Emagic..

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Milo

Post by Milo »

I think that go on Mac is not the solution.
Apple bought Emagic and I think that apple wion't accept advices from anybody. I give them a year: I think that Apple will destroy Emagic at all. The one solution is to change Sequencer...
The Z Station

Post by The Z Station »

Sounds like an omen but that thought came to mind as well.

Pro Tools dominate the Mac world bar-none. Then, there's MOTU's DP, Cubase, and now Logic comes full blast. Do you think there's enough room for them all?

True, Macs have dominated the professional media industry from its beginnings, and in most cases, still is the reigning platform of choice for video, desktop pub, and pro music productions. But, PC's have come a long ways and they now equal, and, in some cases, even surpass that of the Mac's performance.

And, in my observations, Macs, being a strictly "closed" ended proprietary system (although once they gave license to Umax and others to make "MacClones"), still only hold a small piece of the pie and has not gained any significant amount of following. And even with their last futile campaign (The Cube, iMac) was not able to breathe new life into Apple.

My observations:

Pro Tools is still "king" to which every competitor's dream to dethrone. At least, PT is cross platform though a huge portion is predominantly Mac based (which is totally appropriate as it was Pro Tool's birth platform)
MOTU's Digital Performer has been around for quite a while, too, and it, being a Mac based DAW, yet, it has not gained the same popularity such as those designed to run on both Macs and Windows (Logic, Cubase, ProTools). Cubase, and even Sonar seem to be the popular choice for the "average" PC based home studios.
Logic is an awesome DAW, but if Apple does not heed to the avalanche of backlash from WinLogic users, I'm afraid that Logic will slowly meet its demise.
BUT, it could also go the other direction where it will directly compete against Pro Tools and Logic may be Pro Tools' undoing.

I think the current version of Logic is more than adquate to handle the task of producing commercial grade music, even if Logic Platinum 2.0 comes to fruition, you can still make music with what we have now. And, if one is truly disturbed by Emagic's decision, and must have the "best", there are alternatives. The only big deal with this is having to learn another platform, it's not that easy but I'm sure it's not impossible to learn new things.

A lot of these DAW's are just tools, they practically do the same thing but only having different approach to the same result - producing music! Though it's nice to have the latest and greatest music "toys", lest we not discount the creativity and resourcefulness of the producer/engineer behind these tools.

Hopefully, Creamware will play their cards right and consider or reconsider their course of direction and make good sequencer and a new 24bit audio post to complete their product line, then, all the other sequencers will just be 3rd party options.

Go and make music, regardless!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Z Station on 2002-07-02 12:00 ]</font>
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

That ain´t good news at all!!! Also for all Cubase/Nuendo/Samplitude users. Less competition on the windows platform might lead to a lesser overall quality.... Also, being a Samplitude user, I was looking forward to the "Power-R dither", which I won´t get now... What a shame !!

Regards,
Sunshine
lifechanger

Post by lifechanger »

Sonar for $99....come on guys, grab it!
I have Pulsar I, Luna, ProPack, ModII, etc.,
...I've used Cubase and Logic...
but I find Sonar...with integrated SW from Soundforge 3.0 and Acid 3.0...is a very smooth combination on my Athlon 1.4 Thunderbird with 761 chip and DDR Ram.
The deal Cakewalk is offering...the price is right!! The value is astounding!
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

what do you mean intigrated software with acid 3,0? does acid run inside sonar or something?

sorry OT
davo

Post by davo »

Yes I know what you mean Sunshine, but Samplitude will go on and do great things, I can't wait for v6.5, and best of all no Emagic cosmetic looks :smile:

davo
garyb

Post by garyb »

emagic OWNS samplitude!! :lol:
visilia

Post by visilia »

On 2002-07-03 03:53, garyb wrote:
emagic OWNS samplitude!! :lol:
That's not true. They were only the distributor. Check http://www.samplitude.com/ for more information

cheers,
vincent
visilia

Post by visilia »

double post

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: visilia on 2002-07-04 04:34 ]</font>
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Yes, that´s a little bit of a relief!
Nonetheless, I don´t understand why Emagic gives up 35% of their userbase? And what will Apple do to Logic?

Regards,
Sunshine
Zer

Post by Zer »

OS X a. f. are marketed as the ultimate multimedia authoring system. You probably know what happened to BE as they tried to market BeOS in the same manner...no company esp. creamware who first said they will support it developped anything.

So I think it´s rahter a coup by apple to do so than a mistake.

And the pc platform? In Europe the market is down - only the price counts - the avarage products outdate is about 3 months - so emagic probably will be glad to get some feet in us mac market.
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Apple BOUGHT emagic - it's not a case of emagic deciding to drop Windows users. Apple gave emagic's owners a shitload of money and made the decisions themselves. Of course, the emagic directors probably knew the terms of the deal - but these boardroom stiffs obviously don't, and can't be expected to, care about music or users. It's the cold, hard reality of capitalism we're seeing here.

It's an understandable move by Apple - they want to present OSX as THE multimedia production platform. And because, IMHO, Logic is just as 'pro' as Pro Tools, they made a smart move, by challenging musicians and producers to switch to Mac. However, this is devious in the extreme, and I think ultimately this kind of approach backfires. There is no way that I would be bullied into such a move by a corporation such as Apple. Just look at their lame website.. who in their right mind would want anything to do with those dorks?

I really feel for the emagic PC developers, who didn't find out too long before the whole of the internet did. It just goes to show that a company is dictated by the directors, and not the people who lovingly create the software.

I for one, won't be giving in to these underhand tactics. I have been a Windows Logic user for several years, and I'm not about to change now. I am perfectly happy to stay with version 5.2 (which they will soon release) for the foreseeable future. I'm not about to move to an inferior machine just so that I can have the latest bells and whistles on my sequencer. Version 5.2 will do the job very nicely for me for at least 1-2 years, if not more.

Apple can go eat one as far as I'm concerned.

peace
Zer

Post by Zer »

btw. nothing is forever.
The Z Station

Post by The Z Station »

On 2002-07-03 11:53, dArKr3zIn wrote:

I really feel for the emagic PC developers...
Hmmm. CreamWare should hire them on to write a new CW native SEQ/DAW! But sadly, that's only a fantastic dream.... :sad:
The Z Station

Post by The Z Station »

On 2002-07-03 12:32, Zer wrote:
btw. nothing is forever.
True enough, but, even if these music tech toys do get obsolete, it doesn't mean they are useless. I still use my Amiga & KCS Level II sequencer (c. 1991 - talk about an orphanware!).

I do have Logic 5 Plat but I'm only using it for 24bit audio.

One of the reasons why I'm getting Cubase SX is the crossgrade price! I'm practically getting it for free! So, why not?! Then, I'll be more compatible with a lot of studios out there! :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Z Station on 2002-07-03 13:40 ]</font>
astroman

Post by astroman »

One of the reasons why I'm getting Cubase SX is the crossgrade price! I'm practically getting it for free!
It still works - this is how MS built an empire
:lol:
... wanna that database ? that presentation ? that spreadsheet ? all one price, all included...
:lol:

you don't get it for free, you don't even get it cheap - simply because you didn't need it.
The confusion of the situation is used to make you think you can't survive without exactly that app.
Cool it down, this is kind of a mental virus spreading.
I do have Logic 5 Plat but I'm only using it for 24bit audio.
funny, I wasn't able to convince the smaller version (micro av) to record even a single track in that resolution.
For me the interface approach is one big slap in the face of the user. Might be the last chance to say it, so couldn't resist.

cheers, Tom
The Z Station

Post by The Z Station »

Actually for the price I paid for Logic, and if/when I get SX, It amounts to Logic's MSRP. And the fact that I can keep my Logic copy makes it pretty dang irresistable! And, I don't mind having it all! Then, I'll be able to be well versed on both platforms!

True, I can survive without these. I was chugging along fine with my Amiga sequencer and tripleDAT.

But, if only CW continues to support and upgrade tripleDAT, then I wouldn't really need to go 3rd party in the first place.

Skoal!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Z Station on 2002-07-03 20:34 ]</font>
Zer

Post by Zer »

quote: I still use my Amiga & KCS Level II sequencer (c. 1991 - talk about an orphanware!).

boyeee...good to hear that, the amiga has been my introduction into the world of computer´s and what the hell this little thing does although the hardware is limited...Is that sequencer like bars & pipes?

//offtopic ends

And I totally disagree with astroman, I like logics gui an it hasn´t slapped for years :wink:
I personally don´t like rubberline audio handling, but that seems to be solved in SX...if you´d like to use XP, I guess.

Err, well crossgrade for free? Since when? Latest info I got was 299 bucks.

Crossgrade logic win -> logic mac 180 bucks.
astroman

Post by astroman »

hi Zer,

I didn't say GUI. 'Interface approach' means also logical (nice joke) structures of menus and controls - I simply don't get it.
It took me an hour to get a sound out of that epiano.
I haven't been able yet to record a single track of ASIO stream.
You may call me totally dumb for this, I certainly deseve it for that inability.
Yes - I've bought the program and I have the manual around btw.
But such basic task should be self explanatory imho. Anyway, I never intended to record with it, it just made me think they did a terrible job.

cheers, tom
Zer

Post by Zer »

@astro No...it´s not my intention to make somebody upset. But I guess any sequencer needs it´s time of preparation. Cubase is not that easy either, I´d say...the simplest sequencers with the smallest amount of preparation time I know, are still cakewalk and the evolution soundstudio. But as all programs are getting more and more complex, becuase of the users wishlist, the preparation time is growing, too. Most of the so called professional programs I know, need a study before usage, in order to get to know the functionality and the behaviour.

And I don´t call anybody dumb, deaf and blind, until he / she prooved it :wink:

So I´ve to call myself like that, because I misunderstood your text.

But I´m not that fast judging anything until I believe, I know it better.

P.S.: Under some circumstances, the tips & tricks section here is a good resource :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zer on 2002-07-05 07:02 ]</font>