Voice Mic - AT 4033 - Rode NT2 (was: advise on AT4033)-inclu

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

Post by spacef »

see last post ; i finally got a Rode NT2 which is really perfect

After the purchase of a JoeMeek pre-amp that i like very much, thanks to this forum, i am about to get a real microphone, namely the Audio Technica 4033, because according to reviews it seems to do it very well on all siuations.

I have looked in the same range of price, and I only found the RODE NT2, but it doesn't seem to be a good microphone due to (say the reviews: noone was satisfied).

I take opportunity of this forum to get advise on what people use, and if there are other good microphones for a similar price as the AT 4033 (480 euros approx) ? . Here the shops do not have everything (and I even had to order the JoeMeek pre-amp directly from the UK!!)

Thanks in advance, this forum was useful in the past and i look forward reading your experiences.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spacef on 2002-03-02 14:57 ]</font>
kiminet

Post by kiminet »

I use AKG 414 and Brüel & Kjäer 4006 both very very good but expensive.

Kim
astroman

Post by astroman »

at 350 Euro the AT4033 is hard to beat and fits good to the Joemeek - according to my memory from audio examples of reviews.
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

Have a look at the R0DE NTK (valve) and NT1000 (FET).
They are getting excellent reviews price/performance.
The at4033 is a good mike but can sound a little honky sometimes depending on application. Good for miking guitar amps.
As always though it is down to personal taste so see if you can try it out before buying.

(Quick Edit :wink:

Price isn't everything:- recently had to mike up an Australian custom Maton. For this particular guitar, first tried at3038 pencil mike - too bass boomy, even with the mics low cut engaged. Next at4033 - pronounced midrange, a little dull at top. Last R0DE NT3 - nice bright sound and no honk or boom and this is the one we ended up using, cheapest of the lot also :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: bassdude on 2002-02-26 17:49 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

the 4033 is fine.an excellent low budget mike would be one of the cheapy chinese ones going around(such as the marshalls).don't scoff,these mics have the exact same capsule as many other more expensive mics.(rode,audix and cad to name a few) every mic is as different as every voice and none is perfect for everyone.just get one and use it and if you get into it,get another and use it too.
spacef

Post by spacef »

mmm, all this makes it difficult.
I'm still considering the AT4033 due to reviews (look on http://www.sospubs.co.uk/ search AT4033) and I will do Vocals, and only Vocals, man or female.

However the response curve of the Rode NT 2 is similar to what i would naturally do in a equalizer to get a sound I like. I am a bit scared of the lower medium response. Won't it be more difficult to work in the mix? (of course, the response curve may not reflect the "sound" of the mic).
i'm looking for the "sure thing", mainly to record girls :wink: . What do you think ?

1. AT 4033

2. RODE NT2

However, according to polar response, the at4033 could be very straight (dull) and the rode with less high freq than the above.
Arrgl, i don't know what to do!! (testing in the shop in 10 minutes won't help much i'm afraid...)

ps : i confirm again that the JoeMeek MQ3 is an excellent pre-amp.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spacef on 2002-02-27 14:58 ]</font>
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

I have an AT 4035SV, and I like it very much, it sounds really good in all applications so far...

But: 480Euro for the 4033, that´s too expensive, it should be rather 350Euro, not more.
garyb

Post by garyb »

hot for the names.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

You lost me there garyb?????
spacef

Post by spacef »

the AT4033 is 304 euros, but without the shockmount. With the shockmount, i've negociated it for 457 euros, including a popless filter.
garyb

Post by garyb »

only your ears can make a really good choice.no advice or spec sheet can help you find the character and color you are looking for.no mic is perfect for everything or even let's say,a female voice.or at least not on everything with that voice.you want many of those mics out there.right now,you only get 1.i have heard most of them and i can honestly say,"if you can't do something good with any of them, you have no skill,the music is no good,or both.".so don't worry.any of the mics that have been listed in this forum are worthy of REAL productions.(including the $100 marshall)none are perfect for everything,but all can be used for anything.(well maybe they're not the best room mics)if you want the 4033,it'll work great for you.(when it first came out it was the hot hot mic d'jour and many producers swore buy it ESPECIALLY for female vox.)but ahh i think the store where i work has a used one..............
spacef

Post by spacef »

hear, hear, hear, :smile: (nb: hear, hear, hear, is what the Lords says in the British House of Lords when they agree: i heard it myself on a debate about closing Pubs at 10pm, and that was a revolution. Some Deputy said that the beer was sacred and the whole House said "hear hear hear".
Ok that's for your cultural background :wink:

Well, i'll have to make the good choice concerning the microphone, because I can only afford 1 for the moment... Morover, it is quite incredible how little is the choice in France... I don't think i'll find any Marshall Mic or more unusual brand.

I think i'll have to bring the MQ3 to the shop too..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spacef on 2002-02-28 05:31 ]</font>
spacef

Post by spacef »

To GaryB : where is your shop located ?

i spy from your email adress that it could be in France but it could be a coincidence.
(re: igor and grishka from TempsX).
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Have you looked at the Studio Projects C1? An excellent choice and it can be purchased on-line for less than $300 USD. This is one of many now coming out of China. I only mention it in passing as it has become a personal favorite of mine for vox.

The AT mics are all fine choices and highly regarded for vox and other applications. You can't go wrong with an AT mic. If your heart is set on it, do it! You won't be disappointed. My only personal comment about the AT's: I think AT mics lack character but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes I like to pull out a mic that adds a little something, ya know what I mean? The AT mics are honest - they don't add anything nor take anything away. Almost clinical in their sound quality. Again, these are not necessarily negative qualities. I think the AT would make a fine choice in front of the JoeMeek since the JoeMeek already adds enough character.

I also like the Shure KSM series stuff although you don't hear many people talking about those mics.

And while I'm on my soapbox: one last comment. Not enough is mentioned about using a simple dynamic mic on vox. I've recorded amazing vocal tracks using a plain ol' SM57.

All that clarity - yeesh. Sometimes it's cool to just throw any old thing in there and see what you get. Use correct and interesting mic techniques and you can work wonders with almost anything :smile: Good luck - the fun is in the selection, decision!
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's in orange,ca u.s.a. musicians freind should have the marshall.we've sold em b4 too.cheer up! it's mostly good mics these days.most of the big secrets are out in public in regards to mics,currently.
spacef

Post by spacef »

Well, the fun will be for tommorow morning... i must get a good mic.

I know about mic quality vs ambience: myself i do the sound of some hardcore hiphop guys, and their mic is not even a sm57, it's worst and it must have costed 10 USD, and has a pretty incredible sound ( bad but tasty)... but that's hardcore :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spacef on 2002-02-28 23:18 ]</font>
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

I heard Anna Eve Manley say in the EQ-Mag forum, that for their Langevin CR2001 microphones almost all parts were made in China...

Regards,
Sunshine
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Well spacef, have fun choosing. Let me know what you finally get and what you think about it. I'm a bit of a mic hound myself. My collection grows almost weekly :smile: One thing I don't have yet is a good ribbon mic. If anyone has any experience with these, please let me know about it. What brand, model, etc.?

btw: Ebay is a goldmine for new & used mics. Check it out! I've bought a ton of stuff there and saved a small fortune in the process.
spacef

Post by spacef »

I finally got a Rode NT2, because i thought it will sound better on Jeanne's voice, and I wasn't wrong.

I have made an mp3 of the first tests Please excuse Jeanne, it's her absolute first recording (and she'll do very fine with a little bit of work). However, you really hear the mike.

Download MP3-Test Rode NT2 - 2Mb-256kbs/44.1Khz.
Music :
Starmania (the original version of "Tycoon")/La Serveuse Automate (Instrumental) by Michel Berger.

This mp3 doesn't "show" the Rode NT2 in action at all: it shows RodeNT2 + JoeMeekMQ3 + A16 + VSTEq/Compress.

Explanations :
The mp3 shows my first recording with the Rode NT2. It's done at home with no isolation, so it's a very good test for a wide number of home studists.
I have a very basic stand and a popless filter.
Signal goes from Rode NT2 goes to a JoeMeek MQ3 pre-amp (XLR ,phantom is required) then to a Creamware A16, then ADAT Source A is recorded in asio in Cubase VST. Volume is controlled by Pulsar 3 "Channel".

The MQ3 had the Compressor activated at a very low value. A little amount (1/10th) of medium and high were added in the Meekalizer. Basses were let at zero. There are enough basses already.
Rode NT2 and JoeMeek are a good couple.

In VST, a simply applied VST Dynamic for slight compression (limiting). I added 2,2 dB of Eq at 500 K and 5000 K , in order to add more presence and clarity (brightness).
Then a VST reverb.
I cutted the Asio track to remove Room noise.

The result is the Mp3 above. It is not recorded or mixed by the best engineer in the world, but it's the type of voice I like.

Now i can hear what I record, and serious work can begin. It's simply the best mike for Jeanne.

What do you think. :wink:

All the best

PS :
GaryB was right when he said :
,"if you can't do something good with any of them (the mics cited in this topic), you have no skill,the music is no good,or both.".so don't worry.any of the mics that have been listed in this forum are worthy of REAL productions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spacef on 2002-03-02 13:13 ]</font>
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Hey spacef, good for you! I don't have any Rode mics in my collection but I have heard only good things about them. I tried to buy one or two on Ebay a while back but they are highly traded and difficult to win unless you are willing to pay almost full price (I wasn't). I will have to look into a Rode. Have fun!