Sounddiver

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Sounddiver

Post by JoPo »

Hi.
To day, I installed my old beloved Sounddiver on my new w10 64 bit computer. And it doesn't agree to work. On my older pc, same : w10, 64 bit and so on, no problem ! The older pc was first on w7, then has been updated.

I tried all compatiblity w10 mess, run it as admin, as XP, W7, compatibility prog ; nada.

Any idea ? If some of people here still use that software....

Please, don't advice me to use soundquest or the other, it works much less well than sounddiver !

For the moment, I use it on the old computer via rtpmidi + loopmidi but it's a mess ! I get midi loop back easily !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
valis

Re: Sounddiver

Post by valis »

Sounddiver won't see the midi i/o even if you do get the parts that break to work. There's just too much legacy code in there imho, not only is it a 32bit program that can only talk to 32bit capable drivers, but it's also a GDI+ app and WIn7's GDI+ fallback path (This is XP's GUI code) is no longer present in Win10. So you'll get a lot of sluggish behavior and/or dropdown menus that disappear etc.

Some people WERE able to use Win7's full virtual 32bit XP layer (not just the compatibility checkbox) and/or something like virtualbox with XP to get software like this to talk to 64bit drivers & software, but that's even more complex than midi loopback.

-----------------------

I simply use older MOTU midi interfaces that can map midi directly from in to output inside the interface (though the GUI handles the mapping functionality, the actual messages never need to pass through the PC).

This is also how I solved active sensing issues, removed the devices from connecting directly to scope and pass them through an input to the Scope output with the MOTU's message filtering enabled. Micro Expression & MidiTimePiece AV both do this..
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Damn ! The issue is exactly that ! It doesn't see any midi I/O !

But that doesn't explain why I can run it on my older computer which is W10 64 bit with only the difference that it has been updated from W7. It's a pain in the arse !
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

There is something else I don't understand. On XP or W7, I could use sounddiver and cubase at the same time and they both used the same midi I/O.
Now, for any hardware midi I/O, when cubase or any other program is using one of them, other programs don't see it. My arse !
garyb

Post by garyb »

you should not be able to share midi i/o...
each program should have its own midi i/o pair.
valis

Post by valis »

Sounds like you had the 32bit XP subsystem installed in Win7 on that machine, and it survived the upgrade.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

garyb wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:08 am you should not be able to share midi i/o...
each program should have its own midi i/o pair.
But it worked like that for years ! 1998 -> 2018 !
valis wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:33 pm Sounds like you had the 32bit XP subsystem installed in Win7 on that machine, and it survived the upgrade.
Yes... Must be something like that. But I'm really happy to have finally found a Novation Supernova vst editor that works in both directions ! The soundquest supernova allow to manage banks and preset, not to edit patch parameters ! I tried every supenova midi editor and it's never possible to dump the patch in order to edit it. But the Mystery Island one, does ! For my other hardware synths, soundquest files allow to edit evrything.