Windows 10 - what do I need to look out for?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Bud Weiser

Re: Windows 10 - what do I need to look out for?

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:40 pm I’m concerned about not being online all the time.
Will dubya 10 do stupid shit from that?
I always hook it up to check for updates when I’m not gigging.
But noticed it sometimes won’t let tha LAN LEDs on the faceplate side light up, and acts like it’s disconnected.
I’d hate to have crap go wrong when gigging.
Sometimes it’s offline for 4 days.
Well, yeah, that´s what I feared too w/ Win 10.
That´s why I wanted Win7 Pro ...

After Gary replied yesterday, I went to the dealer´s website to pull the trigger,- but even they had 12 "A-category" machines left the day before,- they were sold out unfortunately,- and before I had recognized they had lowered the price by EUR 100,-. :-?

Now I´d have the option to buy the quad core variant W540, 2.7GHz /6mb cache i7 4800QM Haswell w/ Win10 Pro 64Bit pre-installed, licenced by Win8 Pro key in BIOS.
Is that kind of licence policy cool ?
Is Win 10 "free" when there´s a Win 8 licence key existing ???

More of these laptops come ´til march 10,- but all will be Win10 Pro 64Bit already.
Seems I have to go w/ Win 10 too.

:)

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well when I tried upgrading from 8.1 for “free” years back it froze @ 99% several times and I was lucky to get back to 8.1.
After that they installed a file somewhere that nagged my ass like an angry wife to buy W10.
I actually found a guy that made an exe. that elimated the nagging.

But it’s why steered clear of 10 until 2 months ago.

I really like it but it’s because GaryB built it and got rid of lots of crap that “helps” you.

Have Fun with your new toy Bud.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:50 pm Well when I tried upgrading from 8.1 for “free” years back it froze @ 99% several times and I was lucky to get back to 8.1.
After that they installed a file somewhere that nagged my ass like an angry wife to buy W10.

Arrgh ... thx for that reply,- its´ what I feared !
dawman wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:50 pm I really like it but it’s because GaryB built it and got rid of lots of crap that “helps” you.
When I were in the US, I bought your Z97 spares and/or payed for Gary´s services long ago !
At least since my buddy and PC builder lost 75%+ of his eyesight in the age of 57 during cataract surgery end of last year.
But shipping stuff over the pond going thru customs and paying VAT is too expensive.

Because I myself I´m not very good in building gamer or DAW machines and don´t have any experience in Win PC laptop optimization, I talk w/ that guy, then google and ask questions here.
Even he has excellent knowledge about computer hardware, he doesn´t know the demands of SCOPE.
dawman wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:50 pm Have Fun with your new toy Bud.
I didn´t buy anything up to now.
I´m about finding a solution buying the hardware (laptop) w/o Win10 (Win8 key in BIOS) pre-installed, buying a Win 7 Pro OS for cheap and install it myself.
The risk is, when buying the "A-category" used and refurbished laptop w/o OS, it comes without a drive which is no biggie in general,- but hard to test when it arrives.

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Did I tell you Newegg sold me a Z97m WS but sent 2 of them?
I told them to send me a paid shipping sticker and I’ll drop it off at UPS.
They apologized for waiting until Mid Janurary to get back to me then told me they couldn’t accept it because it was an eBay sale?
I’m like wtf do you want me to do, give me your home address then, I don’t want anyone charging me for something months from now.

So I’ve got a Z97 Extreme 6 with your name on it for the price of a one way snail ride.
Probably 40 bucks.

I’ll never get around to using it because Ihave 2 Spare PCs now, this is an extra motherboard, brand new never even opened the static bag.
Get yourself an i7 5775C, i7 4770S or i7 4790k CPU some RAM and you’ll have a Scope friendly rig @ 4GHz plus that will last you years.
I used the Extreme and 4790k for 4-5 nights a week, at least 8 hours everyday for 4 years and it still ran great.
My SSD s on the other hand slowed down from 91,000 IOps Random, to 61,000. They still work though. acronis turned them into spares.

I’ll have this next Christmas still just because I hate fucking with people on Craigslist or eBay always beavering me down on price.
I’d never be a good salesmen because I’d get pissed off too easily at tight fisted cheapskates.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:12 pm Did I tell you Newegg sold me a Z97m WS but sent 2 of them?
Thank you, sounds great !
I´ll send you a PM now.

Bud
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

Just took the plunge a few days ago. Takes an hour to delete all the crap it installs with but after that its like I never missed a beat, everything works fine as before.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
k500zm

Post by k500zm »

@Mr Arkadin In the first post you mention you use Cubase 10 (with latest patch fix)

I was wondering, Is this a patch for users of Scope and if so Where would I get this "latest patch fix" ?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Win10 - I'm using 'Godmode' to turn off ALL redundant background crap. No updates. No background updates.
I don't even have a START button.
I only hook up internet to update some DAW software and/or a few VST's, but otherwise, Win10 runs great on one 5-year old desktop and one 10 year old laptop.

G
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Thanks! I never knew that existed.