Midi 2.0 announced

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

petal

Midi 2.0 announced

Post by petal »

I don't know any details - But I want it, and I want it in Scope (sorry Holger) :)

"The MIDI 2.0 initiative updates MIDI with auto-configuration, new DAW/web integrations, extended resolution, increased expressiveness, and tighter timing -- all while maintaining a high priority on backward compatibility. This major update of MIDI paves the way for a new generation of advanced interconnected MIDI devices, while still preserving interoperability with the millions of existing MIDI 1.0 devices. One of the core goals of the MIDI 2.0 initiative is to also enhance the MIDI 1.0 feature set whenever possible."

"During the prototyping phase, the proposed MIDI 2.0 specification is available only to MMA and AMEI members, because the prototyping process may trigger minor enhancements to the specification. Once a final specification is adopted, it will join the current MIDI specifications as a free download on www.midi.org."

MIDI-2.0-Environment-MIDI-CI-Overview-Diagram-9.jpg
MIDI-2.0-Environment-MIDI-CI-Overview-Diagram-9.jpg (129.85 KiB) Viewed 3208 times

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/ ... Af9r4rdoUU

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/the-m ... rototyping
yayajohn

Re: Midi 2.0 announced

Post by yayajohn »

Is Microsoft on board I wonder?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Awesome, by 2021 they might have the new logo agreed upon.
spacef

Post by spacef »

dawman wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:09 am Awesome, by 2021 they might have the new logo agreed upon.
:D :D
It looks like many developpers are implementing MPE (polyphonic expression), that is used by Rolli keyboard if I am not wrong.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
petal

Post by petal »

It seems like they are quite far in the development. And big important players are onboard, including Google! :o ?

"Los Angeles, CA, January 18, 2019 – The MIDI Manufacturers Association (MMA) and AMEI (the Japanese MIDI association) have finalized the core features and name for the next generation MIDI protocol: MIDI 2.0. Member companies are currently working together to develop prototypes based on a jointly developed, feature-complete, draft specification. A members-only plugfest to test compatibility between some early MIDI 2.0 prototypes is planned for Winter NAMM 2019. Participating companies include Ableton/Cycling '74, Art+Logic, Bome Software, Google, imitone, Native Instruments, Roland, ROLI, Steinberg, TouchKeys, and Yamaha."
Marco

Post by Marco »

It will be a great future! At the Moment CV works best for me!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
dawman

Post by dawman »

spacef wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:49 am
dawman wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:09 am Awesome, by 2021 they might have the new logo agreed upon.
:D :D
It looks like many developpers are implementing MPE (polyphonic expression), that is used by Rolli keyboard if I am not wrong.
True Dat.
I can have fun doing Pedal Steel Guitar licks using a synth maybe.
Everyone loves to discuss PAT and realistic piano action.
A waste of time IMHO.
AFT adds Vibrato just fine.
Some argue I want Vibrato on only one note of a chord, good, then go pay another 3 grand for a technique nobody will notice.

MPE might be the ticket.