Has a RME pcie better Performance with vst Plugins?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marco

Has a RME pcie better Performance with vst Plugins?

Post by Marco »

:D I don't know if rme pcie eg raydat model has better smaller faster latency with vst Plugins than latency problem with the scopers pci card?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
garyb

Re: Has a RME pcie better Performance with vst Plugins?

Post by garyb »

no.
Marco

Post by Marco »

But what means they have implemented vst into their Hardware? Is this just an optimation of the VST latency problem?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
garyb

Post by garyb »

they haven't.
it's just a really good interface.
Marco

Post by Marco »

But there are a lot of good interfaces out there. I had a hammerfall years ago, and l was very disappointed. I believed there propaganda, that I could have any advantages with vst in Hardware. But it succed the same. Yes I could pump latency to 2ms, but the pc system was just coughing and crackles.... In general it succed. The funny mixer was better never used I had my lovely Hardware mixer... I sold this "Solid" piece of hardware again And goodbye!
haba

Post by haba »

I love my Scope cards a lot, but under Samplitude I get cracks at 6ms latency with them, rme hdsp 9652 runs smooth at 6ms, 3ms is possible, but not too many voices...windows 10, xw4600, 8mb, samplitude prox3 suite. The reason why I run only two scope cards...the 3th pci slot is the rme...

"edit" pardon, 7ms

haba
Last edited by haba on Thu May 31, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Marco wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:40 pm :D I don't know if rme pcie eg raydat model has better smaller faster latency with vst Plugins than latency problem with the scopers pci card?
I wonder why you try comparing RME PCIe w/ Creamware (S|C) PCI ...

PCIe vs PCI are different bus speed/ data thruput already,- no ?

So,- comparing RME PCI and Creamware PCI ... just only user adjustable buffer size ...

Already in my Intel Pentium 4 single core 2.4GHz/ ASUS P4T-E/ WinXP SP2 Pro machine using Cubase SX3 together w/ RME Hammerfall (non DSP !!!) 9652, the safe buffersize being adjusted in the card´s settings dialog was 256 samples/ 6ms.
In Cubase SX3, the ASIO driver reported somewhat about 5.3ms or such.

The same machine w/ a Creamware (gen2) 15DSP card inserted into the same PCI slot worked w/ ASIO click free and ULLI set to 7ms.
Sample rate for both was 44.1K and 16Bits,- and in ULLI the next lower sized buffer would be 4ms (which became critical).
SCOPE in use were 1st SCOPE v4.0 and later 4.5.

The same scenario when I used the Intel Pentium D (dual core) 945 w/ Win XP SP3 on ASUS P5WD2 premium mobo w/ Reaper, Studio One Pro (1 & 2 later) and Reason 4 - 6.5.
SCOPE version was 5.1 now ...

So, when you care about theoretical 1-2ms latency in addition, the old RME Hammerfall PCI might be faster than the old Creamware 15DSP PCI card.

But now, when you want a comparison on PCIe basis,- you might want comparing XITE-1D/ XITE-1 connected via PCIe and a RME AiO PCIe card or similar.
And you might want testing SCOPE 7.1 when it´s out.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Marco

Post by Marco »

I compare the possible step I can go, and that is Creamware 15 dsp PCI vs RME pcie raydat. So if it is faster, I would give it a Chance. Because I really have very often messages like, asio connection lost and other fails. This kicks my Inspiration into garbage.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Few years back I was asking about RME cards on the RME forum! (I don't have any RME cards PCI or PCI-e) - A user on their forums commented to me he'd love to have the use of some synths that are available in Scope.

Scope can be a pain to learn how to use it where as other cards have a fixed signal path, Scope does not, very configurable, which is good and bad (if you're stuck)- like learning how to.... VST system link (spdif or ADAT)-sync

But Scope has to be the best all round card (PCI)-mixing/fx/sampling/synths & audio recording

I had a look earlier at the price of RME Raydat and it's 550+ which will do 32 ADAT in&out + a few more. So if someone here already has 2 x A16's or equivalent then these will connect to the RME Raydat but you'll have a headache trying to decide which one to use!!!

Some of the newer RME interfaces can record audio straight onto USB stick without a computer. This is something mentioned when I recently bought a Pulsar 1+ (XLR) from someone using RME! -
astroman

Post by astroman »

RME cards (their Adat ports to be precise) would be my preferred choice to connect a classic Scope system running on XP or even MacOS9 to a 'modern' DAW under Win10. An Adat roundtrip is about 0.5 ms, which you may either neglect or easily compensate (since it's constant).
Imho it's best of both worlds and much easier than to tweak modern hardware/drivers.
They even sell twin-PC cases today, so it doesn't need more space.
valis

Post by valis »

I run RME cards in 2 other machines alongside my Scope cards, and have them all synced via word lock and have ADAT & SPDIF/AES running everywhere alongside analog I/O all connected to my mixing boards. Routing options are too numerous to mention, but as long as I have all my connections documented there’s little I can’t do and Scope is just another piece of hardware as far as my DAW cares...
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'm using all the stuff i once had in XP in Windows 10, and everything works pretty much as always.
valis

Post by valis »

Same here, with the exception that my version of Wavelab requires elevated priveledges in Win10 and that stops drag & drop behavior, as explorer.exe runs at a different priority level. WIthout that elevation tweak however, it won't write the necessary configuration files to the user/appdata/ area, and won't work... I could upgrade but it's only a minor annoyance.

While we're on the subject, both RME & Scope have been wonderful investments of time and money. The support from both companies has been excellent and so long lived that I am actually running 1 of my 2 Multiface boxes off of a PCI interface, in an older dual Xeon (2008 era), while my PCI based Scope cards are *still* running in a 2001 era dual xeon rig that was built around them. Since that mostly runs the Scope GUI, it's actually still on XP as well and has seen little change in the 17 years it's been with me, aside from juggling components to reduce heat and noise. I might change that box soon (to cut power & heat even further, as well as modernize the Scope box), but it's impressive to find products specifically in the computer+audio realm that give nearly 2 decades of service including driver & software support.