Building PC Pulsar 1 + Luna no breakout cable

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Mullum

Building PC Pulsar 1 + Luna no breakout cable

Post by Mullum »

Scope user from way back in the day here, Planet Z member since early naughties.
Missed Scope so much I decided to come back.
First step was to buy some pci cards (P1 + Luna) but made a big mistake - bought without breakout cable being included:-(
I'm going to have to spend a lot of time reading on here to catch up with the platform as it stands today.
First question - is the Pulsar 1 useable without a breakout cable (or are they available somewhere)?
Second question - any advice on putting together a diy PC? (motherboards etc). Doesn't need to be a powerhouse, just needs to run Scope, so it'll be built on a budget.
Last question - do I need to get anything from the seller, like getting the hardware or software transferred to me? (I was given a list of activation keys and serial numbers, up to Scope v4 I believe.
Apologies if I've posted in the wrong area.
Last edited by Mullum on Sat May 05, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petal

Re: Building PC Pulsar 1 + Luna no breakout cable

Post by petal »

Welcome back :)

You could use the I/O's on the Luna card - which you would like to run as primary anyways to gain lowest possibe latency.

You can also make you own breakout cable:
http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... wn#p281892

For a recent discussion on mobo/chipsets that works with SCOPE PCI-cards look here:
http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35301

You should be ok with the activation keys, but it would be better if you have the sellers "key-file" with all the included keys on it.

You would propably like to upgrade to Scope 7 and get all the goodies included there - Have a look at Sonic Core's homepage for more info.
Mullum

Post by Mullum »

Thank you very much for the reply.
I understand you can use 3 pci cards at once, so should my next purchase should be one of the dsp laden cards?
Good tip to use the Luna i/o, I should've mentioned that my main daw interface has a few spare Adat input/output ports too 🤙🏼
The seller just told me he may have the breakout cable in his studio and will send when he gets back in a few weeks. 🤞🏼 Otherwise I'll have to beg a friend to make one for me, my soldering skills are abysmal. The seller supplied me with a DVD and that may have the key file of it. 🤞🏼
I actually used to custom build pcs for friends back in the day, so at that time I knew better than most what cpu/mobo to get. I'll be starting from scratch all over again :-/
I was tempted to buy v7 a few months back when they had an offer, but decided to get the project going first. I keep thinking of all the abandoned computers that could've been perfect for running Scope! I guess the advantage of building from scratch is going to be future-proofing, to a degree.
Thanks again for your tips 👍🏼
petal

Post by petal »

As long as it is a SCOPE card with DSP chips on it, you can use it as the third card.

You don't have to custom build a machine, just make sure that mobo/chipset works fine with Scope from several threads in here. You will be able to find olded builds as well in there.