MPA: Mixers

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

inDSP Frank
Creamware Founder

MPA: Mixers

Post by inDSP Frank »

Hi. In a previous thread ("MPA: A whole new Chapter for SCOPE" in Announcements) I was introducing you to some background and the actuality of an upcoming new relative to SCOPE - the MPA Platform. In further threats I am throwing some topics at you - eager to see what you say!

Let's talk Mixers.

Yamaha was smarter than me. Back in 1998/1999 I was trying my best to explain to people not just a new product - but a whole new category of a system, previously unseen. YOU will know for yourself how that is when you explain your SCOPE to someone completely oblivious to non-mainstream concepts!

Then Yamaha came around saying "Hey boys look we shrunk the O2R into a PCI card!" and stole my show although their product was sounding terrible and was as flexible as a tombstone.

In retrospect, shouldn't SCOPE have gone to market as a kind of sleek digital mixer?
Isn't mixing - next to your synthesis - actually the one thing you are doing with your SCOPE?
Isn't mixing the one concept everyone in any part of Pro Audio understands and uses?
Anyone heard about the Salzbrenner POLARIS evolution yet?

- Frank

PS: And why doesn't EVERY SCOPE user have a set of neat motorfaders on his desk??
faxinadu

Re: MPA: Mixers

Post by faxinadu »

actually personally i have never mixed in scope. i use scope for the routing, the synthesis, the modular, effects and the multiple midi drivers.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

I use my Scope Xite-1 for all of it.

The synths, the modular, the routing, the samplers, the step sequencers/arpegs (when they work), the effects and the mixing.

Thank god it was never a one trick pony. The reason I love scope and my Xite-1 is that its a whole studio in a 1u rack.

It would be cool to have scope specific motorised faders.
Maybe a little like cc121 or bcf2000.

Scope is so well designed though it’s perfectly comfortable just using the pc keyboard to control the faders, which is why I probably never bothered getting a bcf2000. For me it’s not a necessity and I don’t like taking up space (as cool as a bunch of motorised faders would be)
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

inDSP Frank wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:43 am Yamaha was smarter than me. Back in 1998/1999 I was trying my best to explain to people not just a new product - but a whole new category of a system, previously unseen. YOU will know for yourself how that is when you explain your SCOPE to someone completely oblivious to non-mainstream concepts!

Then Yamaha came around saying "Hey boys look we shrunk the O2R into a PCI card!" and stole my show although their product was sounding terrible and was as flexible as a tombstone.
Interestingly enough, I was going to buy one of those Yamaha DSP Factory cards (I think that was the name) and was quite convinced that I was going to buy it. After demoing it for a while I thought it was fairly amazing (for the day), but I asked the guy at Digital Village what he used. He said a Pulsar. I gave a blank look. He gave me some brochures, but told me to wait a bit as there was a new Pulsar II coming out soon. What great advice!

In the end I bought a Pulsar II+ and PowerSampler II as soon as they came out, The only reason I bought PowerSampler II was that at the time I didn't really understand the whole Scope concept yet (and the music shops didn't really understand either) and I thought that the sampler was a separate product to Pulsar II. I didn't realise the sampler could run on Pulsar II and that the PS II card just acted as extra DSP. Of well, having that extra DSP worked out well anyway, and in hindsight the DSP Factory card would have sounded out of date very quickly and would also not still be usable in a PC - unlike Scope cards which I used for many years until I got an XITE-1.

I don't think this new concept is for me, but I'll wait until I unstersand it a bit better. It sounds a bit too Cloud-based for me (I really am not into Cloud-based products as they rely on a connection and subscription) - I like my products stand-alone. But of course that may not be what your model is ay all so I may be jumping the gun a bit.
Marco

Post by Marco »

:o first I was very sceptical when I heard that a Yamaha 02r was shrinked to a little pci card, good I never believed! Today I have a real yamaha 02r with meter bridge and all cards inserted I need in that extrem heavy metal chassis build like a killer tank! It is connected with scope via Adat and it is the greatest combination because you can have a software and a hardware mixer. I love Hardware, because it is not getting outdated and Eve if the producers company dies, you are not the ass! This is beautiful. I can use the mixer as an audio stream Management System without Windows, without Internet.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
inDSP Frank
Creamware Founder

Post by inDSP Frank »

Thanks for your comments...

Faxi: Where do you mix if not in SCOPE?

Mr Arkadin: Hear your concerns. Cloud is actually cool as an option for storage and collaboration, but for any operation of the system you'll be entirely independent from the cloud.

Liquid: When you mix in SCOPE, are you running your plugins in mixer inserts or do you prefer to do custom routing of effects in the project window?

Marco: O2R for sure is legend! Are you actually using any of the O2R for AD/DA?
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Bit of both. It feels nicer putting them in inserts. So mainly inserts. But sometimes it’s more useful outside.
Marco

Post by Marco »

I multiply one of the Inputs of 1 Adat connection from scope with the 02r. I Route any channel via the 8 Bus through the Adat into scope. So I can expand the Inputs of my scope card. It is a Audio mixing Routing Management System.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Marco wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:34 pm I multiply one of the Inputs of 1 Adat connection from scope with the 02r. I Route any channel via the 8 Bus through the Adat into scope. So I can expand the Inputs of my scope card. It is a Audio mixing Routing Management System.
I miss my 0v-1! :-? Loved all der blinken lites too.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
dawman

Post by dawman »

I use Scope as a live mixer.
Have done so since 2006.
Routed hardware fix and synths into it.
Still do things the same way except I found the plug ins that were good enough to replace hardware and use those.
dNa FX Rack and RoyT got me covered.

Used the Yamaha DMP7 for years with its built in SPX 90 and a PCM 70 for external Fox.