John Bowen / Zarg Music With V7 64bit

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Liquid EDGE

Re: John Bowen / Zarg Music With V7 64bit

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Bud Weiser wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:38 am
Liquid EDGE wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:33 am I’m on Xite win xp 32bit.
Solaris works ok for me. ... Very few patches can not go above 1 voice.
IMO, for a polyphonic device of that caliber, every patch should go far above 1 voice.
Ideally at least 10 voices like hardware Solaris ...
Maybe some 3rd row "features" can be sacrificed to get that fat sound w/ more polyphony always ?
JoPo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:47 am Solaris on v7 works much better than with Scope 5.1, for me. ...
Well, the same "for me" in 2 posts above ...
It might be a bit harsh, but what works for you doesn´t mean it works as it should.
When developers read "works for me" often enough, they might think everything is o.k.,- but it isn´t.
JoPo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:47 am I didn't had any trouble by trying a lot of presets with 2 voices.
Well, 2 voices are better than 1, but that´s duophonic at best and unacceptable for a polyphonic synth IMO.

Don´t forget, when using longer release times, the trouble begins already w/ synths working flawlessly with, let´s say,- 5 voices ...
With polyphonic synths, you always need some voices in background to be assigned in rotate mode avoiding decaying notes to be cut abruptly.

Liquid EDGE wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:33 am But Solaris working well with ... 6 voices minimum always * would be awesome ! :D
* I fixed that for ya !

And yes, it would be awesome.
Liquid EDGE wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:35 am
Faxi does not have Xite. It’s a shame really. As a 3rd party developer I think he really should!
+1

I´d wish every 3rd party developer had one.
There were good deals, SCOPE v7 and SDK v7 included ...
Maybe that will be extended,- until now it didn´t disappear from S|C website.
JoPo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 am Apparently it would be a Scope problem, not a plugin developers problem. So the best is to wait for Scope 7.1.
I doubt bug fixing the platform automatically fixes 3rd-party plugins/devices.

:wink:

Bud
Agree with all of that.
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Bud Weiser wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:06 am Up to now, hardware Solaris, even it´s a brilliant synthesizer, sucks MIDI wise when it comes to be a keyboard controller instrument.
The MIDI implementation isn´t complete at all.
I don´t need more keyboards anyway and own the Kurzweil PC361 which is a VERY nice MIDI controller, has the Fatar TP9S semi-weighted synth action, lots of programmable buttons and sliders, enough pedal connectors and a 3-zone ribbon controller as well,- which makes it a great controller also for a Solaris expander.
Well, the next Solaris OS release addresses a lot of the missing MIDI things, however, if you’re wanting the Solaris keyboard to be like a multi-purpose controller, you are correct in using something with freely assignable sliders and knobs, etc. I never meant the Solaris to turn into a MIDI Controller. I know a few have suggested that we should have a mode where the user can reassign every knob and controller on the Solaris as a MIDI controller item. I don’t know how much work that would entail, but I suppose it could be done...but it's not the current focus of development.

The Kurzweil stuff is great, and as you say, are more suited as MIDI controllers.

Cheers,
John B.
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

I did a quick test on Solaris 4 after installation of Scope7. Assigned Solaris to dsp9 and released it from the dsp right afterwards. Cranked the poly up to 5 voices and started scrolling through some of the soundbanks. From the +- 120 presets I scrolled through I got ONLY 6 or 7 'dsp errors' on some of the presets with voicecount set to 5. Also loading seems faster. So poly is not really an issue here, as expected.. Will try Prowave and Qwave SE later when I have more time.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I used the Roland D-05 controlled by Solaris and it’s a match made in Heaven.
Presets are mapped, joystick and ribbon mapped, Filter sweeps on Ribbon is awesome.
I can tap on it rhythmically or just glide.
I liked it so much I made a Solaris as a controller Bank for 2018.
While not being a full fledged controller it controls AFT and other basic CCs nicely.
Blending custom pres is most rewarding....

Thanks again JB for the ultimate FAT Bastard... 8)
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

johnbowen wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:43 pm
I never meant the Solaris to turn into a MIDI Controller. I know a few have suggested that we should have a mode where the user can reassign every knob and controller on the Solaris as a MIDI controller item. I don’t know how much work that would entail, but I suppose it could be done...but it's not the current focus of development.
Hi John !

I had many synths not being MIDI-controllers in my life, so I don´t expect Solaris keyboard synthesizer to be one.
I bought 2 Prophet 5 new as 1st owner, rev2 and rev3 ... just examples ...
Solaris is a phantastic synthesizer, probably the best VA synth design being realized in this decade.
All I typed above was about explaining why I´d prefer a rack, that´s all.
In fact I was surprised you plan releasing a rack, desktop/ OB-Xpander style unit.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
dawman

Post by dawman »

Gimme a Rack.
Don’t need knobs, LCDs, or even a Ribbon.
I use a Leap Motion controller with GeCo MIDI and can do sweeps by waving my hand across it.
A rack with Stereo XLR Out, MIDI In, USB In and Digital Out would be worth a few large.
I’ve become so proficient with my Physis K4 that I would retire hardware Solaris.
I’ve been beating it up for years now.
It deserves a decent burial in my project studio.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 pm Gimme a Rack.
Don’t need knobs, LCDs, or even a Ribbon.
In emergency and service situations a small display, some buttons and keypad w/ +/- and/or cursors is helpfull.
It should be operable standalone, even it´s menue diving then.
Earphones output w/ volume control is essential IMO.
dawman wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 pm A rack with Stereo XLR Out ...
I understood he won´t do that.
C´mon,- we can live w/ balanced TRS,- using angled plugs and when fixed wired in a rack,- no ?
dawman wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 pm I’ve become so proficient with my Physis K4 ...
I really hope we´ll see a version w/ 76-keys synth action Fatar TP-9S semi-weighted I can put on top of my flat-top weighted action keyboard.
It´s all about I like the heavier action on my old one more than the Fatar TP40L of K4 and hate TP100 in K5.

Bud
Secret Test Kitchen

Post by Secret Test Kitchen »

So........what I'm getting here is there is still no reason to buy the Solaris plugin for XITE?
garyb

Post by garyb »

it depends.

it can still do some incredibly super things, even with the limitations. if it's useful, it's not a waste. if it's not useful, there are many other synths that sound cool.
Secret Test Kitchen

Post by Secret Test Kitchen »

garyb wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:08 pm there are many other synths that sound cool.
and how!

Scope comes stock with a Mini, Prophet, and an Odyssey. You almost don't need anything else really.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Not to mention the myriad of amazing synths by other debs, many of them are free as well. For example check out the incredible devices created by Roy Thinnes, aka CWM. Also some great older freebie synths by Wavelength, Orbitone, to mention just a few. And of course there is always Modular. :)

If you really do want to use Solaris v5 without worrying about any potential issues that it may have on Xite and if you have a spare PCI slot (or spare pc if not) you could always look at the Sales section of the forum for a Scope Pro 15 dsp card...just a thought.
astroman

Post by astroman »

good thought - years ago I had a Foxconn mini-itx Atom board with a single PCI slot that delivered superior bus performance.
(should be cheap today, add memory, a plug ATX power regulator and a 12V 80 Watt source, a slot extender to mount the card 90 degrees turned, a small rack, and some TFT)
Iirc it featured the Intel 945 chipset, dunno about more recent models, though. The thingy could do 32 track live recording via VDAT to a notebook HD.

cheers, Tom
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

astroman wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:32 am ... - years ago I had a Foxconn mini-itx Atom board with a single PCI slot that delivered superior bus performance.
cheers,
This ? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6813186194

Bud
astroman

Post by astroman »

it's been > 5 years... they all look very similiar, maybe 45CS - it was one of the first such units 150€ back then.
I was quite p*ssed by the 30 Watt burned in the graphic unit for a plain 2D display - needed a fan (or a non-standard cooler)
But iirc it scored 15 Masterverbs. If VDAT had been more stable with the (real) Alesis BRC, I would have kept it, but it's sync loss was too unpredictable.

cheers, Tom