Scope 7

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Scope 7

Post by fraz »

Hi,

Well I never - :) - Couldn't believe it, received an email from S|C about the arrival of Scope 7 - And it's compatible with PCI cards as well - Yipee -

And it seems to have all the golden oldies included too such as STS samplers - Will these work with x64 bit? - Garyb mentioned ages ago that this wasn't possible, now it is ???

Will X99 chipsets and others work with Scope 7? - or is it the trusty Z97 / Intel socket 1150 motherboards - Either way it doesn't matter too much but it's worth asking -

Really good to see this release :)
garyb

Re: Scope 7

Post by garyb »

these have been the questions asked the last few days.

samplers-not yet.

newest computers being compatible?
probably, but i don't think anyone knows for sure yet. the new driver should be fully compliant, so...
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Why do people care so much about the samplers?
dante

Post by dante »

Apparently because STS has superior sound to Kontakt playing AKAI samples back. I play AKAI samples using NNXT and can't tell the difference yet. But I'm thinking of doing more comprehensive tests on fuller samples to see if NNXT takes into account the full structure of the samples without translation mucking with the layers etc.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

dante wrote:Apparently because STS has superior sound to Kontakt playing AKAI samples back. I play AKAI samples using NNXT and can't tell the difference yet. But I'm thinking of doing more comprehensive tests on fuller samples to see if NNXT takes into account the full structure of the samples without translation mucking with the layers etc.
Ah was that the transient thing talked of way back?

Dammit fix those samplers. :lol:
fraz

Post by fraz »

Music Manic wrote:Why do people care so much about the samplers?
We all might have different reasons - For me it's because they were reported not to work in 64 bit and also because it was one of the staple plugins. We all want everything to work in everything - You know what I mean - :)

Of course the work around is not using 64 bit - and using VEP over LAN to get the best of both worlds OR to have a 2nd HDD with an install for both 32 and 64 - Then everything is covered
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

dante wrote:Apparently because STS has superior sound to Kontakt playing AKAI samples back. I play AKAI samples using NNXT and can't tell the difference yet. But I'm thinking of doing more comprehensive tests on fuller samples to see if NNXT takes into account the full structure of the samples without translation mucking with the layers etc.
For me it’s not that.
I’d imagine a well made sample pack is going to sound hardly any different. Maybe though the filters themselves will reveal a difference in quality.

But. Sts can record on the fly.

Me and my mate did a quick test recording a sample (a dark energy synth sound) with sts and sticking a low pass filter on it.

Did the same with kontakt. (But of course had to record with soundforge and then load the sample as kontakt does not record) stuck a low pass filter on it.

Kontakt sounded not so good in comparison.

Plus I do as little as possible in cubase. Preferring to do as much processing with scope. I don’t have a very powerful pc. It’s not needed the way I work.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

fraz wrote:
Music Manic wrote:Why do people care so much about the samplers?
We all might have different reasons - For me it's because they were reported not to work in 64 bit and also because it was one of the staple plugins. We all want everything to work in everything - You know what I mean - :)

Of course the work around is not using 64 bit - and using VEP over LAN to get the best of both worlds OR to have a 2nd HDD with an install for both 32 and 64 - Then everything is covered
And this!
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:these have been the questions asked the last few days.

samplers-not yet.

newest computers being compatible?
probably, but i don't think anyone knows for sure yet. the new driver should be fully compliant, so...
With no release for years I was trying to predict which way Scope 7 would go if it ever surfaced - EG most or all the plugins being new and no STS 3000, 4000 and 5000 - But as it turns out all the older plugins are there which is great

If it aint broke don't fix it - and fix only what is broke - and then if there are NEW plugins afterwards then great

There was also talk of audio-biscuit or something - a sequencer like cubase to load all the plugins directly in the sequencer -PROJECT MODE was the best mode - XTC mode did work but a lot of messing around - with project mode everything is available

I'm sure S|C will get working what it can get working
petal

Post by petal »

I played around with the sts5000 in 64bit mode today. It seemed to work fine, but I didn't do any thorough testing though.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

petal wrote:I played around with the sts5000 in 64bit mode today. It seemed to work fine, but I didn't do any thorough testing though.

trust me, it crashes :/ i've been doing extensive testing on the sts.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
petal

Post by petal »

OK - Well, at least we now know that work is being done on Scope :)
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

petal wrote:OK - Well, at least we now know that work is being done on Scope :)
It’s great to see fruition of it all. Must of been a tough one scrapping 6. But like Nintendo’s attitude. Better late and good (well fantastic shall we say) than rushed/pushed out the door.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Dante,- it´s the filters sounding way better in STS,- compared to Kontakt and as well as compared to a real AKAI S-1000 and S-1100 too.
So,- it also depends on how the sampler (original / NI / Phead or what else) is in use.

When just only using a sample which originally didn´t had the filter in use and the converted program doesn´t also, there´s a chance you won´t hear much difference.
But I also found Kontakt not sounding identical when loading a program/sample into the original sampler and doing the same w/ Kontakt after the sample and program was converted w/ CD-Xtract from AKAI format into Kontakt format.

The same experience I had w/ Steinberg Halion 2 before,- and I always used CD-Xtract for conversion since it did it best for AKAI S1K/3K format, EMU III format and Kurzweil (.krz) as well as also offered the right target formats for the software instruments (Kontakt / Halion / SF2 / WAV etc.).
OTOH,- "best" is widely interpretable since it probably meant "for an application offering SEVERAL source and target sample formats".

For some stuff you have only 2 choices, CD-Xtract and/or Chickensys,- then some is covered by Extreme Sampleconverter which appeared later,- and today for EMU EII, EIII, Emax 1 & 2 as also Oberheim DPX-1 (and AKAI,- but not both directions), EMXP (freeware) is the right tool.

But we all know, all the playbackparamaters are in the programs and not in the sample and most sample conversion programs suffered from program conversion most, since the program´s functionality depends on the hardware architecture of the sampler which not always is exactly re-created in software sample-players, if at all.
EMU is even harder to convert and to make sound right than AKAI ...
When I converted EMU CDs for Halion 2, it was a joke.
When the "Program" had several sample layers, these were all on separate MIDI channels suddenly and there were more stuff not working correctly.

Phead NNXT might be a different story.
I didn´t invest the time converting for Phead too since CD-Xtract didn´t offer that format in the past and I had no intention buying more sample conversion apps,- but I loaded some AKAI floppy disks into Reason 4 /NNXT when the old "reload" utility was released ... https://www.propellerheads.se/press/15- ... ad-utility ...
And Reload did it indeed pretty good because it was specialized for AKAI format into Reason samplers.
I believe it´s abandoned since some time but I guess Phead uses these (and probably upgraded) routines still in Reason.

Finally ...
To me it seems STS is an AKAI sampler in DSP code, it´s a model of the S-1000 w/ advanced DSP features offered.
That´s the difference to the native competitors which do it ALL and are NO AKAI model.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
garyb

Post by garyb »

it will get fixed.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:it will get fixed.
That´s great !

I don´t have any complains anyway,- it works for me in 32Bit ... :D

When it will be fully functional in 64Bit in future, I´ll be happy too.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, i mean, if it's possible.
i expect it to happen.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hello

Is Scope 7 delivered on physical CD/DVD or download?
petal

Post by petal »

Download
fraz

Post by fraz »

petal wrote:Download
OK, so another question about the authorization

Is it the same as on Scope 5.1? - User installs > gets some string of code > sends this to S|C via email > S|C generate a key file?

Is this the same now?

I placed order for Scope 7 and email states I receive activation code in 12 hours - I just need to make sure how this works - And I've got a few PCI cards now so need to put Scope 7 Application on 2 of these and the App+SDK on another

Is it necessary to install Scope 7 > get string > email S|C with string > get keyfile back?

And also now I wait for S|C to send me the download links, is this correct? -

Couple of repeats in there - :)
Last edited by fraz on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.