routing help GAM

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Interference

routing help GAM

Post by Interference »

Hello guys,

I need your advices. What is the best way to connect a bass/guitar using the celmo GAM/BAM.

I tried using the asio outputs plugged in the BAM and using the effect send in cubase routed to the asio output, this allows to record a dry sound and modulate it through the effect and apply more or less effect with the effect send level, I think this is pretty good. What would you recommend knowing I think the best is to record the dry sound.

Thanks!
astroman

Re: routing help GAM

Post by astroman »

the most effective way is to record the dry signal with a good(!) DI-box or instrument input of an interface and on a parallel path either the amp/cabinet simulation or the amp sound by microphone.

Bass is more tricky in this domain if you're after a typical Rock bass sound, which is the biggest challenge. The classic setup of a P-Bass, Ampeg SVX amp and 8x10 cabinet is hard to emulate... and equally hard to record as it might get loud... very loud :D

Anything else is easy imho - if the instrument is good, it often doesn't even need much else than the DI-signal. Maybe a bit of drive and eq... I'd save the hassle of mic recording in those cases.

Scope makes it easy to handle parallel inputs and can compensate for the tiny deviation of the direct versus processed signal, but a Scope card has no instrument input.
You can use the card's connector only if your bass has an active circuit onboard.
Otherwise you have to transform the instrument's output by a DI.
Interference

Post by Interference »

Thanks Astroman!

My question was more about the routing. As I said I plugged one of the Asio outputs to the BAM, then I can apply more or less effects with the send effect control in cubase. Is it the most efficient way to proceed?
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, this suggests that you already have a recorded bassline.
In that case you can apply the BAM process as described, just take care of the Asio latency.
If the tracks aren't perfectly aligned, you'll loose much definition.
I like Celmo's plugins a lot, but never got warm with the BAM on bass - it's too much blur imh ears and it can't do the Ampeg thing as mentioned above at all.
But you may be after a different bass sound, as usual it's a matter of taste.

My personal 'best experience' with guitar/bass amp plugins were the iPad apps JamUp and BIAS by Positive Grid.
Not the early releases and not the late (current) ones - but in between they were close to the holy grail of emulation.
But never mind because with Apple you can't turn back the wheels of time - I still have that stuff on an old iPad, but it can't be bought (or downgraded) anymore. Sucks.

cheers, Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

Radial DIs are great quality if you ever need one.
We use a splitter so the mic gets A and direct out gets B.
2 Channels hard panned, one gets a dbx comp insert for a pseudo parallel comp sound.
Drive comes from gain on the comp.
FOH sounds better than the SVT Stage amp, plus he plays at a lower level.