Sonic core's mini compared to the Roland's new mini!

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marco

Sonic core's mini compared to the Roland's new mini!

Post by Marco »

Sonic core's mini compared to the Roland's new mini! WHO IS THE BETTER, Who can compare???

Who is the winner? Or is it really smartest idea to have both?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
spacef

Re: Sonic core's mini compared to the Roland's new mini!

Post by spacef »

the SE2 is not a mini model...
may be wait for Behringer's....
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
Marco

Post by Marco »

The Roland's has presets like the sonic core one. Minimax can be polyphonic, that's a big advantage. Okay it eats one dsp for each voice pci version, but I have 45,so I don't care.
The Behringers mini is for non preset players and it can be integrated into a Modular system.

But how is the sound compared to Minimax?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Well, Dawman has an Xite, and now owns 2 SE-2 “minis”. That alone says something about the SE-2.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jksuperstar wrote:Well, Dawman has an Xite, and now owns 2 SE-2 “minis”. That alone says something about the SE-2.
No.

He used 2 real hardware SE1X before and found the Roland/Studio Electronics SE-02 on par w/ his old Studio Electronics SE1X.

A Studio Electronics SE1X is somewhat the architecture of a Minimmog,- but it´s not really a Minimoog clone.
The real Minimoog clone form Studio Electronics was the Midimini, where they already started using circuit board replications.
The original Studio Electronics MINIMOOG reckmount synth was the "Midimoog",- which had only original Minimoog circuit boards inside, as long it was possible to find these in original condition from trashed Minis !

Even the MOOG re-issue is not really the same since it has a different action and the old Pratt-Read action w/ busbars and spring contacts IS part of the Minimoog D´s sound,- will say,- you HEAR these contacts in the attack portion of the sound,- like it is on a Hammond and the keyclick.
But on a Hammond, it´s always there, on a Minimoog D it depends on the patch you dial in.
Means:
You´ll get many (if not most) patches you´ve heard from Minimoog D in recordings also from other solutions, but not ALL.
And only these few sounds make a Minimoog D what it is.
AND,- you won´t get it from Minimax too, even it is one of the best Minimoog emulations out there since decades.
One of the most tricky behaviours to model is the Minimoog D feedback loop when one of the outputs (Hi or Lo) is feed back into the mic (audio) input, runs thru mixer and filter again, being shaped by ENV modifiers and appears at the audio output again.
Every Minimoog D behaves differnt w/ this feature,- and it´s one of the most important features used in music w/lead and bass synthesizers.
Now good luck mimiking that via DSP programming not knowing, "do they use LO- or HI- Gain output for the feedback loop and what frontpanel settings are made w/ those options".
It´s pretty hard to capture !

And on Minimax, exactly that is totally wrong when I compare to my Minimoog D.

Behringer D ...

It´s the closest hardware emulation I´ve ever heard from demos.
I hate commenting on demos ...

Because it´s an expander module, you won´t get the mechanical contact noises of a instrument which was fitted w/ an early Pratt-Read keyboard (and I don´t mean any Pratt-Read j-wire contact keyboard like in Prophet 5 - all revisions).

A.C.
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Marco

Post by Marco »

jksuperstar wrote:Well, Dawman has an Xite, and now owns 2 SE-2 “minis”. That alone says something about the SE-2.
Yes I wait for his comparison.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Too big and FAT to compare with Digital VAs or 1s and 0s.