Master the production

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fidox

Master the production

Post by fidox »

Hi !

We want to improve while producing all the time, so, after years i realize i trusted my ears and speakers more than actual sound.
I was pushing sound and eq's too high , bass an drums, all became too muddy :)
i'm more into electronic music, but , anyway, all tips are welcomed.

How's your typical setup while producing.
When you choose your sounds, modules, instruments, effects, processors...then :
What's first main priority in your setup ?
Main focus in eq sounds ?
Main mix - extra eq, little compressor, limiter, maximizer ?
How you work with bottom frequency , bass + drum, where is the best freq to put both, ducking ?

I know i can't have pro setup in my room, it's not acoustical, also my monitors are low budget. :roll:

Please share some thoughts, tips :)

Best
Last edited by fidox on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marco

Re: Master the production

Post by Marco »

One of the easiest ways to get a good sound:

I always control my mixes with professional productions and when you compare with the same type of music, then you hear it fast what it is missing or maybe not.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
fidox

Post by fidox »

ups, there's already another thread of mine :)

http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34896
garyb

Post by garyb »

unfortunately, there is no step by step guide in existence or even possible.
there are principles but those have to be discovered through years of study and effort. there is no magic plugin, tool or technique that will always provide success.

the first step is in the mix itself. don't mix while you create, and when you DO mix, be sure to edit, eq and adjust so that the spectrum is as even as possible from low to high frequencies. this will make the mastering process so much easier. don't attempt to master, until the mix is reasonably under control.

listen to your work on as many different systems as possible to understand where your strengths and weaknesses are. don't try to make the finished cut on your studio system sound like a huge club system. a fairly flat spectral response in your studio equals a great sound on a big system. a big sound in your studio will probably be a muddy distorted mess in a club. the reason is that playback systems are designed to hype certain parts of the music, while reference monitors are designed NOT to hype things.

sorry to help so little, but....
fidox

Post by fidox »

garyb wrote: listen to your work on as many different systems as possible to understand where your strengths and weaknesses are. don't try to make the finished cut on your studio system sound like a huge club system. a fairly flat spectral response in your studio equals a great sound on a big system. a big sound in your studio will probably be a muddy distorted mess in a club. the reason is that playback systems are designed to hype certain parts of the music, while reference monitors are designed NOT to hype things.
hehe, yea, that's why i have friend, where i can listen in a room or in car with big sound setup
and then i get disappointed.
garyb

Post by garyb »

of course. it IS disappointing, but if you notice your mistakes, you can avoid them in the future.