Smart phone & midi

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Smart phone & midi

Post by JoPo »

Hi !

I don't have a smart phone since I don't need one at all. But I inherited one from someone. And I'd like to use it to remote control my daw via midi.
Via midi is very important because with ALL remote control apps for android or apple which use something else than midi, the daw application in your pc must be the active application for working. And it's precisely when the daw is NOT the active pc application that I need to remote the daw.
If the daw is active, I use simple keyboard shortcuts to remote it ! So there is something I'm missing : what is it used for a remote control app working only if the daw is the selected app or active computer app ?? :-?

Anyway...

I don't know NOTHING about smartphones & tablet computers ! :D But maybe you can help me ! The phone is a LG. I don't see any reference number and I don't even know how to start it, it's charging, right now because it hasn't been charged since loOong time !

My question is : there is only 1 socket, the one I plug the charger. It's USB... I'd like to know if it's possible to plug something else than a charger or a computer to this socket, especially an USB device such as an USB midi in/out ? I'm affraid it's not....But..... Let's have some hope !

Thanks for any info ! :)
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Marco

Re: Smart phone & midi

Post by Marco »

I know that Android succs for all musicians because nothing goes in Realtime. But Apple iPhone works great. But I never hat a iPhone, and never will because I am not a street musician. When I make music, I want to concentrate on the music. If I had an iPhone on the street I must share my thoughts with the traffic and all the other impressions. I'm not a fan of that.

Controlling daw goes with WLAN to Midi.... Per iPhone, but don't ask me how
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
garyb

Post by garyb »

i think there are apps for both. i don't know how well they work. i think a tablet would be better, a phone may be too small....
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

After some research, I've found it's possible with a simple cable like this :

I was just wondering if the usb charger socket could also support any usb device and it seems to be the case. I'll just plug an simple usb midi in/out cable like :
Image And I have my small remote on my table ! Excellent !
And I just want to use it as daw remote control, so as small as possible to not take to much space on my desktop. Perfect !

Thanks !
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Sounds like your phone is Android.

TouchDAW sends midi, and midi over wifi (you just need rtpMIDI installed on PC to act as a software midi device that translates to network midi...this also talks with apple network midi, aka "rtp").

TouchOSC and Lemur are two other controllers, the also can send midi, or OSC. They allow to build your own cursor interface, which take a alittle work on your part, but there are examples and community files that might be useful.

Look for these in the Google Play store, it's free.

Since you are just looking to control your daw, you might not be hurt by the lack of decent realtime support (playing drums in an android app would suck, but controlling a slider and a few knobs would be fine)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yes Android, a LG, apparently.

I don't even know how to switch it on !
It charged all day, then I touched it everywhere, I saw a light ! LG written on the screen, then, that's all... I can't turn it on again.. I'll see tomerrow.

I already found some apps which could do the remote job. No knob/slider/pad needed ! Just start, loop, go back where you started last time, go to left marker; etc... 8)
garyb

Post by garyb »

there is a button on the side...
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I downloaded the manual and found the button but even by pressing it for 1mn, nothing, nada, niente, rien...
Marco

Post by Marco »

Maybe your charging cable is defective or anything else with the recharge process is wrong.

IPhone is much more supported for software for musicians. Because audio processing goes with less latency for software synthesizers. Android system has extremely high latency. And lemur software is available on Android but it is not so far developed.

For a controller I prefer to use real knobs like the behringer bcr2000. A touch screen gives no sensitive response to your fingertips. You are always forced to look on the screen but you operate a knob blind.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

:D It was the usb cable : not correctly seat !

I pluged it into my nokia 301 (understroyable) charfer and it starts ! Now, I'll have to set it up to work like a tablette with wifi.

Thanks a lot, Marco but I'm not sure you read my posts... It's a simple gift. Me too, I prefer real faders but I don't need any ! Me too I prefer real buttons and if I could, I would use old tape player start/stop/rewind... buttons to remote my daw ! :P

It's not going to generate sound ! Just start / stop !

Apparently, JK says I don't even need any midi cable with rtpMIDI on the pc ? I go and check this !
Marco

Post by Marco »

Shure I read your posts. I only wanted to share what I prefer and why. I didn't say, do the same, just telling what other people do. At the end of the story it is important to find your personal way. My personal way doesn't need to be yours to, but you can have a look out.

You are a lucky man with your present.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

jksuperstar wrote:Sounds like your phone is Android.

TouchDAW sends midi, and midi over wifi (you just need rtpMIDI installed on PC to act as a software midi device that translates to network midi...this also talks with apple network midi, aka "rtp").

TouchOSC and Lemur are two other controllers, the also can send midi, or OSC. They allow to build your own cursor interface, which take a alittle work on your part, but there are examples and community files that might be useful.
I see 3 midi drivers on Humatic site ! rtpMIDI - ipMIDI & mnet/MIDIHub !

Gonna try rtpMIDI since it's the one you suggested me....
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

But... :evil: Shouldn't an installed application show an icone and be in the installed apps list ?? :x

Google store says it's installed but it remains invisible ! :x

This shit IS REALLY PISSING OFF :x :x ARRRR !
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

That's it ! Google play was unactive ! Grrrrr...
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Aaah ! That's it ! I've got my small daw remote control ! Stupendo !

And except that I needed 3 hours to realise google store app was unactive, it was easy to set up touchdaw & rtpmidi. 8) Excellent !

I didn't use the 'mackie control' remote device in cubase in order to set the touchdaw transport screen exactly as I wish. But the consequence is that there is no timing info on the touchdaw screen : only 000.00.00.000 !
And in fact, there is no touchdaw screen updating when I change correponding things in cubase, such as play button highlighted when starting play from cubase. Nevertheless, the touchdaw midi output is fine and each transport buttons are outputing info in cubase..

:-? Beeoo... :-? Don't know... Anyway, it remotes my daw as I wanted ! :) Even if it's Scope the pc active application !
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

And I can start / stop my daw from anywhere in the house or even from the garden ! Essential !
Marco

Post by Marco »

Gratulations! You did it right, never give up! Nice job done. You can drink a beer and enjoy your day. :D
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Excellent! Maybe Cuba she needs to send midi to the controller too? Not sure, I use Ableton.

Glad you got it working, it's never as simple as just plug & play, but if you've had SCOPE for this long,you know how to make things work ;)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I'm trying Lemur https://liine.net/en/products/lemur/
In which one can create his own surface. Very promising !
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

JoPo wrote:I'm trying Lemur https://liine.net/en/products/lemur/
In which one can create his own surface. Very promising !
Well I've had Lemur on my iPad for quite a while and it is very handy although I'll admit I haven't opened it lately.
Hopefully you will get to try it out before you buy because i'm not sure a phone would be enough screen to really make it worthwhile. The editor is not too hard to figure out for simple control type stuff. You can do more advanced things with scripting though if you feel so inclined.