Issues with Bitwig 2.x and questions about 2nd ASIO source

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dehuszar

Issues with Bitwig 2.x and questions about 2nd ASIO source

Post by dehuszar »

Hey all.

I've recently hit a wall where the new Bitwig 2.x codebase no longer works with my Scope and Pulsar II cards. Not sure what they did between the 1.x and 2.x codebases, but I'm guessing they are trying to gain control of the ASIO control panel and failing. I've gone through the support process with them, and their basic answer is "no other cards are having issues, we've written our code to the ASIO driver specifications, and your card is no longer being made so we can't test". I'm not in a position to buy them an XITE card to test, but I really like Bitwig, moreso than Ableton. I've tried setting Bitwig to run in compatibility mode as has been posted about elsewhere for Ableton 9 on Win10, but that doesn't resolve this issue.

I'm wondering what others might have in the way of advice to get around this. Here are some things I'm considering...

1) getting another audio card for my Scope powered workstation and just not using SFP for ASIO or Wave/In/Out purposes. The new card would just need a few ADAT ports or a decent breakout box so I can still get the quality of ADC I get from Scope + A16 Ultra. I'm wondering if this will even work though. Are there strategies for getting two separate sound cards working in Windows 10 as I'm suggesting?

2) just using my Scope card as a piece of hardware and using said new soundcard and Bitwig on my laptop. There is the issue of a second monitor. Has anyone found a good desktop streaming tool that I should be looking into so I can access the SFP UI when needed? I support Windows Remote Desktop is probably the easiest since it's baked in the cake. I wonder what the network overhead might do to the flow/quality of audio.

3) when money allows I've been meaning to upgrade to an XITE-1 (or whatever's available when that time comes). Do the XITE drivers behave any different than the PCI card drivers in this respect?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Sam
JoPo

Re: Issues with Bitwig 2.x and questions about 2nd ASIO sour

Post by JoPo »

I think you could use Odeus instead of buying hardware...
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

That looks awesome! I'll give it a whirl for sure. Thank you.

I'm also evaluating picking up something like this. This would allow me to work on my Ubuntu Laptop remotely and then link up to my sonic-core cards and octopre via ADAT when I want to do performance work with the DSPs.

Is there anyone who is using another ASIO-capable device alongside their sonic-core devices and just not using their SC cards for ASIO/Wave module handling?
valis

Post by valis »

I use my scope cards in a secondary computer, that machine dates to 2001 and run the scope and a light VST plug-in load out in Bidule just fine and hasn't a needed very many changes in over a decade. Routing is via AES and ADAT and midi, when I want sample accurate automation and audio triggers are use scope modular plus Flexor's sequencing with saw ramps on an ADAT channel.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

This motu stuff looks very nice ! I didn't know about it..
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

@JoPo, I tried a trial copy of that Odeus ASIO Link software you recommended. Ugly as sin, and a little confusing at first, but I was able to get back into Bitwig 2.x. Unfortunately, the shopping cart functionality on the website is "Unavailable due to technical difficulties" so I'm suffering through 5sec timeouts for the moment. I emailed him. Hopefully he'll get back to me or resolve the issue. Even the ASIO Link Max version would be a lot cheaper than more hardware.
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Does anyone know of another, similar application to this ASIO Link software? The payment system on their site is still down and the vendor hasn't returned any of my emails around how I can give them my money. Surely this can't be the only tool that solves this problem, but I haven't come up with much in my searching.
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Anyone have experience setting up ASIO4All + Jack (for Windows)? The ASIOLink software is still unpurchasable and I've reached out to the developer several times to try and give him my money, but it looks like a dead end.

I'm thinking ASIO4All + Jack may be the way forward, but I'm having trouble getting Jack to make sense of the Scope environment.
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

For anyone else who might find themselves in this boat. Here's a quick rundown of how I solved the issue.

Step 1: Install Jack for Windows (http://www.jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html)
Step 2: Install ASIO4All (http://asio4all.com/)
Step 3: Register Jack Router (regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\64bits\JackRouter.dll") as an Administrator
Step 4: Load Jack Server (I created a shortcut with the following Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\jackd.exe" -R -S -r 96000 -d portaudio -d "ASIO::ASIO SCOPE PCI")
Step 5: Then from Bitwig, select Jack as the Audio Transport, and you should be up and running.

As you can see above, I have my system running at 96000, if you want 44100, you can remove that "-r 96000" statement, as 44100 is the default. You can of course set 48000 or whatever your preferred samplerate.

Hopefully this will save someone the several days it took me of tinkering around to get the right combination of settings. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Best,
Sam
robinette

Post by robinette »

dehuszar wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:39 am For anyone else who might find themselves in this boat. Here's a quick rundown of how I solved the issue.

Step 1: Install Jack for Windows (http://www.jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html)
Step 3: Register Jack Router (regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\64bits\JackRouter.dll") as an Administrator
Step 4: Load Jack Server (I created a shortcut with the following Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Jack\jackd.exe" -R -S -r 96000 -d portaudio -d "ASIO::ASIO SCOPE PCI")
Step 5: Then from Bitwig, select Jack as the Audio Transport, and you should be up and running.
Hi.
I can not operate jack (x86) with Scope 7 (x86).
I have done all the steps except for the x64 registry and nothing ... I always get a BSOD.

Regards.
dehuszar

Re: Issues with Bitwig 2.x and questions about 2nd ASIO source

Post by dehuszar »

With Scope 7 you shouldn't need to do this at all. The updated ASIO module should work with current versions of Bitwig
robinette

Post by robinette »

dehuszar wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:41 am With Scope 7 you shouldn't need to do this at all. The updated ASIO module should work with current versions of Bitwig
I know. It is not to use Bitwig. It is for another purpose.
All I need is to make Jack (x86) work with Scope.

Thanks.
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Gotcha.

I haven't tried Jack with Scope 7, and when I ran it with Scope 5.x and in 64bit. I don't know if those differences are at play. I did occasionally get a blue screen, but it was usually a thing that happened while I was making changes to an active session.
asiofixer

Post by asiofixer »

dehuszar wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 8:04 am Hey all.

I've recently hit a wall where the new Bitwig 2.x codebase no longer works with my Scope and Pulsar II cards. Not sure what they did between the 1.x and 2.x codebases, but I'm guessing they are trying to gain control of the ASIO control panel and failing. I've gone through the support process with them, and their basic answer is "no other cards are having issues, we've written our code to the ASIO driver specifications, and your card is no longer being made so we can't test". I'm not in a position to buy them an XITE card to test, but I really like Bitwig, moreso than Ableton. I've tried setting Bitwig to run in compatibility mode as has been posted about elsewhere for Ableton 9 on Win10, but that doesn't resolve this issue.

I'm wondering what others might have in the way of advice to get around this. Here are some things I'm considering...

1) getting another audio card for my Scope powered workstation and just not using SFP for ASIO or Wave/In/Out purposes. The new card would just need a few ADAT ports or a decent breakout box so I can still get the quality of ADC I get from Scope + A16 Ultra. I'm wondering if this will even work though. Are there strategies for getting two separate sound cards working in Windows 10 as I'm suggesting?

2) just using my Scope card as a piece of hardware and using said new soundcard and Bitwig on my laptop. There is the issue of a second monitor. Has anyone found a good desktop streaming tool that I should be looking into so I can access the SFP UI when needed? I support Windows Remote Desktop is probably the easiest since it's baked in the cake. I wonder what the network overhead might do to the flow/quality of audio.

3) when money allows I've been meaning to upgrade to an XITE-1 (or whatever's available when that time comes). Do the XITE drivers behave any different than the PCI card drivers in this respect?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Sam
YES man you're in the right way to have a big sound
for myself i'am using scope 5 with samplitude for audio record and midi record
and protools hd tdm for plugins calculation
i use O DEUS ASIO LINK for scope asio scope 5 (improve performence)https://give.academy/downloads/2018/03/ ... IOLinkPro/
i think you can do the same with scope and another asio card (USB/Firewire/pci-express) with adat port (firebridge adat) or something else usb 2 https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-au ... reamer-box
with this system your can mix record plugins from each other in the same computer with asio O DEUS PRO LINK multiclient
see you
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Thanks asiofixer,

I had looked at that ADAT streamer. It looks exactly like what I want. What wasn't clear from the description was whether it a proper audio interface or just an audio routing device.

I'm actually less stuck than I was when I started this thread. A Scope 7 update fixed the issue I was having, but I'm trying to make some decisions about the direction to move.

Bitwig on Ubuntu has been fantastic, and it frankly has worse touch support in Windows 10.

I still long for a Linux / Jack driver for Scope, but reducing my Windows box to just being a dedicated Scope machine and doing my tracking in Linux feels like the best path, short of all that.
valis

Post by valis »

That's what I do, Mac for Logic, WinXP box for Scope. It just turns Scope into a swiss army knife that works as outboard gear, which I have enough of that it doesn't mess with my workflow.
asiofixer

Post by asiofixer »

dehuszar wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:39 am For anyone else who might find themselves in this boat. Here's a quick rundown of how I solved the issue.

As you can see above, I have my system running at 96000, if you want 44100, you can remove that "-r 96000" statement, as 44100 is the default. You can of course set 48000 or whatever your preferred samplerate.

Hopefully this will save someone the several days it took me of tinkering around to get the right combination of settings. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Best,
Sam
cool i will try...but is it right that you have only 4 tracks with PortAudio?
is PortAudio have better performance? than asio scope?
thnaks
asiofixer

Post by asiofixer »

Yes
make interconnection between two computer or two audio exe is the key for a great sound
asiofixer

Post by asiofixer »

dehuszar wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:12 am Thanks asiofixer,

I had looked at that ADAT streamer. It looks exactly like what I want. What wasn't clear from the description was whether it a proper audio interface or just an audio routing device.

I'm actually less stuck than I was when I started this thread. A Scope 7 update fixed the issue I was having, but I'm trying to make some decisions about the direction to move.

Bitwig on Ubuntu has been fantastic, and it frankly has worse touch support in Windows 10.

I still long for a Linux / Jack driver for Scope, but reducing my Windows box to just being a dedicated Scope machine and doing my tracking in Linux feels like the best path, short of all that.
https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-au ... reamer-box
seems to be interesting
as scope there's third party plugins and driver ANALOG DEVICE processors Linux compatible with ALSA 2.0 drivers
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Yeah, I said driver above, but I meant it mostly as shorthand. I'm fairly confident that Linux can already see and communicate with the PCI cards. The tricky part would be getting the Scope Platform running and past the hardware verification stage.

There's a lot of Windows-only configurations and little .dll files that might make such a port tricky.

There's not much that would make me buy an XITE-1 faster than Linux compatibility though
Last edited by dehuszar on Mon May 13, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.