Why is the old orisis software so expensive?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marco

Why is the old orisis software so expensive?

Post by Marco »

Why should anybody pay 600€ for an old software. Is it really worth? Aren't there many vst alternatives out there?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
dante

Re: Why is the old orisis software so expensive?

Post by dante »

There is no orisis. There is Osiris http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/ ... 22&lang=us

I assume price is high because that's what it was worth at that time when it was released.

I used to have Steinberg CD Montage but that no longer exists - it was great for restoring old cassette audio.

Here is algorithmix VST equivalents http://www.algorithmix.com/home/index_order.htm
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Algorithmix is one of the most expensive companies out here and always have been. Go to their website and you'll see that all the plugins they develop themselves generally cost well over $1000. Their LP SplitComp compressor costs around $1500 and their linear-phase eq's cost almost $2000 each. Algorithmix are way over-priced but to be fair they are top-notch developers and their compressor wich was released around 8 years ago when Native was still feeble is still to this day the cleanest and best sounding Mastering compressor ITB, and after all these years other developers have only been playing catch-up but still haven't fully caught them to this day IMV. Algorithmix figured out how to code top-quality ITB long ago but sadly they will charge you a arm and a leg for it. They are over-priced for the average joe but for Mastering Engineers who will kill for the smallest amounts of quality gains Algorithmix is definitely worth it. For most people they are so over-priced it's laughable but their is a niche market who believes they are a bargain and thus algorithmix have been out here surviving for a very long time.

Also I think Dante is correct that Noise reduction plugins often were expensive back then (actually most plugins of all kinds were more expensive back then. All the major companies have been lowering their prices over the years e.g. NI, IK Multimedia, Waves, etc and even SCOPE Platform is cheaper today than in the Creamware years; the only company who's prices seem to get higher overtime is UAD.).

Here's a link to a list of Algorithmix's VERY VERY expensive Pro-Audio-products - http://www.algorithmix.com/en/pro_products.htm
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marco

Post by Marco »

UAD is some crazy overpriced stuff for the masses. They have so nice graphics some of the sound engineers seem to hear with there eyes and read the company's name on the screen, people get headless buying everything blind and fall into happiness until the next update comes out. Then they are sad for the time until they updated again and again they fall into this update trap....
I keep my scope and got everything I ever wanted. I am just making music!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
astroman

Post by astroman »

I agree with Dante and Sounddesigner: the Software was outstanding at it's release time, but today there are more advanced tools available (in asimiliar price range).
Algorythmix obviously found their niche and have few reasons to change price policy.
I also agree with you that MAKING music is the most important thing - it's in the quality of your tools and not their number.
(admitting how much time I wasted on 'testing' VSTs)
There ARE some which are really great, but most are either boring or even annoying.

cheers, Tom