I Want A SuperSonic-Core FX

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ronnie

I Want A SuperSonic-Core FX

Post by ronnie »

The Plugiator was a great idea. It worked and it was cheap. Now, along those lines I would like to have a similar box except it would run effects only. I want to be able to have enough new DSP to load Optimaster, MasterVerb and MasterIT EQ for example. It should have like 8 routable ins and outs in a simple mixer, USB ASIO for connection to computer and configuration GUI through browser and MIDI in and OUT. Internal small SSD for OS and SD card just for fun and enough RAM (like 4GB) for OS to run and whatever little it needs. It should be between $499 and $799 bucks. I'll by 2. One for hardware synths, mixer and one for FOH. Box size should be about size of Luna 24/96 and run the same sample rates. Can it be done? Will it sell? Methinks yes.

I say this because I do one man band gigs with a Korg PA600 which sounds amazing. I control VSTs through it to get real fat. But that's overkill for the PA600 which I can layer up the gazoo. If I could cut down on the native effects because they hog CPU I could save that power for the layered VSTs with one of these Sonic-Core FX outboard boxes. Add some MIDI pedals like an FCB-1010 with the modded chip and you get the idea. The PA600 becomes a deadly beast when I run it through Opti-Master etc. This would be better than lugging a PCI PC or even laptop and/or mortgaging the house for an X-ITE.

Anyone agree or is it too niche to sell. I bet guitarists, bassists, and other solo players would dig it. No?
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
garyb

Re: I Want A SuperSonic-Core FX

Post by garyb »

put a card in a small computer and it's done. :P

yeah, it's a big deal to make and pretty niche(but cool). :)
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I might do it. Which cards would fit a Micro ATX case?
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, it might be hard to find a full height micro-atx case to fit a 15dsp(full length) PCI card, but a 6 dsp might. you might also be able to modify a case to make it fit. i was thinking of a 3 space rack case...
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

For $5-15US you can get a right angle PCI connector and drop that height down to 1 or 2U. Just have to deal with depth.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

And control the whole thing in a 1U with Teamviewer and a cheap tablet via BlueTooth or WiFi. Sounding like a plan.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

http://www.plinkusa.net/webitxg1102d.htm
http://www.plinkusa.net/webR1PCI1-1.htm
Now which MB with PCI and LGA 1150, etc. ? 4 core i5 is fine with one or 2 2.5 SSDs
With WiFi or Blutooth, could be USB adapter, I could run from tab or phone! Sort of a XITE LITE :lol: