Where does the Scope platform go?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Re: Where does the Scope platform go?

Post by yayajohn »

hi Ray; I hope that you don't think I am criticizing you or your products because I think they are top notch. I will trust you when you say you've done everything you can to optimize them for the current platform.
My whole point is that if a whole re-write of the Scope platform is being developed then it is my hope that better efficiency and automatic DSP optimization will be part of that. When Scope 5 came out it was noticeable to me that the stock synths were very optimised for the Xite. I can typically load up 12-16 voices without getting an optimization message.
With other synths and devices when I get the optimization message and click yes, it rarely does anything then repeats the message and after several tries and a seemingly endless wait, it switches the allocation around a bit. Then I go and switch presets and start the whole process over again. And this is happening while using only a portion of the available resources of the Xite.
I'm not saying the Xite isn't great and i'm not saying the Scope software isn't great and i'm not saying the devices you and the other developers create aren't great.
I'm just saying that hopefully this will be better and transparent to the average user in the future.

Dan
RA

Post by RA »

Hi Dan i get you completely. :D But that is the whole point why i wrote the whole story about allocation and optimizing. There are flags to be set and design constructions to be made in order to use or tell scope about how to allocate or optimize. The software on itself ofcourse does not know automatically what is best if you dont set boundaries or guidelines. One has to build that into a device.

Simple example...there are some ms decoders and encoders running free here for the platform. Ms techniques rise and especially fall with phasecoherency. So if you use some plugin on the mid part and another different plugin on the side part thing are bound to go wrong! Mid and side should be kept absolutely phaselocked. There cannot be a 1 sample difference between them. How should scope know that all this should be kept phasecoherent? It cant. So if the encoder works on chip 1 and plugin for m on chip 2 and plugin for s on chip 1 of pci board 2 ..and the decoder splits itself over chip 3 and 4 of any board a lot delaying is introduced. Well...its in the sample range...but for the m it is different than for the s. You can solve this by using delays yes...but next time you load the project or introduce a heavy plugin which will trigger the scope optimisation the dsp assigment will be different and adjustments to the delays have to be made. These are exactly the things one should consider when developing or screwing around.

So still...it is to the developer to make sure scope can unleash it potential. If you say thing got better with v5 that would simply mean that the plugins were rearranged or redeveloped with these considerations in mind. Is this making any sense? :wink:
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
RA

Post by RA »

So what i am actually saying is that is already possible to get things fixed now. One just has to dive into the devices to get things done. I just wanted to point out the dNa range has taken all this into account and thus i can stand for its quality. Also a little explanation on some of the salestalk of the dNa plugs made sense here on this subject haha. Dont know how the other developers designed their devices. I can just speak for dNa.
RA

Post by RA »

For anyone that likes it...i've done some testing and demonstrating and packed the files.
Ray's Testing.zip
(7.98 MiB) Downloaded 114 times

Maybe it motivates into testing yourself, or sheds some light on how to simply test some stuff.
Found some things with the STM mixer too. There's a whole written story packed with it. I just got carried away....sorry i'm boring you peeps :lol: