Modulate vst's parameters

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Modulate vst's parameters

Post by JoPo »

Since some months, I try to find a way to modulate vst's parameters with envelopes, LFO, etc... This would allow me to, for example, increase electric piano tremolo depth with an envelope when playing notes.
For the moment, I did that by sending notes to modular with an envelope, convert the envelope output into midi cc data, then sending back those midi cc data in the vst app (of course, it works only with vst's that support midi i/o). The problem with this method is midi resolution = 127 steps only and above all, the midi timing... I needed to send the midi notes to modular 15 to 20ms before to get a midi cc signal that arrive in time in the vst. But midi like that has a lot of jitter --> impossible to find an exact delay value. So, I tried to find a vst app that could replace Scope modular.
I tried https://www.vstforx.de/ but not really stable, not enough 'professionnal'...
Then I've found the free Image Line : http://www.image-line.com/support/FLHel ... odular.htm but very restrictive and send 0 value to vst automation.
Then, finally, I've found this : http://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html and this time, it's absolutely perfect in a modular environment, one can modulate any vst parameter without any timing issue and with a 4096 points resolution. The price is not crazy. The only weird thing is the difficulty I had to find them, I don't know why they are not more known.
Muxtool allows to really modulate a vst instrument and its fx chain with midi note, just like if all those vst's were only one synth. Brilliant ! :D

Merci de votre attention.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Liquid EDGE

Re: Modulate vst's parameters

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Nice, thanks for sharing.

What about reaktor 5, could that be used to do the same thing?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yep.. I think you could achieve to modulate vst's with Reaktor.. But only via midi, which means timing issues & only 127 points resolution + it would only work with vst's that support midi.
Muxtool is a vst host which itself is a vst... That means that it scann your vst folder and you can load your vst's in Muxtool modular environment, then modulate those vst's parameters via the automation feature which has a much better resolution than midi and much less timing jitter. Your vst's become an audio module in the modular environment...
I know that some daws like (I believe) Ableton allow to modulate vst's via automation but in Cubase -> no way. And Muxtool allows to do things that are missing in some vst's, like increase or decrease tremolo depth on Lounge Lizard electric piano, modulate Kontakt fx processor parameters with envelope or lfo or keyfollow or any usual modulation source ; and Kontakt doesn't allow this.

It is worth it !
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

In the example here, on each notes the electric piano receives, it triggers 2 envelopes which are modulating the Soundtoy freakfilter1 modulation depth, its frequency and its resonance. The result is awesome ! And the modular environment allows to build amazing stuff.
MuX.jpg
MuX.jpg (181.57 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Ahh. Very cool. That's the point I was missing!

A vst modular that allows you load vsts with in it!! That's brilliant!
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Since several years, I didn't use anymore Reaktor. Then, I wanted to check if it can, like silent way or MuX send modulation signals to Scope via asio, meaning convert modulation signals into audio signal. And it does it easily !

So I started again to dig in Reaktor. And the version 6 is really awesome ! Much more convenient interface !

And the absolut beauty is that I can load Reaktor FX into MuX ! Reaktor FX has 8 audio I/O (and event such as midi I/O) to interact with other MuX stuff ! I can use any VST inside Reaktor, as sound source, for example and modulate any automation parameter of the vst with Reaktor or MuX modules, and interger Scope stuff via audio...

:) THIS IS FABULOUS ! :P