fft dsp module request

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

DragonSF

fft dsp module request

Post by DragonSF »

For my project, I need a FFT module (dsp preferred). I want to use a 1024 sample window @ 48K S/R (which would result in some 20ms delay) and want to use the 8 first harmonics frequency and amplitue to control a bank of 8 synthesizer modules (osc, VCF, VCF, Eg etc). After that, the 8 voices will be mixed as output signal.
As I couldn't find an appropiate dsp in the SDK, I can either write my own dsp code and add it to the SDK (what is the procedure? I've done fft dsp coding before with a special EV board from ADI), but I can't find any information in the SDK doc, how to do this.
Or if someone can provide me with a link to such product, I can buy one.
Please advise.
JoPo

Re: fft dsp module request

Post by JoPo »

I'm not sure of what you want to do exactly but the module you're looking for mays be the vocoder analysis...?
And I know even less if there is a FFT module or dsp in SDK... :P But sure ! It must be possible to code it ! :D

Some time ago, I wanted to extract the loudest frequency value from a signal to modulate other things. Only in modular, I'm not sure a module can do that. But you can check this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsO6R1ZoezM , if you have Reaktor, those FFT modules could do the job and bring back the signal into Scope or SDK...
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

I had a look at Reaktor's FFT modules: the do what I want to do, but they are slow. My goal is, having a delay less than 20ms, which should be possible with a Shark.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

If a specific Atom you want is not in the SDK you can code it yourself but to create your own code in this manner requires a dongle and signed agreement with Sonic Core IIRC. You'd need to contact Sonic Core for these things.

I'm no developer so I don't know if the SDK you have can already do these things or not, hopefully a developer who does know will chime in and help you. Most of the developers who use to hang here and post regularly rarely or no longer do so. Hopefully one of them will answer this for you. I do know that multiple developers have used their own custome-code for their released devices. If it can't be done in the SDK then you'll need to contact Sonic Core for the dongle and they are very carefull with who they give the dongle to. I suspect there is some sort of security risk present thus carefull distribution of the dongle is needed, my opinion of course.
at0m

Post by at0m »

DragonSF wrote:I had a look at Reaktor's FFT modules: the do what I want to do, but they are slow. My goal is, having a delay less than 20ms, which should be possible with a Shark.
I've been looking at this many years ago, and tbh, it was way slow indeed. Much more slow even on Scope than on native. This is why there's no such thing on Scope. My 2cents. Then again, don't let this stop anyone to pursue :)
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

To my knowledge, no FFT based atoms exist...odd, since that is one of DSP/SHARC's strong suits. However, plenty of devices seem to use the host for FFT workload, such as the 64 convolver eq or the harmonic effects bunled from g.o.s.t. but those use a fixed set of freq., or use a small set of harmonics.

I think an atom using FFT might be misplaced anyway, since you'd get either all 1024 bins as outputs (or more), or some very limited subset, restricting you from detecting the bins with the list amplitude (and being able to figure out root/harmonic relationships).

Anyway, if you make some FFT atoms, I'm all for it. The platform could use some freq domain options :) :) :)
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

i loccated decent fft code in sharc assembly, but still need to know, how to integrate that into SCOPE. I'm in contact with garyb and holger on this matter, bu still no progress.
I'm also pursuing this matter on my ADAI1452 board, which has such blocks. But matter of fact, these blocks are useless, as there is no way to process the data. You are only able to conncet the fft out to ifft in and that's it. Delay for analysis and synthesis is accepatable, quality is so-so.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

Sounddesigner wrote:If a specific Atom you want is not in the SDK you can code it yourself but to create your own code in this manner requires a dongle and signed agreement with Sonic Core IIRC. You'd need to contact Sonic Core for these things.

I'm no developer so I don't know if the SDK you have can already do these things or not, hopefully a developer who does know will chime in and help you. Most of the developers who use to hang here and post regularly rarely or no longer do so. Hopefully one of them will answer this for you. I do know that multiple developers have used their own custome-code for their released devices. If it can't be done in the SDK then you'll need to contact Sonic Core for the dongle and they are very carefull with who they give the dongle to. I suspect there is some sort of security risk present thus carefull distribution of the dongle is needed, my opinion of course.
Has anyone on this forum ever received this mystic dongle and was able to code in sharkish?
For me it seems to be well guarded secret and a mysterious cult. But maybe I'm a fan of Mr. Robot, Hackers etc.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

DragonSF wrote:
Sounddesigner wrote:If a specific Atom you want is not in the SDK you can code it yourself but to create your own code in this manner requires a dongle and signed agreement with Sonic Core IIRC. You'd need to contact Sonic Core for these things.

Has anyone on this forum ever received this mystic dongle and was able to code in sharkish?
For me it seems to be well guarded secret and a mysterious cult. But maybe I'm a fan of Mr. Robot, Hackers etc.
I know of no one in specific that has stated they have the dongle. I do know of a couple commercial Third-Party developers that have stated they used their own custome-code, but I don't know if they have the dongle or not. I've only read about the dongle and I give you this information to get you started on your journey. I figure if you are aware of it you can then ask S|C about it and get all the info you need from them regarding if you are allowed to get it; if there is a cost or agreement for it; or even find out if it's just a myth :D .
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

I actually have contacted S|C about my needs and still waiting for a final answer. My request was neither declined or accepted, all is in a limbo.
Anyway, first I need get my xite repaired, then I'll try again.
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

no myth you need the dongle to crypt
good vibes from vienna
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

tgstgs wrote:no myth you need the dongle to crypt
good vibes from vienna
I realize that, but the myth is: how to get it. Who do I have to kill for it :D ?
BTW tgstgs, you were advised to me by gary in regards, you might know something about a fft dsp module. Care to comment on that?
Wenn ich Wien lese, muss ich immer an Kotan denken. Insbesondere den Teil mit 'Drahdiwaberl'.Einfach genial!
Last edited by DragonSF on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

DragonSF wrote:first I need get my xite repaired, then I'll try again.
Is your Xite broken ?? :o
What happend and how ?? :-?
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

JoPo wrote:
DragonSF wrote:first I need get my xite repaired, then I'll try again.
Is your Xite broken ?? :o
What happend and how ?? :-?
Adat is not working correctly: no slave sync and crackles at SR >44.1k.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

So..You are sure it's the Xite ? You gonna send it to S|C ? Keep us inform how many time it's going to take !
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

JoPo wrote:So..You are sure it's the Xite ? You gonna send it to S|C ? Keep us inform how many time it's going to take !
I'm quite sure: local loop-back on adat gives the same crackles I'm having with the A16 ferrofish. Local loop-back on the A-16 hAs no crackles at all. For me this suggest problems on the xite side.
I already got a RMA, but in Japan it's quite complicated to export good for repair without paying in import duty again. I need to go to Tokyo tto get the show on the road.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Ah ! You're in Japan ? Yep.. A bit far from Germany.

You can maybe find a good local repairer ? Unless the Xite is still under guarantee... How is it old ? It's weird : german manufacturing is very good, especially S|C : I still use 18 or 19 years old pci cards, the sync plate even lost a capacitor just afer I purchased it and works perfectly ! But of course, it doesn't mean that to have a default is impossible.
But for a device you bought in Japan, you should not pay again import duty, no ?
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

THis device is brand-new (1 week old). If you want to shell out $5400, you might be able to buy it in Japan (the importer is quite dubious though). As I actually have some money in Germany, I thought it was easier (money-wise), to buy in Germay (total costs were about $3500).
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

about "custom code".... i think it needs to be clarified what devs mean when they say that. for example to get ocean swift going we had to make a lot of custom modules out of available things, save them as new modules and then use them in devices. afaik, and i never directly talked about this with assaf but even adern stuff is based on cleverly using the stock modules in out-of-the-box ways. for example you can take an envelope and use it to just produce a click then use delay lines to turn that into an oscillator. then you can use waveshaping tricks to get various shapes out of that, then you can save things as new modules.

so, it isn't using code per-se like say for example in the flowstone dsp code boxes, but you are producing new elements into sdk.

maybe it is obvious already but as you work, you should always be saving things into "macros" - modules that you can re-use. after one year you will see that your designs will begin to be almost 50/50 your macros to basic sdk tools ratio.

i think i can safely state that almost all, probably close to everything 3rd party does not use actual newly text coded dsp modules, but as you work with sdk you will begin to be able to see on released devices where the devloper made some clever things and where its just a modular patch with a gui.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

we were using c++ and sharc asm a lot to bring new stuff new code to the platform;
there is in fact no gostdevice out not having new lines of code inside;
good vibes from vienna