32 or 64 bit

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Jonathan T

32 or 64 bit

Post by Jonathan T »

Hi
I've looked back through the old posts jungle and I'm sure there is no consensus but....Win 7 Pro 64 or 32 bit? Or XP?
For an i7 computer, MSI z97, two Pulsar2 plus Luna.
I have the STS samplers and they are great of course but I haven't used them for a long time, so I could live without them if that was the only 64bit issue.
Many Thanks
Jonathan
astroman

Re: 32 or 64 bit

Post by astroman »

impossible to answer:
for Scope it's pointless as there's no 64bit processing involved (simplified) - it can run in any adress space
if 64bit makes sense for you, depends on your native software, DAW and Plugins...
on a dedicated PC without internet use XP would still be my favourite choice
I don't have any software that requires 64bit, but there are in fact applications/plugins that only run in 64bit
(but not the majority, tho)

cheers, Tom
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

ive been using xp only and an old pc copy of logic 5.5 as my main tool until recently. seems like daws and software are now turning the corner and there are many things that now require win 7 and above to even install. at the moment i have one scope machine running 32bit XP and one running 64bit win7.

there are two known issues with 64 bit scope that i know of:
- the samplers thing (not just sts, no sampling in modular too)
- wave destination drivers are bugged, as in useless in 64bit

i would go win 7, but 32 or 64 depends how much these scope issues in 64 involve your workflow and what other software you wanna use
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
Jonathan T

Post by Jonathan T »

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes I knew there wouldn't be one answer!
I use the wav source but not the wav dest so I'll go with Win 7 64bit. I've got it running under Win 10 on my current setup but that's my work/internet computer, time to get back to a dedicated box.
gruebleengourd

Post by gruebleengourd »

It's not just the STS samples but any device that uses sample oscillators that has issues with 64 bit.

The zarg devices all run without issues with win7 32 bit, but were problematic in 64, even beyond the sample issue.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

That's simple : if you plan to use big sample libraries like the ones for Kontakt, you need 64bit. Otherwise, I don't see any reason.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

You could always have your scope PC setup as dual boot, with perhaps 32bit as your default boot and 64 bit for when you want to use large romplers or other vst instruments that benefit from increase memory of 64 bit
Jonathan T

Post by Jonathan T »

Thanks guys
Dual boot is a good idea. Is worth having a boot manager or are the built in capabilities of Windows sufficient?
Excellent music JoPo :)