Usamo box

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Usamo box

Post by garyb »

again, this is fairly standard for "line level".
i believe outputs are between 100 and 1k ohms and inputs in the 10k range.

there is absolutely NO audio equipment that will be substantially affected by these numbers unless you're dealing with mic input levels or severe level mismatches(-20 connected to +4 and even then it's not that big of a deal). the numbers used in an audio device have to be within the normal tolerances expected or you wouldn't be able to connect anything up.
dawman

Post by dawman »

JoPo...
I also don't care much for the STM Faders being twitchy.

I solved this by using Soft Clip as an insert in any channel where volume control was needed.
Soft Clip adds some subtle distortion.
I like that sound even better.

But swells for Horn Sections, and other instruments has to smooth.
This worked really well.
Maybe the faders GUI was overlooked when they re optimized it for XITE-1.
Never had issues with the cards.

I fell in the toilet,
But came out smelling like a Rose.
As I ended up with a fix that works beautifully and sounds better.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

I 've been using two USAMO'S for about a year now.

USAMO 1 does Analog Rytm which takes up it's full 16 channels for the Rytm's 12 voices and a few other odds & sods.

USAMO 2 does Analog Keys[9 channels], Moog Minitaur[1 channel] & 3 X Moog Mother 32's[3 channells] = 13 channels, so 3 spare. USAMO 2 sends to the stuff via Kenton MIDI Thru 5.

Everything comes back into Scopeville via 2 X Ferrofish ADAT Mk2's into 2 Scope cards.

Heaven.

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

garyb wrote:again, this is fairly standard for "line level".
i believe outputs are between 100 and 1k ohms and inputs in the 10k range.

there is absolutely NO audio equipment that will be substantially affected by these numbers unless you're dealing with mic input levels or severe level mismatches(-20 connected to +4 and even then it's not that big of a deal). the numbers used in an audio device have to be within the normal tolerances expected or you wouldn't be able to connect anything up.
I agree, that's why I don't understand I can't plug usamo into headphone and get it working.. I've read things around, I'll make more test tomorrow.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
garyb

Post by garyb »

headphone level is WAY hotter than line level...
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I give up with the headphone output. It's working perfectly with the Luna output and I don't see any latency difference.

So... I made a lot of test, today. I'm working on a huge Scope project with a lot of asio, so ULLI is at its max : 24ms for 44.1kHz. And the usamo midi notes latency is ...... 24ms exactly !! And above all :o ALWAYS THE SAME LATENCY :D and that is the most important ! :P
I did a lot of measures, all of them have the same result = 24ms exactly. Even a little bit less, in fact.

I'll do same testing with 3ms ULLI settings and I'll tell you the result but I bet it will be 3ms !

It's fantastic. Now, I have to make some midi CC timing measurement. Usamo worth it if you want to say goodbye to midi jitter !
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Now, I made some timing test regarding midi cc and the result is totaly different ! It's not jitter free at all ! There is a timing random before or after the midi CC. I compared that to normal sequencer midi input and it's a lot worse ! So the usamo is more accuracy with midi CC but it's really really not precise. I must conclude that midi CC are not managed very well in Scope.
And I conclude also that midi note data are very accurate, so, it would be brilliant to use note data to control parameters when huge accuracy is needed.

Ooops ! The midi cc test was done in a modular with a BC sync fader.. I wanted to try the S|C "constant val" fader... And the result is .... PERFECT timing, exactly like midi notes ! :-? This is weird, I gonna give the info on BC forum.

And with BC async fader, the timing is a nit better but far from perfect.
dawman

Post by dawman »

My MIDI is as tight as the rectum of an insect..?
I only run across slight problems which seem to be GUI related.

But I am not gagged by multiple applications, and use hardware with a lean ASIO host.

Reaper was so much better than Cubase and Forte I just went with the small apps with less 0s and 1s.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

And now, I play a heavy project in cubase, there is a lot of midi track controling thins in Scope and playing notes on several modulars. It was all so beautyful ! Usamo has 16 midi channels but .... Not too much at a time ! Some notes are missing ! : I must make some choices or record track in audio one by one.

I think I gonna work on the project with midi sequencer source and then record track via usamo. Or I could buy 3 or 4 more usamo... :D

Anyway, it worth it !
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

nightscope wrote:I 've been using two USAMO'S for about a year now.

USAMO 1 does Analog Rytm which takes up it's full 16 channels for the Rytm's 12 voices and a few other odds & sods.

USAMO 2 does Analog Keys[9 channels], Moog Minitaur[1 channel] & 3 X Moog Mother 32's[3 channells] = 13 channels, so 3 spare. USAMO 2 sends to the stuff via Kenton MIDI Thru 5.

Everything comes back into Scopeville via 2 X Ferrofish ADAT Mk2's into 2 Scope cards.
So you've got 2 usamo ? Nice ! And how does your daw to make difference between them ? Do you have to load several usamo plugin or share one plugin but different midi channels ?
I see you control 12 voices with 1 usamo ?? And there is no missing note ?? Because here, 2 rythmic midi tracks on 2 channels + good amount of midi cc = missing notes.

I don't see any way to avoid that..?..
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

JoPo wrote:And how does your daw to make difference between them ? Do you have to load several usamo plugin or share one plugin but different midi channels ?
I just make two tracks for each USAMO plugin. Feed those tracks midi from the various project part tracks on separate midi channels and whizz the audio out to the USAMO boxes via a couple of my card audio outs. I've tried using a USAMO plug on every part track but that goes all snafu. The only reason I tried that was to see if it would work or not. I have the USAMO boxes' trims set to vertical all the time. Depending on the amount of midi data entering the two USAMO tracks, I'll adjust their fader levels a tad. Mostly I don't have to adjust. I just keep an eye on whether or not the synths, especially the Elektron ones, pick up the clock consistently. You get a little icon on 'em that lets you know. If they ain't I adjust the faders a bit. The window of fader level for good operation is pretty wide. Once I have a project set up with all it's parts humming along accurate operation persists.
JoPo wrote:I see you control 12 voices with 1 usamo ?? And there is no missing note ?? Because here, 2 rythmic midi tracks on 2 channels + good amount of midi cc = missing notes.
Well, USAMO 1 does the Analog Rytm which has 12 drum machine/sounds which each operate via midi channels 1 to 12. I regularly send it the full monty 12 channels' worth plus extras on the other 4 and I don't appear to get anything going adrift and I am manically hawk-like about hunting fer glitches, missing whatevers and wotnots. The Rytm lets you know how in sync it is with incoming clock. With maxed out incoming data on all 16 channels it can shift +/- .1 bpm, never any more, and it's regular. Better than syncing up the Analog Rytm & Analog Keys via their own midi ports. USB and midi din sync from the DAW is all over the shop. Only thing I can suggest is to fine trim the audio out fader from the DAW carefully. To be honest, I don't know.

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks for those infos, nightscope !

Today, I put back all midi track ob usamo to see if there is missing notes when adding some 'space' knob. I don't hear any missing note ! Even with 'space' on off ! Strange... :-?
Anyway, it's better ! It works like a charm but I think I'll record all usamo track individualy at the end, to be sure the timing is perfect. And I'll, like you, buy a 2° usamo : it really worth it ! I'm very satisfy by my purchase.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Like JK suggested to me, I installed silentway. I must say that I'm quiet impressed ! It's very useful for modular : I rarely use all 64 asio, there is always 8 or 10 remaining channel. And it's totaly jitter free too ! Thanks, JK, for having reminded it to me !

I'm always 2 or 3 years late ! :roll: I remember 2 or 3 (or more ?) years ago the craze for silentway here, on Z ! I missed the train ! :D But finaly, I catched it... It works perfectly with asio.

So : silent way to control precisly modular and usamo to have a perfect midi timing for all Scope devices using midi. Perfect complementarity.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Silentway is really nice, thanks, JK for the suggestion.

I read somewhere that it's very light on CPU ; but I started to have bad cubase behavior : no sound, freezing for 4 or 5s, etc... I was really disapointed when I realized that those bad issue were happening only when the UI was opened. Pfff ! That's cool... It must be my little graphic card that a gamer could clean his ass with : geforce GT 720, not even one fan on it !

I spend a fantastic 4 days week end : usamo arrived, funny silentway and my first steps in SDK 5 ! Pleasant !
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I just wanted to say how it's good and pleasant to not have any midi jitter ! I can control modular exactly as I want by drawing midi CC in the daw, it plays back always the same ! I can go up and down with control inside a single 1/16 note ! And that is thank to usamo and silentway : 2 tools I'm stupid to not have purchase before ! Silentway for modular or Scope devices with modulation audio input, like Pro-wave, for intance and usamo when accurate midi automation is needed on any Scope device.
Midi jitter was breaking my balls since so many time ! That's simply a-we-so-me !!

That's all I wanted to express... When it's as pleasant, it's gOOd to say it to the world ! :D

Le PA-NARD ! (means the same but in good french).
hubird

Post by hubird »

good job jopo :)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks a lot, Hubert ! :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I wanted to show you what I did with a perfect midi timing thanks to Usamo & Silent way... Especialy with the voice I tweaked in modular with that midi jitter free new way of using Scope --> at 1:13..! :D
https://soundcloud.com/jopo-3/stressful ... nvironment :roll:
astroman

Post by astroman »

funky scat stuff... and you got that bass you were talking about a while ago ... :D
my favourite parts are the cheezy string like things in background, way cool 8)

cheers, Tom