ADAT connection

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

andi_sonic

ADAT connection

Post by andi_sonic »

Hello everyone!

a silly question... i suppose there isnt any problem to connect the adat out of a behringer ada8200 to the adat in of a Pulsar 2??
its should works fine, isnt it?
anyone got a ada8200? how it works, how sound its preamps?

thanks!
garyb

Re: ADAT connection

Post by garyb »

yes, the 8200 works great. set it to be slave to ADAT and connect both input and outputs.
andi_sonic

Post by andi_sonic »

garyb wrote:yes, the 8200 works great. set it to be slave to ADAT and connect both input and outputs.
Ok, and how do you set the 8200 as slave? Excuse me for my ignorance...

I take the chance and question if the 8200 could simply work as an AD converter, omitting its preamps and using another one before?

Thanks again!
garyb

Post by garyb »

it IS just an AD/DA.
you only use the mic pres if you choose to do so, depending on if you go into the hiz or loz inputs.

there is a switch to change the sync source.
Behringer has a pdf of the manual:
https://media.music-group.com/media/PLM ... QSG_WW.pdf
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

afaik by default the ada 82000 is on slave mode i didn't need to adjust anything. plug and play.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
andi_sonic

Post by andi_sonic »

hello, i've just connected the behringer 8200 and works fine, but the optical ports in the ada sounds 'click' when i connect the cable and it seems to be well inserted... but in the Pulsar ports the cable doesn't keep well, it seems a bit detached, there is no sound 'click' when i connect the optical cable in the Pulsar... are the optical ports of the Pulsar just like that??

Thank you!
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Sounds normal. A slaved ADAT device can make a little click when it syncs on connection.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
astroman

Post by astroman »

Andi means the mechanical 'click' you feel when you insert the optical cable ;)
some connectors indeed don't fit very well into the back frame of the card
a card may be positioned slightly asymmetric - can be corrected by untightening the card, insert the cable an re-tighten in that position
or a different cable, there are many variations...

cheers, Tom
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Oh yeah. I've had that too.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
garyb

Post by garyb »

some "premium" cables have large ends which don't fit well inside the slot of the case. for that reason, they don't fully seat inside the port on the card. even the "standard cables can have this problem. i little effort will usually fix this. you my need to adjust the card in the case a bit(without pulling it out of the PCI slot).

if it works, it's ok.
andi_sonic

Post by andi_sonic »

Ok, thank you!
I'll try not to move much the computer!!
Ok tom, i'll try what you say...

Kind regards!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Whatever you do dont buy those skinny wire ones.
Theyre okay with scope but tend to get stuck in fx units and converters.
My TC Fireworx wouldnt release it and I had to open the unit for surgery.
No fun.
andi_sonic

Post by andi_sonic »

Ok, then i think the connection to the pulsar is good!
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

This may be a stupid question but... I'm finding lately that Scope 5.1 64 is losing the clock over ADAT (sync) connection from the master, which in this case is a MOTU 828 MkII. It happens randomly. Sometimes I can recover by closing the message and resetting the sample rate back to master and then slave again. Most times I cannot. The ports are clean and the cables seem good. I am using the ADAT B ports on a Scope Pro card. I'm wondering is maybe I should be using the A ports first as no I/O is going through A at the moment. Perhaps when using ADAT for sync there is a port preference? Otherwise I am in the dark. Of course there is the possibility that the internal MOTU clock is the problem. In any case when things are connected, the audio is fine. ? :(
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's likely a hardware issue somewhere....it's probably not fatal.
sure! try the ADAT A connection for sync. sometimes one port will work better than another.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Wow! That was fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks gary, I'm going to try that!
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Switched to the A ports and so far so good! Just to make sure I didn't jostle the cards with the Toslink connector moves, I re-seated all of them as well as the STM cable. Really needs to be done every so often. Scope boards respond well to TLC. Doesn't hurt to do it to the RAM and the other connectors either.
garyb

Post by garyb »

cool.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

garyb wrote:it's likely a hardware issue somewhere....it's probably not fatal.
sure! try the ADAT A connection for sync. sometimes one port will work better than another.
It's weird but true! I tried several ports just for "fun" and this is the final so far "bulletproof" result. ADAT sync and audio in from MOTU on channels 3 & 4 on Scope Port A and the ADAT out on Scope A channels 1 & 2 back. For some reason this routing works the best. No drops or lost sync or signal and no weird noises. Been like this for days with no issues.
garyb

Post by garyb »

good!