Mixer SFP and MIDI

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

andi_sonic

Mixer SFP and MIDI

Post by andi_sonic »

Hello!,

anyone kwnows if is possible to control the mixer of the SFP 5.1 with a midi/daw controller such as... akai midimix, behringer bcf2000, novation launch control XL or any more maybe...?

thanks for your help!
andi_sonic

Re: Mixer SFP and MIDI

Post by andi_sonic »

Starting reading you i was feeling a geat sensation!!!
But then....ohhhh what a pity!!
Sonic core dont fix this big problem yet!??
I dont believe it but... It's seems there isnt more to do :x

Thanks so much!
garyb

Post by garyb »

there are only 127 midi controllers, so you cannot assign every control. nobody needs every control automated anyway(although it would be nice).

i often assign controllers in my mixes and record the midi to Cubase. then, every time i play back the project, the automated faders, knobs, and mutes change just as they should. i do not reassign anything, since the controller assignments are stored in the project. midi presets don't seem to work as they should, however.
hubird

Post by hubird »

I know the complaints are there a long time.
But on my mac OS9.2.2 system the assignments are stored in the project, and load as saved after a restart of Scope.
Just did a new test to be sure, as I don't use it so often, but I would when needed.

Can't make it worse :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'm not arguing these points or trying to open wounds.
i merely clarified that the stm2448 mixer DOES save assignments in the project window. i use this all the time. it always works. yes, some devices do not save assignments.
hubird

Post by hubird »

I hear ya and understand your frustration :)
It's a crazy important feature (for most of us), and it's crazy that S/C didn't solve it, if they can at all.

First I made 5 assignments, and they are still there after restart.
When I saved about 20 cc's extra some of the first ones are disappeared.
It seems there's only a (small) maximum numbers tolerated then.

So Gary, the bug can be confirmed also on my system, although some cc's will survive.

To remote control the mixer (faders, mute, solo, at least) plus other modules knobs one would need much more than I tried yet.
Therefor, bug confirmed, with a note, once more.
garyb

Post by garyb »

ok, fine.

i don't know why i can save them, i use more than 5 ccs on the stm2448 all the time, but i rarely use more than 16. i play the changes back via a midi track in Cubase.

again, i know that many devices do not save them as they should. there may be sections of the stm22448 that do not save correctly, but i don't use them and haven't seen it.

don't believe me? fine. i believe your and catscratch's experiences. do you want to fight?
hubird

Post by hubird »

?

If I was you I would check into detail what's the maximum cc's on the mixer, do some tests along with some modules, and report here.
Last edited by hubird on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dante

Post by dante »

andi_sonic wrote:Hello!, anyone kwnows if is possible to control the mixer of the SFP 5.1 with a midi/daw controller such as... akai midimix, behringer bcf2000, novation launch control XL or any more maybe...? thanks for your help!
You can control with iPad and iStudio from Behringer, and other iPad softwares

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_23/pad_mast.htm

And BCR/BCF

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_02/bcr_mast.htm
astroman

Post by astroman »

TC-Data is worth checking out, if you're on iPad
it may not look like that at first glance, but probably could encode some smart movements to control a mixer, too
for synths it's THE device... app

cheers, Tom
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

anybody try that project preset list device from SAL?
What about the CWM mixers? Do they save midi CC assignments?
hubird

Post by hubird »

astroman wrote:TC-Data is worth checking out, if you're on iPad
it may not look like that at first glance, but probably could encode some smart movements to control a mixer, too
for synths it's THE device... app

cheers, Tom
Thanks for the tip of TC-Data :)
Playing the Minimax with finger movements on a screen would be nice 8)
For €20,- an instant touch screen midi controller...
YiannisK

Post by YiannisK »

Project preset list thingamajigy does Not save the cc's on the Mixers.
I tried it again last night.
Too bad
astroman

Post by astroman »

btw I had the reverse problem with the Access Virus under Pro Tools TDM...
(trying to assign midi controllers to screen dials)
until I found out that the Virus already has all controllers pre-assigned by Access :P
so I printed out the list from the Virus docs, put it neath the screen and quickly entered them in TC-Data

the GUI of TC-Data (and it's synth companion TC-11) is nothing less but outstanding
(to be honest I bought the synth years ago just to steal some ideas from it's layout)... :D

bottom line: fixed CCs are a good idea, saves a lot of work

cheers, Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

you know what?
i'm a volunteer here. i have been for many years. i was a volunteer here long before SonicCore existed. i don't have any further agenda.

now i'm gonna be called a liar?

i use the STM2448 with a Peavey PC1600X midi controller ALL THE TIME. i save the mixer in the project and when i reopen the project, the assignments are still there. i don't know what any of those of you that have problems are doing exactly, but i don't doubt that you have the problems. for my PERSONAL uses, however, i do NOT have any issues with this. i automate faders and knobs, but mostly mutes. i do not use presets! the presets do not save ccs.

have i EVER had disappearing assignments? well, yes, i have. it's been random and rare. fixing the missing assignments takes a second and this happens maybe once in a year on my system.

look, i've taken enough abuse for helping people to the best of my admittedly poor ability over the years. if anyone want to make this a personal problem, please do it off of this forum. i will provide my address for anyone who thinks that i've wronged them. i'm only dangerous in proportion to you.

midi ccs on the STM2448 work for me.
andi_sonic

Post by andi_sonic »

dante wrote:
andi_sonic wrote:Hello!, anyone kwnows if is possible to control the mixer of the SFP 5.1 with a midi/daw controller such as... akai midimix, behringer bcf2000, novation launch control XL or any more maybe...? thanks for your help!
You can control with iPad and iStudio from Behringer, and other iPad softwares

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_23/pad_mast.htm

And BCR/BCF

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_02/bcr_mast.htm
Thanks so much for your information dante!

Well, reading all of your answers... i can believe the two options, then whenever i can, i'll test and i'll tell you the results....
Regards
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

You know you can always record the s5it so to not do the same thing over and over...

:lol: :lol:
hubird

Post by hubird »

catscratch wrote: You are a precious resource around here, there is no doubt. You are also the ONLY public face of SC and you must take the heat. Unless someone more senior steps up, that is how it must be. That is the only way I can see it at this point.
Support of S/C is located here on Planetz, it's just Garyb.
We don't have a choice.
So it's not really a matter of being volunteer, it's a pro thing.
andi_sonic

Post by andi_sonic »

fra77x2 wrote:You know you can always record the s5it so to not do the same thing over and over...

:lol: :lol:
What's this? s5it? I'm an ignorant!!
hubird

Post by hubird »

shit