isThere a Way to run scope without audio Drivers active?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Zimbo

isThere a Way to run scope without audio Drivers active?

Post by Zimbo »

hi all,

i have this problem:
ämy favorite pieces of windows software are bitwig and harrison mixbus. both dont like to run with scope because they use portaudio. as i have an old digiface from rme that would give me enought i/o for the daw side and plenty adat ports on the scope cards i dont have any need for audio drivers in scope at all- i would be totaly happy to use scope just to controll the dsp stuff going on on the cards... but once scope is running bitwig doesnt even open up...

so anybody knows if there is a way to avoid scopes audio drivers loading?

thanks

zimbo
fra77x2

Re: isThere a Way to run scope without audio Drivers active?

Post by fra77x2 »

Just delete asio and wave modules from the project
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

hi i did this without effect. even after restart. what i just tried now is deleting the asio dlls in the programm folder of scope- so they didnt appear even as an option under the hardware ios in scope. than it all works fine. i put them in a folder on the desktop in case i need them...

but are you shure it should work just deleting them in the project or are you just guessing? anyway i am fine like this...

best zimbo
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

Nop, i was guessing.

The problem is that portaudio crashes when it sees Scope asio driver even without selecting it?

Good you found a solution...
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

hm, i raved to early... i was able to open mixbus with scope open what diddnt happen before,
but this was on a madchine with just one pci slot and the scopecard installed (my workarround so far) now i moved it to the other pc and didt the same setup deleting the asio dlls in scope folder etc.. now i am not able to choose the rme either... once the scope card is out of the computer everything works... once it is in i can choose the rme anymore in mixbus ..damn.. also there seem to be wavedrivers left as windows sees them.. even when i disable these ports at windows sound settings, leaving nothing else than the rme ports mixbus and bitwig dont see it... so they both get one step further but finaly still dont run...
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

hm, yes i forgot deleting the modules does not affect what windows sees installed hardware wise.

I haven't used a machine with 2 asio capable soundcards including scope so i can't help.

I think if the app does not crash, one can select normally the asio driver of the audio interface he likes to use.

I think running them in separate computers is not a big deal, you have to connect these physically to transfer audio anyway
and a secondary monitor is a good thing, generally.
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

seems that portaudio somehow cannot exist next to scope- at least as long as scope appears as a soundcard- as it still appears as a wdm asxxyzwhatever soundcard for windows deleting the asio dlls seems not to be enough... maby there are just a few mor thing to delete but the question is if it is possible to run scope without any audio driver... whatever i do is just try and error, so maby somebody knows...

of cause two pcs are a solution somehow but as i mainly use scope to replace hardware for a more portable and customizable live setup another maschine is not realy what i want.. on stage i try to need not more than a single 10" screen... the rest is hands on controllers and knowing the material...
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

This might help you:
https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support ... tries.html

I didn't remove my ASIO drivers, and I don't have any portaudio apps. But I could see my SCOPE drivers by following this method to remove them from the registry.

Your mileage may vary.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

A question? are you actually running latest version of Bitwig?

because - i am, and its working great.. i think they solved the portaudio problem in version 1.2
i cant however speak for mixbus.

proof of bitwig with scope:
https://youtu.be/e6Odwy6DLsk?t=5181

Rgs
Egil Hasting
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

always impressive how well this forum works- great link with the steinberg "tutorial" will check that!

regarding bitwig- i have 1.2 installed but for shure not the latest version- will check that too..

thanx all
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

What was the final result from this registry hack. Did portaudio "see" the Scope ASIO ports? Did the audio work? Did it work right? Did the hack f-up anything else like Scope ASIO availability to non portaudio apps?
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

deleting the asio dll from the program files works- if not the steinberg method make it work. of cause no other app has acces to the asio drivers too... you can copy the asio dlls to another place and back to work with other apps but thats kind of ugly workarround- i just use rme as my asio interface and route it into scope via adat.