Level matching amp vs Input gain

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Level matching amp vs Input gain

Post by fraz »

Hi,

I've looked at level matching amps for the unbalanced I/O's that I've got and gee they are expensive and garyb did mention they were cost prohibitive... :)

It got me thinking about it so I thought I'd come here to to ask what the differences are from using level matching amps vs turning up input gain in the Scope mixer - My 1st thought was the noise floor being raised but apart from that I don't know much about it which is why I ask....Thanks

EDIT:
What are the options and work arounds? - And what are the implications on live recording / quality of? - This is with reference to Luna II 8 I/O boxes
fraz

Re: Level matching amp vs Input gain

Post by fraz »

I did find Sonifex Red Box who do level matching amps - What other makes are there that anyone has heard of? - Maybe there could be a more affordable one!
jksuperstar

Re: Level matching amp vs Input gain

Post by jksuperstar »

If your input signals are all unbalanced, and I believe the LUNA is all RCA/unbalanced inputs, then you should already be level matched, no?

If your signals are balanced, then in the cabling of going balanced ->RCA you cut the amplitude by 6db, which might be enough of a level cut to not overdrive your inputs. If not, you can also turn down each source at the source to avoid overdriven inputs.