Fostex VC-8 ADAT 8 I/O Box Boost Levels???

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Fostex VC-8 ADAT 8 I/O Box Boost Levels???

Post by fraz »

Hi,

http://www.muzoborudovanie.ru/equip/stu ... ct/vc8.jpg

I've got one of these boxes - Had it for years - The connections are unbalanced so not a professional level ??? -+10db - Where Pro level is +4db? - Is this correct.

Is there a way to boost the levels at all 8 I/O to make it more like a balanced I/O? - I don't know too much about this which is why I ask -

Thanks
garyb

Re: Fostex VC-8 ADAT 8 I/O Box Boost Levels???

Post by garyb »

yeah, unbalanced would be -10 or -20.
sure, there are line matching amps that will raise the level, but at a cost that's prohibitive. you'd be better off buying a new AD/DA. why does this matter?
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:yeah, unbalanced would be -10 or -20.
sure, there are line matching amps that will raise the level, but at a cost that's prohibitive. you'd be better off buying a new AD/DA. why does this matter?
It's more of a query after becoming aware there are differences between these connections and the other balanced connections that I have on other hardware like Scope Pro & Xite-1.

I'll need to research the varieties of the level matching amps to see what the costs are and how they actually connect. If I look at the Scope PCI computer [Scope Pro / Pulsar II]-It's possible to connect balanced to the speakers-But if I wish/need/want to use the Pulsar 2 outputs/innputs [including digital]- I was aware of the difference in levels that may present an issue later on so I'm curious about it.

If there is a solution that costs too much i'd leave it alone and work around the issue / perceived problem / potential problem

Then there is the Power Sampler 3 DSP card / ADAT expansion plate / 2 x Luna II 8 I/O boxes - The Luna II are very handy with 16 I/O over unbalanced - Here is another balanced / unbalanced potential problem so learning about it is necessary - Luckily I managed to buy a 14 DSP SRB booster to support the Power Sampler.

Which are the better level matching amps [I'll look as well so I know what I'm dealing with]-
fraz

Post by fraz »

https://www.hhb.co.uk/product/sonifex-r ... b-ul1/733/

This is the idea - after looking at it at least I know what it is and how it would connect. Yes, the cost is much!
hubird

Post by hubird »

AFAIK, the problem only counts with long distance cables. And of course bad electricity system and/or possible environmental radiation/interference sources.
My two Luna convertors - perfectly comparable with the foster - are still doing perfectly well since 2001...
fraz

Post by fraz »

This would be the box to connect to something like the VC-8 to bring the levels up!!!

http://www.sonifex.co.uk/redbox/rbul4_ld.shtml

But they cost - It may be possible to sell the VC-8 and get a brand new 8 I/O box with balanced connectors for the same money? - It's worth a look!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Look for a used Fostex 5030 !
I kept one of these ´cause I still own a Fostex R8 reel-to-reel tape MTR.
It´s also very useful w/ other sources.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U