Word clock sync without sync card

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Word clock sync without sync card

Post by fraz »

Hi,

Just a one off post which may seem like a stupid question - Without a BNC sync card word clock sync is not possible - On the PCI cards there is the digital I/O spdif - If there was a digital mixer or similar device that had word clock on it would it be possible to sync via word clock in this manner?
garyb

Re: Word clock sync without sync card

Post by garyb »

yeah, sync is sync.
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:yeah, sync is sync.
Well this may be obvious to you Garyb but it isn't to me which is why I ask here. If word clock was needed but there was no word clock card what "simple" options are there for word clock sync via digital I/O-spdif/aes/ebu?

eg-Not a big or even small digital mixer that happens to have word clock sync but rather a "one trick pony" simple box that does what it says on the tin?-
garyb

Post by garyb »

if you are using BNC sync, and a device doesn't have a BNC input, the device can still get clock via SP/DIF, AES or ADAT. clock travels from output to input...

any digital signal contains clock info. the device receiving clock needs to slave to that signal.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I am not sure what the world clock is for, but I don't use it. All my 3 cards are always in sync. Yes all the 60 something inputs...

I really have no idea why people need sync unless they are trying to make it work with another computer with another card.

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's about multiple devices having the same clock. in the real world, there are other boxes besides the computer that might have a digital connection.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Okay, I see...

But I have A16 U hooked up using Z-link and my ADAT works fine.

I never use the ADAT though.

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Sorry, I just woke up.

Okay, you're talking about external devices, like a synth or something that needs a clock. I just stick to the good old unbalanced patch cables.

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

when syncing two things like an A16 and a computer, ADAT sync, Z-Link sync or SP/DIF/AES sync is fine.

when syncing two converters, a computer, a DAT player and a digital turntable, BNC sync makes everything easier. BNC sync also typically is the lowest jitter, highest quality sync....
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Ahhh, cool cool.

I don't think I'll be getting a digital turntable anytime soon, but it would be sweet!

I sold my sync card because I didn't know what it was :o

Thanks,

-Tom
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:when syncing two things like an A16 and a computer, ADAT sync, Z-Link sync or SP/DIF/AES sync is fine.

when syncing two converters, a computer, a DAT player and a digital turntable, BNC sync makes everything easier. BNC sync also typically is the lowest jitter, highest quality sync....
Hi, I'm here to double check the sync issue regarding Z-Link - I've copied Garyb post from a while back - I'm planning to use mic signals with Luna II box which connects via Z-Link - There will be other computers in the rig but my concern for this post is making sure that Z-Link has the potential to be used for live recording with sync probably from Creamware BNC sync card in the same computer.

I'm not asking how to do this but asking just to be sure 100% that it can work - Reading what Garyb wrote above it seems it will but I need to be sure - Thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

can it work?
sure, if you have a bigger card with the Luna. i believe the Luna has no sync card port.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I don't have a LUNA, but do have an A16u that is connected over Z-link.

When using Z-link, the A16 can NOT use BNC clock. It can use BNC when using ADAT, though.

So, double check that the LUNA could use BNC/word clock when connected via Z-link.

Z-link is much more accurate (less jitter) than ADAT, and doesn't need word clock
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:can it work?
sure, if you have a bigger card with the Luna. i believe the Luna has no sync card port.
You gave me a panic then - You are quite correct - I have an ADAT expansion plate though :P -To the rescue - I've just checked the manual and there is a sync plate connector so the plan is:

Power Sampler
ADAT expansion plate
SRB 14/15 DSP SRB
word clock bnc card [yet to be bought]
2 X Luna II Boxes

The plan is to use 8 I/O for mic level live recording via the Luna II box - probably connecting mic preamp via Luna II.

When I've bought another BNC sync card I'm hoping sync will be easy-ish to accomplish -
fraz

Post by fraz »

JK Superstar wrote on another thread, I've copied it in as it seems relevant to my query

Z-link can not be used with word clock, but it also handles clocks more accurately than ADAT, and so it's not necessary.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, if that's all you are clocking is the Luna boxes, there's no need for BNC wordclock. none at all....

the SRB has a syncplate socket, so you don't need the ADAT expansion just to add a syncplate. once one card is connected to the syncplate, all the cards in the system are connected to it.
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:yeah, if that's all you are clocking is the Luna boxes, there's no need for BNC wordclock. none at all....

the SRB has a syncplate socket, so you don't need the ADAT expansion just to add a syncplate. once one card is connected to the syncplate, all the cards in the system are connected to it.
Actually I've only explained one part of the chain. Potentially there are four other computers of varying ages that will or may require sync. Three of the 5 would be Scope computers, and two others with other audio interfaces so word clock I think is needed.

It's unlikely that all computers will be on the go at the same time but quite likely that three would be so I need the base covered for word clock so it's covered. In this particular thread I've kept it to the "Power Sampler Computer"-

The toslink connectors on the ADAT expansion will either go to a router or into another ADAT that is connected via LAN. I don't wish to confuse the issue here as I've had a tendency to ramble on a lot when confronting technical issues that either work or don't.

It's great to know the SRB has a sync plate connector too!

One Luna II box would go into ADAT expansion plate [powered with 4 pin cable into PSU] whilst the other Luna II box will go directly into Power Sampler Z-Link connector.

Mics could be hooked up to the two Luna II box's - Further mic signals could be connected up to another box going through one of the other computers too - hence the questions on sync...
garyb

Post by garyb »

that makes sense, then. yes, it should work fine.
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

I have 2 pci cards aes/ebu ios and spdif iios.... and yes through s/pdif I made scope slave to a soundcraft M8 mixer with s/pdif out.

s/pdif out of souncrdcraftM8 to s/pdif in of scope
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:that makes sense, then. yes, it should work fine.
In the ordinary sense with 2 x Luna II box's - 16 I/O - Lets say that all I/O were mic'd up and recorded, isn't it correct to assume that word clock is needed for correct playback of simultaneous recording on more than one I/O box?