Word clock sync without sync card

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Word clock sync without sync card

Post by garyb »

no, wordclock is not required in that case.
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:no, wordclock is not required in that case.
Ok, that's not quite what I expecting the answer to be, but good to know.

Years ago when I got the Fostex VC-8 - 8 I/O ADAT a rep at a company told me over the phone that if I needed to add another VC-8 and recorded on to them both simultaneously I'd need a sync card.

Is this true? - It's pretty much the same as the question above but instead of Z-Link I/O it's ADAT - Is the answer the same as above for 2 x 8 I/O ADAT units? -

===================================

Now a slightly different scenario - On Xite-1 with 32 I/O [16 on Z-Link] & [16 on ADAT]- Xite-1 has the BNC sync incorporated, good! - But if there was some mics on both Z-link and ADAT - Would there be a synchronization conflict?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, it's not true. those devices can be synced through the ADAT connection. digital devices send clock through their digital outputs and receive clock through their digital inputs. as long as only one device is master, everything will work.

the XITE scenario also does not need an external BNC master wordclock device. the XITE can be master and the other units can all be slaved. the Z-Link box is slave by default and the ADAT box(s) can be set to slave. the ADAT box(s) would need the inputs AND outputs connected for this to work.
fraz

Post by fraz »

OK Gary,

I'll leave it there for now and revisit the subject when it's needed. It looks then even if there are a few computers involved that I don't need to have the bnc word clock card for word clock sync to work. This is what I was worried about. Sync can be obtained if need be either master or slave via:

ADAT connectors on ADAT expansion plate [eg,direct toslink connection to another device] provided it can send and receive to and from other devices / computers

or S/PDIF on Power Sampler card combined with the same criteria as above.