PCI Expansion Chassis

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

PCI Expansion Chassis

Post by fraz »

Hi,

I think I've seen one for sale, which is to house the PCI cards - After one or two re-housing of the PCI cards I don't like to handle the PCI cards as they are big and fragile and can see they could become damaged if they were moved too often -

Do these really work?
and how do they work?

eg - Is there a pci-e card in the computer [similar to Xite-1] which is connected to the PCI chassis? - If there is a decent one at a decent price and if it works without any messing I'd consider it - then if there is any re-housing etc ---- I'm not handling the cards physically as they are located already - Thanks
garyb

Re: PCI Expansion Chassis

Post by garyb »

no, they don't work well.
only the Magma box, which costs almost as much as an XITE, will give stable operation with more than one card, and even then at reduced PCI performance.

why do the cards need to be re-housed so often? you should build a fairly current computer and just use it for years. the cards won't last forever in any case....
fraz

Post by fraz »

Its more to do with a computer having a problem such as the LAN connector giving out or HDD and access is needed so the cards need to be removed to work on the computer before putting them back-

I thought it was worth asking about the chassis boxes but from your answer can see its not viable from cost / performance - Thanks for the feedback
bcslaam

Post by bcslaam »

I'm using this http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/pci-expres ... html?sl=EN from a PCIe slot (surprisingly the last, 5th one) on the Asrock x79 Extrem6 and getting 9 masterverbs. It has been relatively problem free, just took me a while to find the right slot and it needs powering up a minute or so before powering up the PC. And when you boot Scope for first time it needs DSP reset once or twice to get its dsp load stable. My default template is quite big and includes the big 9648 mixer, reverbs, delays, all 56 ADAT i/o patched in.

I'm running 1x 14dsp card, 2x 6dsp card plus sync card slaved to external house clock. I bought the ATX case version and put it in an old pc case and used a standard ATX550w psu with no modifications, fit right in. The box they give in doesnt fit the large scope card in nor does have enough power.