Drum Synths?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

tlaskows

Re: Drum Synths?

Post by tlaskows »

Definitely not dead...

If you find something better for the money and as flexible, please let me know... It doesn't just sound great and come with a lot of stuff ready to use, it's super flexible and when you get into Modular, you will be busy for a long time. I just started playing with Mod IV last night and it's crazy! Drag a few modules and you have a playable synth and you can customize it as much as you want. I don't think there is even an equivalent of Modular IV/Flexor III out there. Speaking of which, since I have Modular working now, let me fire up Flexor III and tell you how obsolete it is :)

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I just tried out the EDS 16i and it sound good to me. Can produce almost any type of synth drum machine. You can fine tune every percussion sound. I tweaked the kick a bit and it was very close to your typical 909. Tweak it a bit more and it will be close to an 808. No, I've never had the real devices, but they've been overused on every song out there. Just throw in some compression and reverb and you have a drum machine. Let me try hooking it up to a sequencer if I can find one that works in 64 bit.

Cheers,

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Hi,

This only took me a few minutes to set up and I haven't made a drum beat in like 15 years. Had to go thru Sonar for the step sequencer and FX.

So the setup is:

MIDI from Sonar to Scope into the drum synth. The drum synth to Sonar. A bit of shuffle on the MIDI track. A touch of Waves RComp on the whole drums and a touch of Eventide Ultraverb (room preset).

Gary would go ahead and disagree with my workflow, but this works perfectly fine and the CPU usage was pretty much 0%.

http://www.thomaslaskowski.com/wp-conte ... o-beat.wav

Cheers,

-Tom
Mikael-R

Post by Mikael-R »

Is there any other drum-synth or drum-module that can be added to this list?

Sold at http://www.sonic-core.net:
- RD Drum by Zarg (125 EUR incl. 19 % Tax)
- LBH VIII with Drum-Modules by SpaceF (169 EUR incl. 19 % Tax)

Included in Scope:
- EDS 16i/8i virtual analogue drum synthesizer
- Drum modules included in Modular 2

Free drum-synths (can be found at http://www.scopeportal.com)
- Beatz by Jah Servant
- Plasma by Wavelenght
- Kickme too! by Adern

Free drum modules (can be found at http://www.modularsynth.co.uk/modulepag ... ties.shtml)
- Blue Series Drum Modules by Shroomz
- 909 kick by Earth
- Analog Drum8 by fra77x
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Faxi already said that you can use Modular.

It's not hard to make a synth drum sound.

Just an oscillator, amp envelope, and a pitch envelope. Maybe a compressor and some overdrive. That's for the kick. The other percussion will have to use a few tweaks.

-Tom
Mikael-R

Post by Mikael-R »

Yeah, and there is also many modular drum patches available at http://www.modularsynth.co.uk/patches.php By searching on "drum" I got 54 hits.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yeah,

If you cannot make something in Modular (even III), then you should start learning! It's a lot of fun!

I tried it out and I am hooked. Didn't get the chance to load up Flexor III yet, crazy, I know.

-Tom
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

i've been using just a noise source --> 24db bandpass --> ad-env/vca. you can get chat/ohat/snare just with the knobs on these modules.

in our modular pack you can find about 60 drum patches.

also, for percs i don't even use "drum" sounds these days so much. set up some quirky modulated oscilator with some fm or something and just use a very short decay on the envelopes.

if you are looking for so called "real" or acoustic drums, just use samples.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yeah, there are many tricks you can use. I did some experiments in Java a long time ago. I just had a wavetable oscillator, multimode filter, and a simple decay envelope. Sounded decent without even know what I'm doing and a few days of work while I was bored.

-Tom
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

The drum synths thread inspired me that one :
https://soundcloud.com/jopo-3/a-rendez- ... twenty-one

All drums and percussions, except sometimes few congas, are done with EDS16i V2 and the louder BD with modular.......
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
astroman

Post by astroman »

convincing, great job 8)

cheers, Tom
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

petal wrote:Zerocrossing - I find it interesting that you are spending so much energy on the stuff you have to buy extra or can't buy any more. Where are all the posts about the huge pile of plugins that came with the box or all the plugins you can download for free?

I would find it interesting to hear how you like what you've got already.
- How does the workflow agree with you?
- do you like the sounds of the stock synths?
- what about the effects?
- or do you find modular interesting?

:)

ps. I have never heard of T drums before - I have been on the platform for 14 years.
I think my confusion came from the names of the included drum synths. I was looking to get one because I didn't realize I already had them. I've since found them and I'm really happy with them. Great sound. Pretty much exactly what I was after.

The workflow has taken some getting used to, but I mostly like it. One thing that really bugs me is every instrument defaults to 1 voice and has to be changed. What can I change it to? 8 voices? (Spin spin spin) Optimize? Sure! (Spin spin spin) NOPE. Reconnect the ASIO, guess again. Another thing that's boarder line brain dead is the only way to get a demo of something is to load it up, get the challenge code and then force quit Scope because all it wants to do is tell you that your software needs an authorization code. WTF? When you've painted your user to a force quit situation you have failed UX school. :lol:

But I'm still getting used to it. Mostly I just use it as a synth as if it was a rack mounted digital synth that just hooked up to my PCIe bus.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

zerocrossing wrote:
petal wrote:Zerocrossing - I find it interesting that you are spending so much energy on the stuff you have to buy extra or can't buy any more. Where are all the posts about the huge pile of plugins that came with the box or all the plugins you can download for free?

I would find it interesting to hear how you like what you've got already.
- How does the workflow agree with you?
- do you like the sounds of the stock synths?
- what about the effects?
- or do you find modular interesting?

:)

ps. I have never heard of T drums before - I have been on the platform for 14 years.
I think my confusion came from the names of the included drum synths. I was looking to get one because I didn't realize I already had them. I've since found them and I'm really happy with them. Great sound. Pretty much exactly what I was after.

The workflow has taken some getting used to, but I mostly like it. One thing that really bugs me is every instrument defaults to 1 voice and has to be changed. What can I change it to? 8 voices? (Spin spin spin) Optimize? Sure! (Spin spin spin) NOPE. Reconnect the ASIO, guess again. Another thing that's boarder line brain dead is the only way to get a demo of something is to load it up, get the challenge code and then force quit Scope because all it wants to do is tell you that your software needs an authorization code. WTF? When you've painted your user to a force quit situation you have failed UX school. :lol:

But I'm still getting used to it. Mostly I just use it as a synth as if it was a rack mounted digital synth that just hooked up to my PCIe bus.
Don't increase voices too fast on the better synths. If you plan to use a lot of voices then manually assign the synth to a specific dsp and then clear assignment and then slowly increase voices, you should be fine like this. I think some of the better dsp's to use in manual assignment is 7/8/9/10. 7 is for Mixer and has more SAT connections. Sometimes you may want to decrease voices numbers when you save your project. All may not be necessary but are good practices that prevent problems in some situations.

The demo policy for SCOPE is generally not that good cause of all the hoops you have to jump threw just to try a new device, but it is what it is. Some developers like Celmo have very simple demos tho with no hoops. Hopefully one day it will be improved where it is cumbersome. The tedious demo policy has caused me to be very selective and not even demo some plugins in the past.

PS. Dante has a layout of the dsp's on his website that shows you how to manually assign properly. Assignment at 44khz is generally not needed unless you're using a lot of voices or something stressfull/extreme. Manual assignment is done in the Routing window, just click the device desired.

The stock drum synth EDS16i V2 is VERY good and capable. The stock arsenal is a very surprising and complete package.

EDITED
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks a lot, Astroman !

No need to increase voice number with EDS16i V2 ! You won't be able to do so... You'll just have enough voices to play with it...
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Not really a synth but SDS is very cool - simple wav drum rack but it's useful for layering with synthesis. I really dig it for playing live with drum triggers with no latency. It's very fast to use, I don't really have time to deal with the STS samplers. It's an older device (pre-v3 I think) but it still works fine.

http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... &hilit=sds
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Didn't see this one mentioned:

Claplab
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

after many years of using drum samples.... I start using scope's drum module....EDS16. The sound is clear and with grteat character. I would like to know the best way to drive it with a step sequenser though.

RD drums of Zarg that I also have, is my main drum machine. Really powerfull READY sounds + sequenser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hJDYzJXXcU

this song was made exvlussively with scope plugins and mastering.... except drums...
:D

but as Garyb said.... samples you can get.......... Electronic drums.. is the way to go... in platforms... I BELIEVE(at the time :D :D )
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I've noticed that the EDS16i V2, sometimes, misses a note, especially when one triggers a lot of parts at the same time. I don't use a lot drum synth either except on the track I posted up in this thread. I had to record the EDS16i V2 in several audio tracks to be sure to have all the notes !
I'm sure the issue doesn't come from cubase. It was a bit like when I used to use STS, randomly, a note is missing.

It's a pity because the EDS16i V2 is really awesome ! :roll:
FernandoHood

Post by FernandoHood »

EDS16i sounds pretty good specially for clear & clean kickdrums, and its super fast to use thnks to the very friendly interface. its normally my goto!
Wen it comes to snares/claps EDS16i alone doesn't quite make it for me, i like to have some extra tones and hits mixed in , so I normally go towards layering... something like EDS16i snr + oceanstorm snr + sexysample packs hehe
Ocean Swift Synthesis - Scope 3rd Party Plugins
http://www.oceanswift.net
FernandoHood
http://www.fernandohood.com
Atom Sessions - Music
https://atomsessions.bandcamp.com/