Feedback destroyer

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Feedback destroyer

Post by yayajohn »

Is there a way to eliminate feedback using scope modules/mixers/effects? I'm tired of headphones and want to use the mic with my monitors on. No room to move anything or rearrange anything.
I should add that I DO NOT plan on recording like this. Just to practice and play.
garyb

Re: Feedback destroyer

Post by garyb »

sure, you can use the channel eqs to notch out the frequencies that feed back. of course, that only works for a few points in the spectrum. eventually, you're just turning the PA down. make sure that the mics point opposite the speaks and don't have a highly reflective wall in front of the mic, if you can help it.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

ok that sounds good I will give that a try. Start with the highest freq I assume?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no.
slowly add gain until you get feedback. back off the gain slightly, note the frequency and notch it out. add gain again. you can do this three or four times. it takes practice. it's called "ringing out" the monitors.

don't get reckless and get a lot of feedback. you can wreck speakers, especially tweeters, that way. just add gain until the mic just begins to ring. once you do this 3 to 4 times, you will have the monitors as loud as they can go in that room, with that mic and speaker placement. don't play louder than that. :D