Why put XITE on a second computer?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

robinette

Re: Why put XITE on a second computer?

Post by robinette »

jksuperstar wrote:Even though Z-link has the same connector at both ends, I get the impression one device is the master and the other must be a slave. A master would expect (and talk to) only a slave. However, both the XITE and the PCI Z-link are masters. So they are both sending commands, but nobody is listening (typical masters ;) ). A slave device is like the A16ultra...and two slaves connected are listening, but no one sends commands (so you can't plug an A16 into another, and expect audio to flow from one device to the other).
The problem is exactly the same as with the ADAT. Zlink send and receive. Both. Clock and digital audio.
If there are no problems with ADAT (referring to master and slave) nor should have with Zlink.
robinette

Post by robinette »

garyb wrote:maybe you're correct, and maybe there will be damage, or maybe it just won't work.
i believe it's impossible to slave to Z-Link, anyway.

experiment if you like, there's no advantage to be gained(no way to sync the two devices), and a chance that there will be damage.
If I had a Luna Box, I had left doubts while ... and I will be telling.
I'll try to get one.
Regards.
robinette

Post by robinette »

garyb wrote:there's no advantage to be gained
It is an idea that can lead us to take advantage of the protocol Zlink our Xite, and leave the ADAT connection for other purposes as it is standard protocol (Zlink it is not).
No ADDA converters on the market with Zlink. Only A16 Ultra. However there is a wide range of converters ADAT.
Zlink is practically useless in Xite. If Zlink be valid for sending and receiving audio between Xite and PCI cards, then it would be an advantage.
garyb

Post by garyb »

so?

when the XITE was designed, the A16 Ultra was still made.

will there be a change?
probably. there is a plan to make a MADI i/o card to replace the Z-Link card. until then, the Z-Link on XITE can only be used with an A16 Ultra.

you cannot slave to Z-Link, so even if the connection might work(if the pinout was ok), a PCI card connected to an XITE won't sync, so it'd be useless.

no, it can't be done. it might even cause damage, but feel free to try if you don't like my answer. :)
robinette

Post by robinette »

garyb wrote:will there be a change?
probably. there is a plan to make a MADI i/o card to replace the Z-Link card.
:o :o :o
Wow!!!... That would be perfect ... my dream.