UVI Falcon ! I don't have much money right now....Grrr

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

UVI Falcon ! I don't have much money right now....Grrr

Post by JoPo »

https://youtu.be/Y5zqgQoSQcs

This looks amazing ! Fusion of Kontakt, analog synthesis, FM synthesis, granular and every synthesis that exists..! It uses scripts ! Maybe a new library standard ?
Last edited by JoPo on Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Bud Weiser

Re: I don't have much money right now....Grrr

Post by Bud Weiser »

JoPo wrote:https://youtu.be/Y5zqgQoSQcs

This looks amazing ! Fusion of Kontakt, analog synthesis, FM synthesis, granular and every synthesis that exists..! It uses scripts ! Maybe a new library standard ?
iLok dongle ...

not for me !

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

Bud Weiser wrote:
JoPo wrote:https://youtu.be/Y5zqgQoSQcs

iLok dongle ...

not for me !

Bud
You prefer the bigger Sonic Core dongle? :lol:

:P

I use UVI's stand alone player with Ethno Instrument (developed by UVI but sold by MOTU) It's excellent. This one looks great... but I think I already have Omnisphere 2, and while it would be nice to have a more "sample focused" instrument with those capabilities, in the end I'll probably skip it.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yep.. It's a better kontakt and a better Omnisphere 2 in the same vst !! Awesome ! (and less expensive !) And I know the quality of IRCAM stuff...

---> Bud ---> You need an ilok account but no need for the ilok key. You can have the license without ilok key.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

JoPo wrote:You need an ilok account but no need for the ilok key. You can have the license without ilok key.
Do you still have to have PACE though? That really fucked my machine last time I tried it. Never again.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

JoPo wrote:Yep.. It's a better kontakt and a better Omnisphere 2 in the same vst !! Awesome ! (and less expensive !) And I know the quality of IRCAM stuff...
Well... I wouldn't go that far, but it does seem to be a nice blend of those two types of instruments. My first thought was, "Yeah, it might give me some things I don't have (In Kontakt and Omnisphere 2) but I should save the $229 for Scope instruments now that I have an XITE-1 on the way. Then I found out that you get a $100 coupon from UVI with your license that's good for 2 months from the day you buy it. There are a few items I've been wanting from them anyway... this now seems like more of a no-brainer.

One thing that seems to come though in a lot of the demo tracks is the quality of the filters. If you're like me and on a 64 bit system and can't use Scope samplers, this could be perfect to round things out.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

What is PACE ? I've readed that word several times without knowing what it means... :D
I've got an ilok key since 10 years, for Oxford stuff on my powercore. It works pretty well..

I just repeat what I've seen on the UVI page about Falcon license : they just say Ilok key is not needed, just an free Ilok account, that's all ! I didn't try ! And I do have an Ilok key, anyway.

I guess I gonna eat pasta, rice and potatoes this month... :roll:

:P --- Fuck bankers --- :P
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Kontakt needs a global modulation (I really miss it) and the possibility to modulate any Kontakt knobs like instrument fx with an lfo, for instance, I don't know why it's still not possible. A lot of things are not modulable. In Falcon or Omnisphere, this is possible.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Ah ! I've seen PACE license support ! Well, I installed it long time ago without any issue.

What king of issue did you have with PACE, Mr Arkadin ?
Last edited by JoPo on Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

It is just a pity that it does not support the Kontakt format.

Maybe in an update ? I don't know because both formats are in competition...
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

JoPo wrote:Kontakt needs a global modulation (I really miss it) and the possibility to modulate any Kontakt knobs like instrument fx with an lfo, for instance, I don't know why it's still not possible. A lot of things are not modulable. In Falcon or Omnisphere, this is possible.
Falcon seems a lot more like a synthesis playground with a heavy emphasis on samples and wavetables, where Kontakt is set up to deal with large sample libraries. I have seen some very interesting things done with Kontakt though. Look at the hollowsun instruments.
tlaskows

Re: UVI Falcon ! I don't have much money right now....Grrr

Post by tlaskows »

Looks very interesting. But is there a demo?

Cheers,

-Tom
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

tlaskows wrote:Looks very interesting. But is there a demo?

Cheers,

-Tom
Oddly, there isn't one. Word on the street is it is pretty damn good. The demos sound great.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

It looks very good indeed. But I don't need it. The GAS is very weak at the moment as I haven't fully explored my EX5, DX7, and all the excellent Scope stuff! I am starting to take advice from smart people like Gary who says you don't need 100 different plugins to make music :D

Thanks Gary, you are saving me a lot of money on stuff I'll never use :lol:

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

:D
dawman

Post by dawman »

As Brotha' Man at0m would say..........

Sometimes Less is More.

Too many plug ins, pictures of cathedral and canyons emulated by 1s and 0s......very pretty.
But never helps formulate a finished idea.

Actual proof of concept and notes recorded played.

But gosh man, if I had more pictures of real hardware effects and synths I might record quicker thinking I am in a big league studio.

I belong to a forum for sampled instruments.
Amazing that they sell used 1s and 0s over there, no hardware.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yes, less is usually more most of the time.

I did a LOT of OPL3 tracks back 20 years ago while in high school. That was fun... The OPL3 was easy to program, it only had few parameters. Unlike the DX7 which has 100 times as many!

-Tom
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

tlaskows wrote:It looks very good indeed. But I don't need it. The GAS is very weak at the moment as I haven't fully explored my EX5, DX7, and all the excellent Scope stuff! I am starting to take advice from smart people like Gary who says you don't need 100 different plugins to make music :D

Thanks Gary, you are saving me a lot of money on stuff I'll never use :lol:

-Tom
I used to be pretty bad with plug in G.A.S. It later turned into hardware G.A.S. I'm actually on the end of a G.E.S. cycle. (Gear Elimination Syndrome). Feels nice. One of the reasons I went for the Scope Platform was because it was a good way to sort of consolidate software and hardware into a small unit. I've already cut off my budget for software. The only way I can buy anything is if I sell something. I'm cleaning house. It feels good. I just went though my plug in folder and I took out a lot of stuff I know I'll just never use. I feel it was a good learning experience though. I explored a lot and had a lot of fun doing it. Now I'm a bit wary of the new shiny thing that's being pushed down my throat.

Falcon, otoh, is the type of thing I really get into. I know myself a lot better these days. I know that type of thing gets purchased and later abandoned vs the things that have staying power. Sometimes those things can be simple instruments, other times I can get lost in a complex powerhouse like Omnisphere or Falcon.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Oh ! That's funny ! I was planning to answer like Zerocrossing did ! When I started music with computer, I was collecting soft... I had a lot ! Then I realized I was not using all of them... And now, I know much better what I want, what I need for the way I make music/sounds. When I saw the Falcon video I understood it's what I was looking for since long time : a sampler at least as good as Kontakt but with features I miss in Kontakt : every parameters modulable and a global modulation clock. The other vst I like very much is Omnisphere but like Kontakt, there is missing features for me : import samples as simply as in Kontakt. And I found the vst that has all those features : Falcon.
Honnestly, this vst is awesome, it has all the features I was looking for and even more. Tweaking samples : I bought Iris for that purpose and was very desapointed : I don't use it and I even didn't install it on my new pc and as far I used Falcon, I can do easily all the things I wanted to do with samples.
In Falcon, there is what they call 'keygroup' and it is like the Kontakt 'zones' but in Falcon, keygroups may be samples or oscillators ! And you can play samples in normal, slice, stretch (normal & IRCAM), granular (simple & multi) and synthesis oscillators : analog, analog stack, drum oscillator module, FM, organ, pluck, wavetable....
And above all, every parameters are modulable with any modulating source : LFO, CC, all kind of envelope, sequencer (even better than Omnisphere !!) , etc...
It is simply outstanding ! And believe me, this time, I don't regret my purchase at all !
The only negative points is that one can't import Kontakt sample library and Falcon could do it... In Falcon, you have the same scripts possibilities and even a script generator module (which I haven't start to play with) ! The UVI sample libraries are as good as Kontakt ones. The other much smaller one is that in Omnisphere, its strength is the number & the quality of its presets, you've got a lot very good presets in Falcon but for sure not as much as in Omnisphere !
And understand that !

So : you've got a much better Kontakt with a much better Omnisphere in the same device. If you don't like Omnisphere or either Kontakt, I'll understand you don't care for a Falcon vst.... Everythings depends of the way you like to make music or sounds, that's it. But if you like them, you'll be crazy with Falcon !

Falcon has the potential to become a standard in sample libraries AND in sounds libraries...
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

What is Kontact? I keep hearing about it, but I've never even used it. If it's made by NI, I'm probably not interested.

Thanks,

-Tom