Scope on Linux - via WINE

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jta

Scope on Linux - via WINE

Post by jta »

Who has run Scope on Linux?

I've tried to run Scope on AVLinux 6.04 using WINE, but the drivers won't cooperate. Things look good - until that point. Scope 5.0 on Linux goes further than 4.5 Linux or 3.1c Linux, but that's because Scope 5.0 introduces the drivers later (I think).

Scope tells us to make Windows itself run the driver installation. And when you use WINE, instead of re-booting after installing a driver, there is something else. But that is where I get lost.

Since WINE and WINEAsio is supposed to work (Reaper uses it) it seems like Scope + Linux might work as well.

As for internal 'politics', Reaper and RME allow WINE+Linux, but they don't support WINE+Linux.

What do you think?
at0m

Re: Scope on Linux - via WINE

Post by at0m »

RME hardware is fully supported on Linux, natively in ALSA. And although you might be able to install Scope OS in WINE, there is no such thing as Scope drivers for Linux.
The best you can do probably is add an ADAT card to your Linux DAW, and pipe that to a Windows DAW hosting the Scope cards.

Regards from someone who has one Windows machine left exactly for that, I'm running Debian on all other machines. Scope on Linux? Not going to happen IMO.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
jta

Re: Scope on Linux - via WINE

Post by jta »

Thanks at0m,

You are right about WINE. I've started to learn more about WINE. It seems to be an issue of Scope drivers. WINE and kernel drivers don't like each other.

I would like a perfect DAW based on Scope. And (for me) the closest - perfect - DAW that works is Harrison Mixbus3 on Scope 3.1c and Windows XP3. But that's 32 bit. I've never tried XP 64. Maybe that's better. But Mixbus3 on Linux and Scope (32 bit or 64 bit) would be ideal.

You are also correct about RME. At least as far as the important things.

best, john