Scope 6 does not exist

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

emotive

Scope 6 does not exist

Post by emotive »

I was just wanting to download Scope 6 from here:

http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/ ... cle&id=336:

but alas it does not exist.

Any word on when it might be available and what systems it will (and will not) support?

Looking forward to putting it through it's paces and assisting to develop an awesome product which will hopefully (or not) require new hardware :)
JoPo

Re: Scope 6 does not exist

Post by JoPo »

Just for its no 'square' wires, Scope 6 is worth it ! :D
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
vascomusic

Post by vascomusic »

emotive wrote:Any word on when it might be available and what systems it will (and will not) support?
S O O N :lol: :lol: :lol:
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, there isn't any date.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

We have to be patient. If we want quality, we need to give SC some time :D

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

look, i'll be straight.

i expect v6 to happen. it's nothing that's promised, however. there are many things that are out of everyone's control, financially, and fundamentally(re: windows and current computer architecture). v6 was nearly complete, but then it had to be scrapped. it's a very ambitious project and time and money cannot be reclaimed. it's done when it's done.
petal

Post by petal »

The "Soon" is stroooong in this one!

:)
emotive

Post by emotive »

It looked good so why was it s(crap)ped?
garyb

Post by garyb »

because the programming elements used were pretty and cross platform, but they didn't work correctly.
why else?
emotive

Post by emotive »

So someone screwed up then?

Does this mean we are stuck with V5 for the foreseeable future and that there will not be any x64 support for many plugins (even though the GUI's recognize the bit-width of the system), issues with wave driver compatibility and the ongoing need for workarounds.

This dog's breakfast must stop.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i don't know what you mean.
v6 may or may not include a new sampler. that's what it will take to get 64bit sampler support. the samplers must be rebuilt. if they are really important, use a 32bit system.

exactly what plugin do you need that doesn't work right now? an arpeggiator? this would probably be fixed in v6.
what are your wave driver issues? what professional audio software only uses wave drivers? issues caused by an app trying to setup the soundcard will always exist since the Scope cards aren't Windows soundcards.

someone screwed up? i guess, if that's how you want to put it. it's more like what can be done can be done and what can't be done, can't be done. there are literally only a handful or two of people who can write something like Scope from scratch. i don't think you have any freaking idea of what you have or what it takes to produce it. that's fine.

if you cannot make something really fantastic with v5.1, then no software or hardware will help you.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Exactly,

5.1 is very stable. I don't have any issues. And if you want wave output, just get a cheap USB sound card.

Oh yeah, I'm on Win 7 x64. Really, haven't had a major problem. If you need a sampler, just get a cheap, old EMU ESI series. They cost almost nothing.

:o

-Tom
dante

Post by dante »

garyb wrote:if you cannot make something really fantastic with v5.1, then no software or hardware will help you.
+1 I think for anyone who has owned Scope gear for a number of years and still not have worked out how best to integrate it into thier system/workflow in its current 5.1 incarnation (including all its strengths and weaknesses) by now then I think there's a mindset issue there.
emotive

Post by emotive »

I don't think modern day reality would concur with the notion of using a 32 bit system for a sampler, unless soundfonts are what you desire, so markdown on that response.

Wave drivers while less important should arguably function but as most motherboards these days have adequate onboard audio I am willing to discount this point.

As a consumer/customer of S|C I think I have a right to demand improvements, particularly when they are touted by the maker as the next big thing, but hang on no link :-?

We might all be fanboys in here but it doesn't mean we should never be critical, nor should we be toady about it.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, the STS is not a modern sampler. it's an Akai S1000 based model. VERY old. 32bit is fine for it.

Scope isn't the next best thing. not at all. for what it is, it's the ONLY thing.

be as critical as you want, but right now, you are talking to the users, not SC. i'm not here representing the company. i just spend my own personal spare time helping.

v6 will be done asap, not before. there is nothing that can be done to rush the process, unless you have a LOT of money to give away.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

You can have my maxed out ESI 32 Turbo for free if you can pick it up. The display is a bit dim, but still readable and the sound is terrific. The only problem is, it only has 32MB of RAM. Is that a problem? Oh, you're gonna need a SCSI drive to save all your samples. If you really want to sample, get a hardware sampler. My M3 and even the old EX5 can sample. It's not the gigabytes of samples that make quality, it's the way it's sampled. My old M3 has less than 1GB of samples and guess what? They all sound crystal clear and are very playable.

-Tom
hubird

Post by hubird »

emotive wrote:So someone screwed up then?

Does this mean we are stuck with V5 for the foreseeable future and that there will not be any x64 support for many plugins (even though the GUI's recognize the bit-width of the system), issues with wave driver compatibility and the ongoing need for workarounds.

This dog's breakfast must stop.

you're right of course, from a consumer point of view :)
emotive

Post by emotive »

... from a Consumer point of view, yes, which at the end of the day is what I am but I am also a customer of Sonic Core and need a certain amount of respect in order to continue supporting the platform otherwise goodwill will inevitably dissipate.

Using old samplers is fine, I have nothing against them, but I would prefer they have a digital output so I can record the audio digitally.

In fact I may just do this one day and dispense with VST but in the meantime I must use both (that is Scope and Cubase/VST) because I can't get enough of the DSP with Scope alone.
dante

Post by dante »

Since the 64 bit STS issue have been known for at least half a decade now I would have thought that horse would have well and truly bolted by now. Eg those users loosing goodwill over it having long left and using something else.

Are you using Halion or Kontakt in Cubase ?
Last edited by dante on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

emotive wrote:I am also a customer of Sonic Core and need a certain amount of respect in order to continue supporting the platform otherwise goodwill will inevitably dissipate.

in the meantime I must use both (that is Scope and Cubase/VST) because I can't get enough of the DSP with Scope alone.
i don't think anyone has disrespected you.
the things you want can't be done any faster, even with more respect. you may think otherwise, but i know it's a fact.

v6 was never used as a reason to entice you to purchase anything from SC. in fact, i would have told you that you are buying v5.1 for v5.1 and that if you are buying it for v6, that's a bad idea.

v6 won't change the fact that you need to use both Native and Scope. great! that's what it's all about. as your studio grows, i hope you add some choice pieces of hardware. you'll find them as Scope, rarely upgraded, but great sounding and always usable.