Spectral Balance Controller

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

emotive

Spectral Balance Controller

Post by emotive »

I've worked out how to insert the SBC into the console, and am using it in real time to balance my mix, e.g. to show up deficiencies in my mix and what an excellent tool it is!

I tried my mix on a hi-fi system (actually a Bose F1) and it was boomy as hell but I think now it will be more balanced thanks to this tool.

So when mixing do we really need to "master" a stereo audio file after it has been rendered or can it be done as I am doing?

(Not a pro guy just learning and don't want to buy more software if I can help it)
garyb

Re: Spectral Balance Controller

Post by garyb »

well, mastering is best left to those who know what they are doing. i think, if i were you, i would just make the best mix that i could and then enjoy it. you can worry about mastering later. as long as the mix sounds good on the places that you play it, that is the main thing. mastering is just a final finishing process to make the mix play at it's best. it's the final ultra-fine sandpaper to clean up any rough edges, but before something is mastered, it needs to be as close to complete as possible.

mastering really isn't something that can be properly done without a proper listening environment and experience.
emotive

Re: Spectral Balance Controller

Post by emotive »

garyb wrote:mastering really isn't something that can be properly done without a proper listening environment and experience.
That's right but with the SBC "plug in" I get even closer :)