Mixbus

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Eanna

Re: Mixbus

Post by Eanna »

JoPo wrote:Pfff ! This is too much for me ! I'll try it when it will work correctly !
I thought asio is a standard, so any asio software behaves the same with its environment.
Yes, it is a workaround, that's all. But luckily, it is not so painful, if you can live without Scope ASIO on your system.
(I notice jksuperstar in another thread mention that Reaper's ReaRoute ASIO driver could be configured to route audio streams to Scope's WAV source driver.. but I have not tried that).

All we can do here is attempt to find what aspect of the ASIO specs that the Scope ASIO driver appears to be causing problems for portaudio...
Then, we either request of Sonic Core that they code up a change in their ASIO Driver (ideal scenario), or we find some workaround in the portaudio library, and submit it to the Portaudio trunk, and request of DAW manufacturers like Harrison Mixbus that they bind to the latest portaudio library with our fix for Scope ASIO in...
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
garyb

Post by garyb »

any app which tries to configure the soundcard will not work with Scope ASIO.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

I agree, it shouldn't try to configure, and maybe that is what its attempting to do...

Whether or which, whatever is going on here, portaudio shouldn't be doing "it", and the Scope ASIO driver shouldn't be responding to "it" in that way... It can be argued both directions - a library should not have to have special handling in order to use particular sound drivers (altho, I do see some specific handling for some branded cards in the portaudio sources!!), and portaudio shouldn't be trying to do "it" in the first place. I'm agnostic as to whomever may be at fault / whomever ought to look after the fix.

Maybe if/when I find the bugger in portaudio, we can ref back to the ASIO specs, and see if either is non-conformant to the specs for the API from Steinberg.
I've seen plenty of "we did it this way, because...." messages in the portaudio sources, and in their forums, around lots of functional parts of the library (and not just initialising ASIO drivers) - defending the implementation of open-source software is standard fare, and it is a good thing to be challenged - so my guess that these bits are outside the ASIO specs, as is often the case with APIs and containers/mediators...

Fingers crossed, I make -some- inroads into this...
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, the Scope driver is very simple.
the streams are presented and received, but the Scope card can't do anything more. it's not a windows soundcard.

there is a reason that it works in almost all apps, but not in a few. it's not that the app should NOT try to configure the soundcard. it's an option available in the ASIO standard. it only works with windows souundcards, though.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

I guess we won't know what's up with this until we find definitively what is causing it... Our guesses are probably accurate, but Portaudio works fine with more than just plain-ole Windows soundcards (which often don't have an ASIO driver anyway) - it's not a consumer-grade toy library - so ...

In the specific case of Mixbus - I think that Mixbus is doing something here that other apps that use portaudio don't seem to try - Max Runtime and Bitwig start fine now for me - other apps like Mixbus are not so lucky... So, it may not be Portaudio or Scope ASIO driver that is directly at fault here - it looks to be Mixbus' calls into Portaudio that may well be the issue - in which case, you could argue, it'd be up to Harrison to fix this...

But yeah, like I say, I do hope I make some inroads into being a bit more definitive here, than just supplying some ugly workarounds, temporarily disabling Scope ASIO at the registry level....
garyb

Post by garyb »

that sounds good to me.

ASIO4all doesn't work?
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

TBH, I've not tried ASIO4All - does it allow routing into and out of Scope over its WAV drivers? Multi-channel?

Quick Google - looks like it can handle, not only multi-channel, but multi card setups... http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asi ... 80db28bb69
Wonder what Latency it introduces?
garyb

Post by garyb »

ASIO latency though the wave driver...
mathieu

Post by mathieu »

http://odeus-audio.com.au/Odeus/ASIOLinkPro

install this, then choose port audio scope asio, everithing will be find
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Nice one, cheers..

Can you please screenshot the routing?

Thanks..
mathieu

Post by mathieu »

there is not need to set up, it just, avoid the hanging bug, of asio scope loading.
Tau

Post by Tau »

This is interesting...

I was wondering if it could help with a totally different issue I have, which is loading Wavelab 8.5 with Scope.

In a nutshell, if the XITE is on, Wavelab won't start. I can use other card's ASIO, no problem, but Scope doesn't work...

Anyone has the same issue, and might this O deus work?

BTW, "O Deus" is a portuguese idiomatic expression, aproximately equivalent to "dear lord", in the sense of "gimme patience". That aside, it looks promising :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

what about the Wavelab patch? does it work with 8?
Attachments
AsioScope_wavelab_patch_PCI_and_XITE.zip
(435 Bytes) Downloaded 154 times
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Tau wrote:This is interesting...
Yep ! I agree ! I didn't know about that but if it makes Mixbus working correctly with Scope and allows us to use asio with several asio application, it's a very good news !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Tau

Post by Tau »

garyb wrote:what about the Wavelab patch? does it work with 8?
Absolutely! Now working with 8.5.

I had completely forgotten about this, thanks for coming to the rescue, Gary!
dante

Post by dante »

Where do you got Windows 8.5 ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

wavelab 8.5...
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

The O Deus MidiThru is very neat. I can get my USB controllers to work with SCOPE. :)
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

ronnie wrote:The O Deus MidiThru is very neat. I can get my USB controllers to work with SCOPE. :)
Did you try Copperlan, it's free and maybe does the job !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

JoPo wrote:Did you try Copperlan, it's free and maybe does the job !
I did and could'nt get it to work on either of my machines (Win 8.1 or Win 7, both 64 bit) keeps saying no NIC found! Even Philippe was stumped. I also found that when the Copperlan service was running my Windows sample rate would change at random times. I know all of this doesn't make sense but that's what happens and when I remove it everything is okay.

So this O Deus Midi Cable thingie works fine and the utility for finding, loading and playing Midi files is very nice so you don't need your DAW or like Band-In-A-Box, or any media player (which doesn't just show you Midi files) to audition Midi files. Sending Midi through the O Deus to the Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth with a nice SF2 GM font is very nice. I ditched the MS GS crap for that long ago.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays