Today is not tomorrow, tomorrow is to late!!!

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

nitri

Today is not tomorrow, tomorrow is to late!!!

Post by nitri »

Hi, I have recently had a problem with two of my studio computers. They are 2005 and 2006 computers. One of them is a Macbook Pro for Logic and a PC with Windows for my Xite-1.
In this moment I am not able to update them both due to my current economy. This is the reason why I have rethought about different options:
1º Sell all. The two computers and Xite-1. Buy a Hackintosh with UA Apollo Twin.
2º Sell the computers and to buy a new PC with i7 to use with my Xite-1 and any Daw(Studio one, Reaper...)
3º Sell all and devote myself to the Agriculture.

Well, the truth is that the first option is the one that appeals to me the most. I have tried the Apollo Twin and it goes really well.
It is a pity for me to sell my Xite-1 but I have been 4 years putting off this moment waiting for Scope 6, yet without knowing if the big problems it has are going to be solved.
- Insufficient /inadequate, old-fashioned MIDI controller. Although Copperlan has helped a little bit.
- Problems with Samplers.
- Vdat, Sequencers in Modular III and other Synths.
- Punctual Hardware disconnections with the card EXPRESSCARD and PCI Express (I have recently experienced disconnections during some performances that have shed a very unflattering light on me).
- Now my computer does not recognize my Expresscard. (I think it is not working, I think it is broken). I am sure that sending the card to repair (I live in the Canary Islands) is going to be more expensive than buying a new one.
Definitely, with Xite-1 I have the feeling of having a Ferrari but with a stop or limit on the accelerator.
I cannot get the maximum of this due to the failures and troubles aforementioned.
I do not want to wait more time with the promise of the Scope 6.
Is there anyone with the same dilemma or am I the only one in this situation? In what situation are you? And the most important, I could wait a little bit more if someone shed some light on the future of Scope 6.
It has to be reliable information from the Sonic Core itself. Something like a next date ¿2015, 2016? Stage of development ¿1%, 50%, 99%?
Some screenshot.
I have had a Pulsar I, a Luna, 2 Luna Box, two Scope PCI 15 DSP, an A16 Ultra and many Synths and Plugins.
I have collaborated with Creamware Spain to promote the products in Hispasonic web.
I have always thought that we, the loyal users, should have a little bit more information.
I don’t know the reasons of such amount of secrets from Sonic Core. But I have spent my money on their products and I think we need something else, apart from a new Plugin every year to make us happy.
I don’t need constant updates, but I do need, one that solves the problems and also one that gives to this platform the magnificence it deserves.
I still do think that Xite-1 is a great product but it needs NOW to be up to date.
dante

Re: Today is not tomorrow, tomorrow is to late!!!

Post by dante »

The shortcomings you mention can mostly be filled in the native domain. I certainly wouldn't be doing without samplers and sequencers because they or anything else might come with Scope 6.

XITE is versatile enough to ensure utilisation despite a few bugs and without the need of any updates really.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I totally agree with you.
I'm a Scope aficionado since 1998 and I'll continue... I'm not in the same situation as you : I don't want to sell my Xite-1 !

But yes ! SC should care a bit more about its users. They told us about Scope 6 now, 4 years ago ! Why don't they tell us what's going on ? Is it a secret ? If it's a secret, then it is worrying.
Some companies have come to realize that communicating is making their clients feeling better or being more patient.
We are happy to know that we are stuck in the middle of nowhere, in a train, because of a bull who committed suicide. Without this information, the wait is even more unbearable.

The fact that SC doesn't say anything is really worrying : are they ashamed that they still have so many time to go to finish Scope 6 ? Maybe, they are not abble to make such a software ??

Anything is possible as they don't say nothing. Maybe they lost the CD with all the Scope code and they had to start over ? Perhaps they fled with the money ? Did they lost a computer password ? Or perhaps they were simply fed up and left raising oysters...

Please, SC, tell us !! :-? You gonna start losing customers, now ! :-? At least, say what is hapenning : like nitri said, Scope is 15%, 75% done ! Just that !

Scope and Xite-1 is from far the best audio gear but it MUST evolve ! There is no choice : the computer world evolves each minutes and if SC want to live, it must build an update regulary ; with bug fixes and improvements.

This is just common sense.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

dante wrote:I certainly wouldn't be doing without samplers and sequencers because they or anything else might come with Scope 6.
I agree : sampler are so good as native. But why not fix already existing STS ?
dante wrote:XITE is versatile enough to ensure utilisation despite a few bugs and without the need of any updates really.
I don't agree !! Scope needs bug fixes and improvements ! The midi implementation and midi synchronism are too bad : I'd like the track midi controler data is received accurately and synchronized into Scope ; and not sometimes with 1/8 bar and next time 1/32 bar, it's randomized ! And also depends on the device !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dante

Post by dante »

Holger already told me earlier this year he is still working on Scope 6.

Indications are he's working solo with some help here and there, so it's not surprising there's no dates.

I got other rack mount gear that's never been updated, but that's not the reason I'm abandoning supporting those companies. The reason I'm not using that gear is that native + XITE replaces them all - today.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

well.. new gear is cool - get the apollo if you want something new (and you have a bottomless wallet to throw at them)... however UAD is known for their problem with their sampler, their modular have awefull sound - and their disk recording solution is filled with bugs...

Sorry to break that to you.. UAD is great.. but have some serious bugs in the same areas as Scope
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
nitri

Post by nitri »

Hi, ehasting. You have something reason. But comparative points it´s not all problem. Uncertainly matters, an example STM 2448 or 4896 mixers do not save MIDI presets since first versión. When Sonic Core start to sell Xite-1 they says all is compatible and operative. Etc, etc...

For you, can be minor problems but for me it´s crucial. I need Xite-1. I prefer Xite-1. I think that Xite-1 it´s best. I don´t sell my Xite-1 but I need a system that I can use in my studio and my concerts whitout problems with all I need, Synths, Mixing, Recording, and efects. I want be happy with my trolley rack and take in my hands an effective control for my all setup...
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I've heard of issues with the Express slots on Macs before, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's the XITE cable. However as you say it's cheaper to buy a new cable than to get it looked at in all probability (unless you know a friendly tech guy), so I'd certainly try that, although I'd get the Mac's slot checked too.

Really, if those issues are that crucial to you then maybe you do need to sell as I doubt they'll be fixed any time soon. The only one that I find mildly irritating is the sequencer one, VDAT I never used, that samplers are probably best done native these days (although I still like the STS as it actually samples), automation I do from Cubase.
frokka

Post by frokka »

nitri wrote: - Insufficient /inadequate, old-fashioned MIDI controller. Although Copperlan has helped a little bit.
MIDI itself is outdated, low resolution and not enough bandwidth.
How is the MIDI controller giving you problems..?
nitri wrote: - Problems with Samplers.
I don't understand why people even bother with the STS samplers, use Kontakt - it's great!

/frokka
nitri

Post by nitri »

I think that not all users undertand the problem. It´s posible for my english.

Read my second post please.

Xite-1 isn´t a cheap hardware - software. It is for profesional musics or technicians. Profesionals need security in his works, solid system for to give his auditorium the maximum of his art. No mouse clicks between songs, not waiting for load proyects, not noise when move an encoder or pot in his controllers (MIDI hardware connections make noise but Copperlan virtual connections not make noise) what do you think about this??? It´s posible to admit this problems in profesional environment?

It´s a whole problem. Manufacturer - client relations. Philosofhy questions...

Sorry for my english, I attempt to explain in the best posible manner. :roll:
hubird

Post by hubird »

Those and other very necessary improvements are just not possible at S/C A.T.M.
It's just like that :)
It's up to you to decide to leave Scope or not :)
I keep mine :D
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

nitri;

I think you have some very valid points. The PCIe and HDMI connection is a vulnerable connection especially for live use. The Express Card port is as well. However I'm not sure other connections like lightning,firewire or USB would be any less vulnerable to accidental bumps and disconnections. To me live performance means backups and securing and strapping and doing anything you can to reduce the risk, but I don't think you can ever eliminate it. I was looking to build something like this for the express card port for the laptop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYcllv38tEE
Scroll to the end and watch how he dangles the camera by the cable. Not saying that everyone has their own machine shop but that is what i'd be looking to do if I performed live with my Xite.

Have you tried Roy's mixers? I'm pretty sure they save midi cc's (at least according to my tests)
http://www.cwmodular.org/

As far as SC sharing info on Scope 6. Lets just say if I was on the future development team at Universal Audio or any other competing company, I would probably frequent this forum quite often.

I use Copperlan as well and it works good with Scope.

Xite is a great machine and I hope you don't sell yours. Like so many other machines, it is far from perfect though.
Good luck on your decisions and I hope you can work things out.

Dan
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Use Tal-Sampler! There will be more libraries coming to it soon. It's very good sounding, kid of old schoolish.

-Tom