Need help with loudness maximising chain

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

hubird

Re: Need help with loudness maximising chain

Post by hubird »

dante wrote:Introducing this tonal shift will be a minimal change to the mix balance, unlike the bell curve which will proportionally change gain differently over every frequency band effected ............"
There are equalizers which proportionally change the q factor depending of the frequency chosen :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

that MIGHT be a good thing...

probably not for mastering...
hubird

Post by hubird »

Actually the spoken Q depends on gain settings, to correct myself.
UAD about its emulated API Vision channelstrip:
API's “Proportional Q” circuitry widens the filter bandwidth at minimal settings, and narrows it at higher settings, resulting in a simple EQ that sounds musical — even when cranked.
garyb wrote:that MIGHT be a good thing...
probably not for mastering...
I guess so, indeed.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

From the article:

"If when mastering we can focus on pushing the mix into all the extremities of this cube, making it occupy all of the available space, it becomes obvious how much less 'limiting' is required to achieve a 'perceived' level of loudness. It's already occupying all the frequency balance, pan and depth of field. Hence – inherently louder by its better relationship between frequency of RMS to peak.

If we can occupy all the dimensions of 'the cube' in all the aspect of frequency and depth and width it becomes clear why 'excellent' songs have an inherent ability to translate on to any playback system."
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, you can't do that with a preset...
dante

Post by dante »

ronnie wrote:From the article:
"If when mastering we can focus on pushing the mix into all the extremities of this cube, making it occupy all of the available space, it becomes obvious how much less 'limiting' is required to achieve a 'perceived' level of loudness. "
Yeah limiting is more just to contain a few stray peaks from poking outside the boundaries of the cube at the end of the chain ..:) Not to say you cant use it to create more loudness - I certainly do - but unless you have left over headroom from upstream the chain and/or don't use it in a judicious manner you're more likely to make the whole thing sound compressed and loose important dynamics and transients ( the Loudness War syndrome ).
fidox

Post by fidox »

dante wrote:HPM Ambience
this plugin ?

http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... t=Ambience

is DYNPARA M/S (i own this plugin) similar to DAS BrickMaster, since it also has MID/SIDE option ?
d9d9

Post by d9d9 »

i often use the hpm Lim-Max 2b as last thing in the chain. It's a littlebit like an L2 but nicer.
fidox

Post by fidox »

d9d9 wrote:i often use the hpm Lim-Max 2b as last thing in the chain. It's a littlebit like an L2 but nicer.
thanks, gonna try that :)