Moog patch Pink Floyd

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

Moog patch Pink Floyd

Post by Music Manic »

Does the Scope Moog have the patch used on the intro lead of Pink Floyd's "Shine on you crazy diamond"? Or is it an oberheim? It was stated to be a minimoog.

Thanks
dawman

Re: Moog patch Pink Floyd

Post by dawman »

One thing I learned about soft synths when I first came here was that several guys helped me, but it was pretty much by using Modular, and some research on the particular synth, it's FIlters, Oscillators, EGs and LFOs.

You can pretty much get about any synth you hear by using Modular III/IV.

I never could really dial in Baba O'RIley's intro by the Who, but most everything else was damn good.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Ye modular isn't one of my strong points Jimmy. Any pointers I would appreciate.
dante

Post by dante »

There are 2 synth sounds I've been working on getting on Solaris IV from 'Shine On' - a kind of thin string pad - which I haven't got round to - and the lead sound which is kinda brassy, and the one I think you're referring to.

If you start of with a synth brass patch (sawtooth from memory), perhaps a bit of slow attack on harmonic content, dull down the harmonics by turning down cutoff/ res - more flugelhorn than trumpet - you should get close. If not, I'll see what I can do on the Minimax.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Thanks Dante. Post an mp3. I'll give it a go too.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

they used a b3 and also a kurzweil k2000 when playing live for shine on
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

they used a minimoog sample and a arp solina sample the b3 was kept the same and the guitar solo by gilmor

the actual b3 and k2000 was for sale a few years back and they were trying to get a hefty price for the k2000
dante

Post by dante »

Baba Oriely was a VCS3 - Shine On original recording predates K2 by about 15 years.

I'm fairly sure the lead sound can be done easily on most synths, but ill confirm next time I'm in studio, and come up with am Mp3 to see if its the same sound being reffered to and a pic of knob positions.

I like many others, thought Baba was an ARP, but this link means we won't get fooled again :

http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183/th ... iley/27730

Instructions included.
dante

Post by dante »

Is this the sound you meant ?

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

If so, heres a screenie :
FloydBrass
FloydBrass
floydbrass-solarisIV.jpg (223.36 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Yes similar Dante, to that. Original was much more meaty and rounder. Maybe it had a slower attack.
dante

Post by dante »

Yeah I think I tweaked it that way deliberately - so if you take a bit of harmonic 'hump' out of the attack and/or maybe a longer decay you can get close.

Happy Tweaking :)
astroman

Post by astroman »

dante wrote:Baba Oriely was a VCS3 - ...
I like many others, thought Baba was an ARP, but this link means we won't get fooled again :

http://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/1183/th ... iley/27730

Instructions included.
the intro of Won't get Fooled is probably the most frequently demoed sound on the iVCS3 app
a collection on Synthopia, someone even built a hardware controller with place to carry the iPad :o
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/tag/ivcs3/

it's one of my favourites, a very simple modular architecture with immensely complex sounds
(to be honest: I 'understand' only half of what comes out of the this box - original manual is a must-have)
compared to various VST implementations this one really nails it...

anyway - according to faint memory there once was a modular patch for Scope to mimick this machine
it's mostly about the pin-patch matrix, but the original docs are online to give hints for a recreate...

cheers, Tom
crae

Post by crae »

I was in Abbey Rd in the 70's and used the Baba O'Reily synth (I know the Who didn't record there but it was the same synth) don't know what it was called but it came in a small siut case with a matrix of pin holes that needed pins to plug the X/Y axis to build the sequence - difficult to use - came with a "programmer" - had a plastic touch keyboard - not real keys ....
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

crae wrote:I was in Abbey Rd in the 70's and used the Baba O'Reily synth (I know the Who didn't record there but it was the same synth) don't know what it was called but it came in a small siut case with a matrix of pin holes that needed pins to plug the X/Y axis to build the sequence - difficult to use - came with a "programmer" - had a plastic touch keyboard - not real keys ....
Ye the guys above have posted it:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/vcs3.php
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

I think most of the distinctive sound in that song was from the Lowrey organ's repeat note function.
Here's an interesting article on the subject and a demo vid.

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/lowrey.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZwOq0tTEPE

I tried for years to replicate that sound on my yamaha CS5 with the LFO repeating the notes. Now I know why I couldn't, no poly!
crae

Post by crae »

..the one I used was this one:
http://www.rlmusic.co.uk/rlm3/ems-synthi-aks/
dawman

Post by dawman »

Always up for a challenge I could no longer tolerate the web full of disinformation about Baba O'Riley and the endless recordings of half assed recordings on YouTube. These guys are just embarrassing themselves.
If you have Zebra you now have Baba O'Riley as it was done on the VSC synth.
Thanks to yuze guys I finally understood what Townsend did, and used Looping EGs on Zebra 2 HZ.
The guys I work with are really picky and also said why can't you play the Piano at the same time. So I used 4 zones on the Physis K4 to create the 3 triads on a single note, then 2 more to create the lower octaves, so now I can play the lick which is tricky as the EG must be retriggered, and that happens by playing the licks just like Townsend did, like Grace notes actually. An Accordian player actually understands the sustaining done from finger to finger while holding down the root (Ostinato).

windows screen capture
Attachments
042 BABA O_RILEY.zip
(9.84 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

You're sick Jimmy! Let us hear what you did with it....
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I'm jealous of your Zebra :)

Let's hear her!

-Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

I know this is a lame excuse, but I used VDAT for years, never needed a DAW and just wasted hours trying to do what took me seconds and minutes on hardware or VDAT.
Reaper was the last DAW I had and I didn't really care for the way it handles MIDI.
So I haven't upgraded, do not want to, and haven't recorded since Solaris demos.
On my PCs ANY file that isn't used for performing live is shredded or stashed away on another PC.
Even my Scope Folders only have in them what I use at the gig. They are butt naked.
No games, no internet access, no NSA, no wealthy redistributors have access to my rig.

But if someone here wants to introduce me to an application that is free that just records a VST w/o having to re route, route, edit, quantize, I would be happy to do a 1:1 of Townsend and the synth he used, and demonstrate how accurate Zebra 2 HZ is at emulating stuff.

Most folks like to record, I just like to perform and practice.
But if I can record without all of this mind boggling bull shit, hook me up.