Float or integer ?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Float or integer ?

Post by JoPo »

So ? What is the best for recording ? Asio float source or Asio integer source ?

Maybe they have the answer in coursera.org/audio ?
I'm asking because I thought the best was Asio float source untill I read this :
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... 2&p=303578

But now, I'm not as sure as I wish ! And I confess that my ears don't get any difference... That's why I lightly prefer int values : it's less tiring for computing... But as anyone, I want to record as best as possible.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
garyb

Re: Float or integer ?

Post by garyb »

neither is best. both have advantages and disadvantages. i would use the driver most suited to the sequencer. if the sequencer was designed to use ASIO float i'd probably use float.with Cubase, i'd use the floating point driver, with Samplitude, i'd probably use integer. if you can't hear any difference, why stress over it?
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

scope mostly use int

float uses more dsp

as it has to convert float to int
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks for the advices !

Sorry to take so much time for answering.
I think I gonna keep asio integer.. As I don't hear any difference and it's less tiring to compute...

->Garyb, I don't stress over it that much, I just need to feel reassured as I'm far from a pro audio ingineer.

Merci !
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

I think if you're doing a lot of mixing/processing in your DAW you should use float, but if you're doing everything in SCOPE use integer.

BTW which are the float ASIO and which are the integer. Are they labelled differently in Scope?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Software i/o "Asio source" is integer and "Asio float source" is ... float source... :wink:
garyb

Post by garyb »

the not-very-accurate explanation of the difference is, the advantage to the floating point driver is that it's very hard to clip as there's 8bits of headroom that's not available with integer math. 32bit integer sounds better than 24bit float(more accurate overall), but 24bit float is more immune to digital distortion. both use 32bits.

24bit float sounds pretty similar to 24 bit integer, but 24bit float can handle hotter signals better.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

garyb wrote:the not-very-accurate explanation of the difference is, the advantage to the floating point driver is that it's very hard to clip as there's 8bits of headroom that's not available with integer math. 32bit integer sounds better than 24bit float(more accurate overall), but 24bit float is more immune to digital distortion. both use 32bits.

24bit float sounds pretty similar to 24 bit integer, but 24bit float can handle hotter signals better.
So you can hear it Gary! :lol:
pwhitmaker

Post by pwhitmaker »

I just discovered that there is a 32 bit float ASIO2 module, and I use Cubase so I want to use this scope module.
But why is there an "ASIO float dest" module, but not an "ASIO2 float dest" module?
garyb

Post by garyb »

because that's how the ASIO2 modules work.
GordonGekko

Post by GordonGekko »

pwhitmaker wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:48 am But why is there an "ASIO float dest" module, but not an "ASIO2 float dest" module?
garyb wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:16 am because that's how the ASIO2 modules work.
Ha! thanks for this.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:D
spacef

Post by spacef »

http://scope.zone/index.php?id=57&lg=en

"The SHARC processor dominates the DSP market with exceptional performance and outstanding I/O throughput. Its real-time floating-point processing performs where transparency and dynamic range is key".
Scope designers use integer though.

I personnally use asio 32 bit float (studio one does not give you the choice anyways ;-) (*)

(*) not sure it is because studio one detects the loaded asio driver or because it only has float. no idea what is best, apparently it is the same, I trust Gary B.
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
katano

Post by katano »

ha! maybe OT, but I just installed Studio 1 after years with Cubase and mixing in Scope. And I have to say, it‘s great so far! I guess I‘ll use Scope for bus mixing and mastering and synths only from now on, as the workflow with Studio One, Console1 and Console1 fader is all I ever wanted to have within Scope...