New machine built. Tips for Scope Mode?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bLiNd

New machine built. Tips for Scope Mode?

Post by bLiNd »

Hey fellow Scope peeps

I just upgraded to a new machine I built (i7 950, asus p6x58d-e, 6gb ddr3 1600mhz, 1tb velociraptor, 3xuad-1, 1xpowecore mkii, 1xscope pro 14dsp)

Everything seems to run really stable so far and as far as I can tell the PCI slot the Scope card is on isn't sharing on any IRQs. My old machine I was an XTC whore but I am considering running in Scope mode instead. So my question is about workflow. How do you guys normally do this? I am familiar with routing and scope mode, xtc mode and the rest, but I don't know if I am taking full advantage of it's potential. Should I have seperate projects for tracking and mixing? Since I am making electronic music, mixing is almost as integral as the writing/sound design, and usually is done simultaneously. I mainly want to take advantage of the processors which XTC is great for, but I LOVE the sound of the mixers and the synths (and I grabbed the zarg complete collection last year during that flash sale for like 200 bucks, which those synths blow away everything analog emu-wise) So I definitely want to use everything. My problem with XTC in the past is I couldn't track synths on a multicore processor without getting blue screens which I think is a known bug because of midi loop problems? Not sure what does it, but scope mode makes you use the synths like hardware which is time consuming but is very cool feeling I suppose. Forces me to record it to audio which is also great for editing...

I suppose my frustration is routing everything as I go, and that's usually when I would have problems on my old machine. Luckily in Cubase, instrument tracks allow you to keep busses active without getting rid of it when switching an instrument or vst.

I've been a scope user for a decade but I think I want to take advantage of my clean slate for Scope mode and just want any tips/advice on how you guys work.

Hope I posted this in the right sub forum...

Thanks!
dante

Re: New machine built. Tips for Scope Mode?

Post by dante »

I use Scope mode but don't make separate record / mix projects. I have recording/mix/mastering in one XITE project and use template PCI project for Zarg synths (routed back to XITE via ADAT).

Theres plenty of info here under technique/integration http://www.hitfoundry.com/scope/ depending on what DAW you are using.

I'm not spending too much time routing as I go as I mainly use the projects from one production to the next, having templates for Cubase I/O and Rewire channels from Reason then ASIO back to Scope routings always setup up previously (mostly).

Then just change the few things that are project specific.
bLiNd

Post by bLiNd »

Ah that sounds like a decent way to work with the synths. If I only had more bandwidth/power (xite) id really take more advantage of the synth side of things..
Thanks for that link/resource though, reading thru is super useful!
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Same as Dante.. I record, mix, setup audio & midi tracks all within the same project and I always start a new one from the same personalized project in Scope & in Cubase.
The Cubase mixer is at 0db, I just take care to never clip in Cubase by setting VST's instruments volume and I mix, add fx in Scope and sometimes a Scope synth mainly for lead.

I mostly use multifx devices outside of the mixer, it's the best way to use all dsp's in Xite. So my start project is ready like this : 24 stereo asio, each to multifx then Scope mixer, I don't always need all, so I can delete the useless ones. I just need new routings when I add a modular, a Scope synth or an aux fx. The mixer output goes to mastering chain then speakers & asio dest.

Et voilà..
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <