Audio over Ethernet possibilities?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

crae

Audio over Ethernet possibilities?

Post by crae »

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question - so apologies if not ........

But does anyone know if it would be easy to make the WAV modules point to an alternative sound card than the OS driven sound module (perhaps using the SDK).

If so then we could use an Audinate Dante Virtual Sound card and carry 64 channels of un-compressed audio via Ethernet.

And so along with CopperLan and Scope you have the ultimate configurable zero latency routable Studio imaginable !!!

https://www.audinate.com/products/softw ... -soundcard
dante

Re: Audio over Ethernet possibilities?

Post by dante »

I think Thomas from GOST was working on something like that a couple of years ago - you could ask him since he will have done some research

http://forums.planetz.com/memberlist.ph ... ile&u=3923
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I have SCOPE 5.1, and it offers "SoundCard Source" (and destination) devices. Drop those in a project, and then double click it to choose the Dante wave audio :)

You can read about it in the IO & Drivers.PDF Manual.
garyb

Post by garyb »

to quote the mechanic in Mad Max, "speed's just a question of money. how fast do you want to go?"... :lol:
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

I'm pretty sure the Soundcard Source/Dest modules haven't really worked since before 2002. Even then, they suffered from serious latency issues. I'm not clear why they're still included in the package.

The Audinate Dante Virtual Sound card system looks interesting, but from reading the blurb on their site, it doesn't work without some of their hardware in your system for clocking. Sounds like it's going to make it a pretty niche market, particularly among Scope users.

It should be possible to integrate into Scope using the WDM libraries (as long as Audinate provide an appropriate SDK), but you might find it difficult to persuade someone to do the work, as there won't be much of an audience for it.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

My only positive and reliable experience is from this old project: http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/
But sadly only available for 32 bit...
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
crae

Post by crae »

Thanks peeps for all the feedback.

For me I am interested in uping the ante for my next studuio build:

* 2 or 3 networked PC's and Macs for stand alone Native Instruments, DAW, Scope, VST's etc
* All routable to eachother for MIDI and Audio
* A shed load of tracks
* Zero latency (well - you know what I mean)
* Physical hands on touchy feely controlers
* All configurations should be "Snapshot-and-restore" - able

With Scope/CopperLan/Audinate Dante - it would be pretty close.

The reason this is interesting to me is that I do not record anyone but myself - playing all instruments (sometimes one note at a time) and singing all parts.
My music is very old school POP and it isn't unusual for me to build a song from hundreds of tracks.

So I need instant workfloww and unimpared capacity with zero latency.

(What do you mean "which planet are you on" - why Planet z of course!)

w_ellis - thanks for the info - I am sure there is an SDK judging from the massive 3rd party hardware support, and I belive that there would be a lot of Scope users who would like an instant upgrade to a 64 I/O system over a bog standard Network - all you need is a cheap switch from PC World and off you go. (My reading of their site is that with the Virtual Sound Card installed on all networked PC's connected via Ethernet you would be able to route output from one PC or Mac to another PC or MAC - we just need Scope to recognise the Virtual Sound card in the routing window. But as someone who finds it difficult to change a plug and who never quite worked out how to use his VHS video recorder what do I know?

Cheers
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

If it's all in the same room, wouldn't ADAT be a decent option?

You could buy yourself an extra secondhand Scope card with 2 or 3 pairs of ADAT for the same price as a piece of Dante hardware, if this pricing is indicative: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/4636 ... fgodtY4Agg

N.B. I'm basing the hardware need on the following FAQ from their site:

Can Dante Virtual Soundcard be used to send audio data from one computer to another?
Yes. However, Dante Virtual Soundcard requires that at least one other hardware based Dante-enabled device be on the network for clocking. This works with any Dante-enabled products that are available today.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I am so glad we have Dante here to keep up a nice archive as well.
His work is most appreciative in audio and DSP endeavors.

All kidding aside, this sounds great, until then a Ferrofish ADAT for recording and a Behringer ADA8200 w/ Midas MicPre's and Lion Audio upgrade for live work will have to do.
crae

Post by crae »

I already have an ADA 8000 and and a Presonos FireStudio LightPipe 32 so I can do an ADAT solution and w_ellis is correct - so I would need a Dante card for my 01V96 making it is all a little expensive.
But my ADAT solution is ultimately limited to Xite's 16 inputs compared to Dante's 64 inputs - but I can live with it :)
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

With the recently announced Dante Via you won't need dedicated Dante hardware anymore:
The new software allows you to build a complete, standalone audio system of networked PCs without the need for any dedicated Dante-enabled hardware to be present on the network.
Any computer instantly becomes a networked audio I/O device.
http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/wp/in ... io-device/

They say it will be available in Q4 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0SzsqSjoMU
crae

Post by crae »

Wow - Santa clause is in town ...

This stuff could be realy important guys !!!!!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Is it better than VEP Pro...?
crae

Post by crae »

I am not intimate with the vienna but I think the Dante stuff looks more open ....
crae

Post by crae »

I am not intimate with the vienna but I think the Dante stuff looks more open ....
fraz

Post by fraz »

jksuperstar wrote:I have SCOPE 5.1, and it offers "SoundCard Source" (and destination) devices. Drop those in a project, and then double click it to choose the Dante wave audio :)

You can read about it in the IO & Drivers.PDF Manual.
Would this work reliably-?-[It sounds promising]-

From what I've read [allowing for mistakes]-is that the Audinate "Virtual Sound Card" is available through ANY ethernet port on the MOBO-and there is a low cost option $30 to use this

https://www.audinate.com/products/softw ... -soundcard

So if JK Superstar [what a name :lol: ]-Is correct-This could work-but someone else posted afterwards that they thought the "soundcard source&destination" drivers did not work.

Time to hand this over to the people that know a bit more------------

Focusrite have their Red Net PCI-e card [Dante]-that is alot more expensive but is lower latency than Audinate Virtual Soundcard but costs £600-700 GBP or circa $1,000-

Focusrite also have a Red Net for mic pre [for ethernet network]
Behringer also have something similar and all Dante compatible and PC MOBO ethernet friendly - So if the sound card source dest drivers work well - Its all there - PLease comment----------- :)
crae

Post by crae »

Yeah - just cost !!