Sync in the pro studio or an amateur one!

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Re: Sync in the pro studio or an amateur one!

Post by fraz »

Thanks Gary that's lots to read at some stage-

Just checked an audio interface I've got really cheap in a sale a few years ago - The Edirol M16DX 16-in-2-out (16:2)-Regarding digital clock its got two connections one coaxial and and one optical only one can be used (in my newbie frame of mind I'd call the coaxial SPDIF and the optical ADAT... :) )

The device would look for a word clock at these ports on startup and if there is word clock present it slaves itself to word clock.

When I get my sync card for the Scope PCI cards and a master clock how would this Edirol M16DX be hooked up to the master clock which will be bnc? along with Xite-1 plus the ADATS?-etc....
fraz

Post by fraz »

Actually I've just looked at the big ben manual (I don't have big ben) and there is an SPDIF and optical I/O- but only one-So that answers the question. :roll: -I think, but if there was another piece of gear that I've overlooked that needed another SPDIF or optical I/O what is the way to go then?
fraz

Post by fraz »

Bud Weiser wrote:
fraz wrote:Yes it does start to get complicated.... :roll:
For lots of devices you need something like THIS http://apogeedigital.com/products/big-ben.php

I´d prefer to sync everything individual to the master, except I run out of clock outputs on the master clock itself.

Bud
Hi-I see what you mean by running out of clock outs- Big Ben has 6 - My setup isn't that big, however, if I tried to terminate all bnc outs/ins I'd run out-so hopefully when I get round to this the bnc sync card on the PCI cards will sync the two ADAT units as their connected and the same goes for the Xite-1 with the other two ADAT units-If this works out OK that will only be 2 of the 6 wordclock outs in big ben (if I get it)

The Art Gen may be able to be used instead if this is possible as it has 4

I did get confused with the MIDI clock- I was mixing it up with digital clock thinking it would do both-
garyb

Post by garyb »

most word clock connections are self-terminating.
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:connect the sync plate to one of the cards. any that fits.

a good clock is best, but even an ART sync gen can really help your sound by giving a stable clock signal from a central source. i have a Rosendahl Nanosyncs.
The Art Gen word clock is £125 - Lots cheaper than the others here - Featuring 4 wc outs and 2 spdif out - This should provide enough at a price that's reasonable-
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

with bnc you can use t connectors you dont have to run 1 output to 1 input you can daisy chain

big ben bnc out - t-t-t-t-t

then on each t you can go to a device

just use the highest grade digital coaxial cable a 100 meter drum will cost you £30-50
garyb

Post by garyb »

with all due respect, daisy-chaining(serial) connection of word clock is not recommended, but it will probably work...
fraz

Post by fraz »

I don't want to do anything that isn't recommended....

Is it essential to connect to all word clock inputs???-
eg. lets take the Creamware Scope PCI card PC when it has the bnc sync card installed-There are some ADATS that are connected to PCI cards- Can I get away without connecting bnc to the ADATS? - Or is it highly recommended that I do connect to the bnc connectors on the ADATS - This is what I need to be clear on.... There is part of me that thinks I will be able to not connect the ADATS so in other word just one word clock in for that whole PC -

Gary and or Bud mentioned that I may not need to do this on account of ADATS already having clock information passing from out to in.
If all ADATS do need connecting I would need to put more "T's" in

It would come down to putting more "T's" in-which Gary say "no don't do this"- VS- Not connecting all word clock ins----

I'll get there with this but just need to know whats really necessary and whats not.......and the technical details are increasing now.....
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i have done it for years never had a problem

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr03/a ... ocking.asp

i used this article when i was doing it back then its still connected the same way
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, all outputs or inputs do not need to be connected.

yes jhulk, i've seen that article. clock should be one output to one input, but if it works, it works. t'ing off a wordclock source will create jitter, but it will probably be within reasonable limits, in other words, you won't hear a problem. there's a reason why clock distributors are made, however. there's a reason that master clock/clock distributors have multiple outputs instead of just one single clock out.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

yes i agree

if you have the extra out then do point to point but if you have a device extra then a t is fine

i dont do big daisy chains and try to keep cable lengths small and the same length
fraz

Post by fraz »

I'll read the article- thanks Hulk-

Its good to know not all word clock ins need to be connected- It simplifies things a little-and I'll check back here when I'm about to do this. The cheaper Art Gen should be OK - Thanks for the tip Gary- Is this the best clock for the money then?-
garyb

Post by garyb »

probably. there are other cheap clocks, but they won't be significantly better.
the ART clock is not super special, but it will work properly and having everything clocked from a central source should improve your audio overall, so it's win/win.
fraz

Post by fraz »

When the word clock is connected correctly- Are there any modules to add in the project window in addition to whats already there?

Like a word clock module or something

I don't have access to Scope software today-
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, nothing special.

sync source is set in the samplerate window.
fraz

Post by fraz »

OK thats great Gary thanks!

Another thing that was puzzling me and I wasn't sure how to ask it without confusing the issue....

The VST system link was completed and there is at least a reasonable understanding of this.

Non VST system link sync

To sync the digital equipment (audio cards etc....) word clock is used and for the MIDI sync (VSTi / hardware sound modules etc....) MIDI time code is used..--- Is this correct??? - So by using both a DAW system in general can tick along nicely with the recording of audio and playback of MIDI synths etc....Then other software can be used other than just Cubase but the sync issues of audio and MIDI and covered?
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, that sounds about right.
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:yes, that sounds about right.
Good..... :lol: .....thats progress on the troubleshooting / studio gear issues -

Another question - Just like a dedicated word clock is much needed is the same true for a MIDI clock? - Advantages? - name some possibly
garyb

Post by garyb »

the sequencer should be the midi clock....
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:the sequencer should be the midi clock....
OK thats sounds fine - If thats best but why are there MIDI clocks on the market then?-some people may not have sequencers.... :roll: