Sync in the pro studio or an amateur one!

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Sync in the pro studio or an amateur one!

Post by garyb »

i suppose some might want to try a super accurate midi clock. a hardware sequencer would probably do the job as well as some dedicated clock. i think some people just have too much money to spend.
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:i suppose some might want to try a super accurate midi clock. a hardware sequencer would probably do the job as well as some dedicated clock. i think some people just have too much money to spend.
Ouch..... :lol: ...It was a serious question but MIDI clock isn't needed but I wasn't sure - On the other hand if it did improve the MIDI timing.... :P

At the outset with the Creamware cards the learning curve was very steep and knowing what was needed was uncertain sometimes.

Its clear though that the Creamware / S|C route was not a cheap one for anyone but one that was worthwhile....
garyb

Post by garyb »

:lol:
sure. i think a hardware midi clock would be more accurate/tight than a PC sequencer, but it's still midi, which is sloppy by definition. i'd use a hardware sequencer, if the computer sequencer isn't tight enough. hardware sequencers are very inexpensive these days. it's questionable if the extra complication is actually helpful, but for some music it would be.
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:yes, that's basically it.

clock(sync) can be sent via a digital output, so that's how say, an adat connection usually works. one adat device is master and it sends clock out it's adat output. the other device is slave and it receives clock via it's adat input. the problem is when you start getting a lot of devices connected together, it starts getting complicated getting a clock signal to each device. some devices only have digital outputs and must be master, so then things get really scary. bnc word clock is a way to send clock to a number of devices in a stable, clean way. to do this, each device needs a wordclock input and then you need a master clock/distributor to send clock to each device. bnc word clock cannot be used serially(from one device to another), it must be used in parallel(each unit having it's own port on the master clock) for stability. you can have a mix of wordclock and other methods, but all wordclock is cleaner and more likely to be stable.
I've got another query on the word clock - I'll try to keep it simple - Focusing on another audio interface - a small desktop unit with ADAT input for 8 ins [optical in] - [along with 2 mic line ins/2 line out]-that is it for connections! - Fostex VC-8 does have a word IN only so from what you've mentioned will need to be slaved to word clock master. The question is that this audio interface has no sync other than ADAT [optical] input but with an ADAT 8 I/O it can be slaved via Fostex VC-8 "word in" - Would this SYNC the AUDIO INTERFACE via the Fostex VC-8 with all other Scope hardware assuming all other digital items were connected correctly?

You did mention things can get scary with lots of digital I/O but by taking a step by step or computer by computer approach it can be broken down into its little bits. I write this query to check that an external 8 I/O box can form the basis of successful sync to AN other soundcard [audio interface]. I've run it through in my mind and don't see why this wouldn't work in theory if appropriate alterations were made in the audio interface sync options and maybe the software sequencer sync options too, assuming they were available.

Another query! - With the Scope hardware - whether its PCI cards or Xite-1 the software is the same so the latency is the same in the audio settings -

If there are one or two other audio cards from different manufacturers which each have different audio latencies - but all computers are synced properly - What is the relevance of the differences / discrepancies with different audio interfaces/sound cards in a combined DAW?
garyb

Post by garyb »

if you use the bnc connector(word in), you need to have a master clock/distributor and clock everything that way. actually, you can just use a word clock out from another device into the vc8, but that must be the only bnc connection. word clock does not like to be connected serially. the vc8 would have to be master otherwise since it only has a digital output.

sure it works. you just need to pay attention to possible master/slave relationships. in any case, there must be one master ONLY.

latency is between the computer and the interface. it's not interface to interface.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hi GaryB,

The Fostex VC-8 is "WORD IN" only - and the interface in question is optical in only [8 inputs]-so the outs on VC-8 in this scenario would not carry anything-

Yes I understand there needs to be a word clock master - [which I don't have yet]-My query was more if what i mentioned would work and you seem to think the VC-8 would work to sync "that audio interface" to a word clock master.

Its good to know that latency is between computer and interface - and not interface to interface -

Its just the planning to get a professionally done home / project studio with everything really well organised - Alot of it is in place - meaning I have alot of the bits -

2 scope computers - pci cards on 1 pc - word clock sync card which i have [hope it works] not tried yet- 2nd hand-+++
xite-1 on pc 2 - cubase vst system link for these two pc's
mac mini with apollo twin - may add another if need be -

another pc focusrite red net audio over lan [really good]- don't own this yet but this is the plan unless it changes-won't be a huge channel count -

The idea would be to word clock all the computers and adats etc.....and sync them over midi too -

Have some sort of external [maybe rackmount save space] digital mixer to run different pc outs into - so one computer could be used on its own or all together if need be -

a control room downstairs - a live room upstairs - hooked up over lan - hence the rednet -

I've been keeping an eye on audinate virtual soundcard which is next to free [low cost]-but doesn't have the performance of rednet -

Also on Motu [lan]- but rednet is expandable -

The scope stuff is of big importance as well -

I won't be putting this together for a while yet so if S|C bring anything out my plan could change -

Just a rough sketch of what I'm looking at ---

If the project / home studio got a little bigger [and I recorded others often] which is doubtful - I could put a live room outside, again over LAN with Red Net -----

The word clock syncronization / studio organisation is a big big one - I'm getting my head round it which is good - but this may be the most complicated part of it -

I've thought this through for a while and its a way of adding the hardware i've bought over the years together with anything else that may be bought in future years -

You may have some good suggestions of your own for me to consider -