STM 2448 headroom...

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

alsound2

STM 2448 headroom...

Post by alsound2 »

Hi everybody,
I'd like to share some doubts about STM2448....
First of all, I actually use Scope system (3 Creamware Pulsar2 cards+Syncplate) and Sfp 4.0 in a dedicated Pc as main routing and mixing platform. My daw is a G5 PowerPc Quad with Logic Studio and DP 5.0 installed and MOTU 2408 mk3 and MOTU 828mkII as cards.
I noticed that if I play a track (professionally mastered) at maximum level on my mac, it clips on STM2448 but not in MOTU environment...it happens always. Each time it happens, I have to adjust the gain knob on stm2448 channel to a safe level (around -5.4 db) to make it play without clipping....The same thing happens if I use the Sonnox Oxford Limiter as an insert on DP or Logic, that is NO PROBLEM on the Mac (MoTu), CLIP on stm2448....
Any experience? Is it a STM2448 headroom issue or a Scope cards related problem?
Is there a mixer for Scope with more headroom than STM2448?
Thanks
Cheers
Stef
wouterz

Re: STM 2448 headroom...

Post by wouterz »

I never have headroom problems with the STM 2448. If you have to turn down the gain knob by -5.4 db to avoid clipping there must be something other setting wrong. Can you post your project file?

From the manual:

Headroom
All buses operate with 24dB of headroom. This means that you can process up to 15 phase-aligned signals peaking at 0dB without risk of internal overs. Since this never happens with real-world music signals you can use all channels without encountering any distortion. If, however, you feel this is not sufficient, you can set all attenuators to, for example, -12dB and use the channel fader above 0dB. This gives you another 12dB of headroom - or 36dB - should you need it. Internally, SFP operates at a 186dB
dynamic range (32 bit) so that even 36dB of headroom is not audible, as 150dB of internal range is still available.
alsound2

Post by alsound2 »

Thank you wouterz.
I'll soon post my project file (I'm actually mounting my Cards in a new pc), but anyway it is really a simple project: The Motus are connected to the creamware cards via adat...then simple L-R to channel 1(stereo mode) of stm2448....this is why it sounds strange to me...I'll check other settings and I'll post here the project file, thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

0db is not necessarily referenced the same in all systems.