some issues with the ZARG SYNTH installations ...

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Gary_101

some issues with the ZARG SYNTH installations ...

Post by Gary_101 »

hi Folks,

just got the keys for the Zarg synth package;
some issues with install ...

1. Q-WAVE device gives an error of DSP file JBMidEV.vxd not found, but this file is in the App/Vxd folder; same thing for the JBCtrlDy.vxd + JBMidPs.vxd + JBCtrlSh.vxd

2. AMBIENT crashes (BSOD, game over) when loading some kind of accessory files (samples?)

3. DARK STAR crashes consistently (BSOD, game over), again when loading samples (?)

4. RED DWARF looks for missing files (/EFfects/Stereo/RD II Modules/Oscillators/Spectal Osc II.dev; also looks for Tube Filter II.dev); I don't believe these files were supplied in the download.

5. SOLARIS v4.1 ... cannot find JBCtrlSh.vxd "the preset file 'sontrol shaper presets is only 95.45% compatible! Proceed anyway?"

6. SOLARIS v5 ... cannot find DSP file: JBCtrlSh.vxd ... this file is indeed present and was copied into the Vxd folder.

On another note, there were a couple of devices downloaded that were unregistered (not part of Zarg package), which brought up the registration nag box: the registration nag does not disappear; the main box will not close, but instead keeps bringing up the secondary box called "Problem - unregistered device detected". There's often no way out of this, except to terminate Scope from the Task Manager. Not a huge issue, once the unregistered devices are nuked.

If anyone has any insights on these, much appreciated....

Gary

system: Dell Optiplex dual core /3gHz / 6 Gig Ram, lots of drive space; SCOPE 5.1... usually runs fine with normal synths, mixers, etc.
dawman

Re: some issues with the ZARG SYNTH installations ...

Post by dawman »

JBowen has some replacements for those as I remember them too.
VXD especially is a Windows 95 carry over which is of little use.
I will search for the files he sent me when I converted to x64 and post them if possible, otherwise tell JB as I know there are much newer replacements in sys. and dsp.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

Yes I have had BSOD's with Ambient it actually crashed just after authorizing it! And I also had all the above missing file warnings, but this is not a gripe would gladly pay for a optimized Xite version.
@ Gary 101 as a matter of interest ..have you the card and what version ? or are you on Xite
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Scroll down to jhulk's posts here for the RDII modules (instructions have you drop them into your Devices/Effects/Stereo folder)
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... 9&start=80

Then get the x64 .sys files from here (place these in your App/Sys folder)
ftp://sonic-core.net/software/scope5/pl ... ions/Zarg/
garyb

Post by garyb »

BSOD mystery solved ftom this thread.

maybe, probably partially-

samples. 64bit = no sample player. try to use STS in 64bit windows, you get a BSOD.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

From what I understand, the VXD files are 32-bit only - some .sys files replaced them for 64-bit.

If you're on a 64-bit installation of Scope on a 64-bit installation of Windows, then make sure you retrieved the installation files for the devices from:
ftp://sonic-core.net/software/scope5/pl ... ions/Zarg/

(I'm on 32-bit Scope and 32-bit Windows 7, so I didn't experience these issues with VXD files).

As for BSODs, have you checked your IRQ Sharing?
I got some BSODs, worked thru IRQ sharing, disabling what devices I could, and have fixed the issue.
It's all discussed here:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32257
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

I updated the files with the Zarg 64bit ones! while loading a preset for ambient I had to browse for a sample and bang a BSOD again !.
Ambient is looking for a sample in an old sfp/samples directory! should I create it((folder) and put the samples there?
its looking for THING A Rs when I load that file from SCOPE XITE/Samples
Attachments
IRQ
IRQ
irq 9.23.13.jpg (228.78 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

no STS based functions in 64bit.
period.
nothing to be done without a complete rebuild of the samplers for 64bit and then John would need to rebuild his synth with the new smaple player. ir's not going to happen in the short term. it's a surprise to everybody.

that's my guess.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

every preset without sample files works great in Ambient! and the IRQ looks good ? its time for more Beer!!!
garyb

Post by garyb »

by the way, yes, those samples go in that samples folder(thing a and b).
Gary_101

Post by Gary_101 »

ShogunSpy wrote:Yes I have had BSOD's with Ambient it actually crashed just after authorizing it! And I also had all the above missing file warnings, but this is not a gripe would gladly pay for a optimized Xite version.
@ Gary 101 as a matter of interest ..have you the card and what version ? or are you on Xite
I'm running an old Pulsar 1 and Pulsar 2 in parallel. No Xite.
garyb

Post by garyb »

64bit?

this problem was unknown. i've reported it.
Gary_101

Post by Gary_101 »

thanks to all for input!
yeah, I recall GaryB mentioning when I upgraded to 5.1/64bit that sample players were now "kaput". Gotta burn that into memory.

i did indeed copy those 64bit sys files over to App/Sys. I guess for Ambient & Dark Star, I'll have to create my own patches; can't tell which presets demand sample access. (or maybe if i move or rename the "samples" folder, it'll prevent the crash; seemed it only crashed after it found the "Thingy".)

a lot of great new potential sound-making equipment here ... and of course, this does call for more beer. Had a great sampler of 4 x 5 oz of assorted craft beers at a trendy little bistro in Vancouver. "Good people drink good beer", says Hunter S Thompson; I'll abide by that. The bartender was Irish, of course, which helped considerably.

to all a Goot Nacht.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

Yes will temporally rename samples folder and weed out the presets and delete them!
There's domestic beer and then there's Beer! I especially Love all dark beers like my women ..but then I am Irish so what would I know!! :lol:
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Are the 64-bit versions publicly available? This thread is of interest to me as I am probably getting a 64-bit laptop this year.
garyb

Post by garyb »

ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

So does this go for any device that uses Samples on a 64 bit system? RD Drum? I have not used STS sampler yet
Last edited by ShogunSpy on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
neuromantik

Post by neuromantik »

garyb wrote:no STS based functions in 64bit.
period.
nothing to be done without a complete rebuild of the samplers for 64bit and then John would need to rebuild his synth with the new smaple player. ir's not going to happen in the short term. it's a surprise to everybody.

that's my guess.
Things that don't work I can deal with (no 64 bit sample modules: check, sample pool memory leak: check, no sequencers in modules/synths: check).
However, isn't there some kind of try {} catch {} that could be done for the next version so that BSODs are a thing of the past? :) It's killing my disks!! :lol:
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:by the way, yes, those samples go in that samples folder(thing a and b).
Zombie thread, I know ...

but I´m missing the sample "Thing B -R"

Cannot find in my downloaded zip files from NSA ZARG deal,- but some presets ask for.
There are Thing A -L / Thing A -R and Thing B -L only,- and some others not called "Thing" at all.

Anyone ?

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
guppy

Post by guppy »

Same here, i've searched Thing B -R in my folders, and i can't find it.