VDAT for bounce

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

babaorum

VDAT for bounce

Post by babaorum »

I often read that VDAT sound is better than other stuff (in sequencer daw for exemple).
Do you think that if I record only the mixing file (final bounce) of a stereo track in VDAT I'll have a better sound than if I just export from cubase the wav file ? (to import the VDAT file in wavelab for the mastering)

thanks,
baba
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
babaorum

Re: VDAT for bounce

Post by babaorum »

up !

what's the better routing for you ?

1) mix cubase > vdat > wavelab > export
2) mix cubase > export > wavelab > vdat
3) mix cubase > vdat > wavelab > vdat

?
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
Gatam

Post by Gatam »

Hi :-)

Multi out Cubase to Scope via Asio or Adat ->
Mix and Sum in Scope ->
Vdat

It's important to Sum as many tracks as you can in Scope (So Less in Cubase) to really feel something change with Vdat

it's just my experience
if we begin to speak about audio sum ... this is a never ending subject :-D
Just try different things and find your way, the way it's sound better for you and your ears
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

Ho yes it's already that I do with cubase in 10 output asio bus , ok so I record the mixing in vdat.
I'll try this for my next project, I'll do the 2 and will compare.
Thanks for your comment,
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Hey cool idea.
I do keep reading that Vdat sounds better.
I'm similar. Most of the summing and mixing happens inside scope (stm mixer) and i have been routing the stereo out back into cubase for a final stereo recording.
Will try vdat out for recording the final stereo file.
But doesn't vdat anly do mono files? How do you record a final stereo interleaved .wav file?
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

You must paste the two mono files in a stereo one.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

babaorum wrote:You must paste the two mono files in a stereo one.
So just open up soundforge (or wavelab if thats what you use), create a new blank stereo file and then copy in the the left and right mono files vdat created into it?
And then when saving the stereo file with soundforge nothing will be lost from the vdat nicness?

Cheers.
petal

Post by petal »

Don't ask too many questions - It's black magic you know...
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

petal wrote:Don't ask too many questions - It's black magic you know...
Whats black magic then?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

Liquid EDGE wrote: So just open up soundforge (or wavelab if thats what you use), create a new blank stereo file and then copy in the the left and right mono files vdat created into it?
And then when saving the stereo file with soundforge nothing will be lost from the vdat nicness?

Cheers.
I suppose I never had done that operation ...
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

You can get a command line tool...there's one used by the DVD rippers called BeSweet. It *can* do various transcoding and such, but can also do just basic Left.wav + Right.wav = Stereo.wav (in a stereo fashion).
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

cheers jksuperstar.

I assume using that would have the least effect on the files, thinking that doing it in soundforge like i described would have some sort of effect when being saved.. hmmmm i have no idea. :P
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

In Soundforge: Import Left-Import Right then Save a Interleaved Stereo. Its that Simple^^.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

:)