Is there a device that allows you to convert velocity to any

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

hesnotthemessiah

Is there a device that allows you to convert velocity to any

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

Hi there peeps!! :D Is there a device that allows you to convert velocity to any controller? Been searching long and hard but not found anything. Currently using Scope 4.5 .
Neil B

Re: Is there a device that allows you to convert velocity to

Post by Neil B »

Hiya

Do you mean a device to control velocity via a midi controller or to convert velocity to something else?

If you mean the former, yes, there is & I can get it to the Winersh Triangle via a zip file (or I'll find it's name & point you in the right direction in the devices section).
If you mean the latter, not sure.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

The one I use is the VM-1 velocity mapper & I map min velocity to , say CC25 and max velocity to CC26 and control them through either my Kenton Kontrol Freak or Korg Nanocontroller

Bit frustrating in that you have to map it every time you use Scope (doesn't retain the midi cc's), but otherwise just the job.

Have a search for it
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

From what I understand you wish to be able to get velocity information from played midi note and trnsform them in MIDI CC messages, no?

SpaceF Midi CC5 is provide something even more powerfull to transform 1 Midi CCto up 5 transformed messages.
But you cannot select velocity there. Maybe a simple Vel>Fixed MIDI CC would help you ?

And did you check if there is something usefull in Wolf Audio Toolbox ?
hesnotthemessiah

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

Thanks for all the replies. :wink:

As HUROLURA puts it, I wish to be able to get velocity information from played midi notes and transforming them into MIDI CC messages. So, if I hit a key, a velocity value of 67 can then be transformed into a midi cc2 message with a value of 67 (which could be scaled to a different value if required) . A device's parameters could then be controlled by velocity if that device's parameters were set to receive cc2 messages. For example, Inferno provides velocity control over the amount it's filter envelope affects the filter. But I just want velocity control over the decay level of it's filter envelope. Having the option of velocity control over any parameter of a device would be really great!! Something like the Cyprox by DJ Micron device but with the additional choice of Velocity in the Input CC box.

HUROLURA:- I have got the Wolf Audio Toolbox Extended but there is nothing to convert velocity to cc in it.

Neil B:- I have the VM-1 velocity mapper but never really used it. It seems to allow you to define a min and max velocity value and then all velocity data received into it is then converted to either that min or max velocity value . If the velocity level into the VM-1 is less than 81 then the velocity value is converted to the min velocity value . If the velocity level into the VM-1 is over 80, it is converted to the max velocity value . I would really like to know how you use the VM-1 Neil (what devices do you use the VM-1 with within Scope and in what way) as I can't really see any use for it in the way I do stuff. Did a search of Planet Z but could find no other mention of it. Maybe the way you use it might be an eye opener for me. :wink: But it doesn't do what I want in terms of actually converting velocity data to cc data. So, you know the Winnersh Triangle? I am actually in Tilehurst. Are you from around these parts? :)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

That's a tough one..it would have to be Mono only. Since there are not polyphonic control messages. So you'd have to map the current playing note's velocity only. Unless the velocity is taken from the first note played, and once the gate is triggered, the following notes don't effect any envelopes.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

No, I'm not from around those parts. I did some IT courses down there many years ago. I'm from stoke on Trent, but currently sit on the board of the escape commitee :-)
In fact Reading is the only place I have ever been arrested & I can assure you it was a case of mistaken identity. having said that, don't invite me for a cuppa - the nightmares remain after 20 years

Okay - I have an M-Audio 88ES keyboard which is velocity sensitive but you really have to hit the keys hard for max velocity and on top of that I'm not the most expressive player. I used to have an SY77, which had a velocity slider on it and so the VM-1 replaces that.

In my projects I have Midi A source (to midi filter) to VM-1 to Sequencer midi destination for Cubase work or
Midi A source to VM-1 to eg Blue Synth to Mixer for Scope only
If you put the midi monitor in parallel with the VM-1 you can see your velocity (cc)

Now from the keyboard I midi out to a hardware midi controller (control freak) where I have set up one slider with the min & max midi assignments I set up on the VM-1. Therefore I can control both min & max velocities from one slider - they're both the same value as the slider moves both VM-1 knobs.
I've just dropped inferno in and set the filter decay to one of the vm-1 cc's and it worked fine. As the velocity increased, so did the filter decay.
Hope that helps
wolf

Post by wolf »

hesnotthemessiah wrote:I have got the Wolf Audio Toolbox Extended but there is nothing to convert velocity to cc in it.
Hi,

of course you can do this with the MTB, you just may want to use modular and build your own converter :

- extract, what you want via MVC
(- do things with the "what you wanted to extract" signal)
- route to the val2control module (maybe a async/sync converter is needed)

best,
Wolfgang